Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Grass  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I've been using different grass seeds with poor results.  Even the type that say will grow anywhere.  I have seen this info comercial that is some green liquid with grass seeds mixed in that they say will grow anywhere in any place.  I think it's worth the 20 bucks for one container to try it out.  I think they use this stuff here for new grass to grow in the parks.  It looks like the same stuff.  What do you think?  good luck.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Been down the same path Reiny. Reb turned me onto this. Menards, shulz brand grass seed had worked great for me.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Don't waste yer money, RH. That's just crap grass seed in a watery liquid fertilizer that's basically useless.  I've spent lotsa years doing lawn care, after taking schooling in turf care. Here's what to do...depending on how big an area you have. Prepare the area by raking up the soil well, or lay down a bed of GOOD black topsoil. Use a good northern seed mix, I use Schulz Hardy Lawn, or the mix that depends on your sun'shade conditions. They also make a quick lawn, which is more fescues that grow quickly. Might be better suited for you. ( They're labelled as such for what areas) that is a mix of Kentucky Blues, which is the predominant cultivar in Minnysoda, along with some ryegrass, which is a fast sprouter, and some fine fescues that will help "blend" the mix. ALWAYS look on the back of the bag, and check the Test Date which should be a few months old at the time of purchase. Watch out for the big box store "carryover" bags from the last year. Spread the seed at about  60% coverage rate, ie; how much "area" between" seeds , so as to allow room for the seed to expand and grow. Too much seed can actually crowd out and kill the seedlings. Rake back the dirt lightly over the seed, and fertilize lightly with a good starter fertilizer,  and water DAILY, so as to keep the seed damp...do NOT let it dry out. Two days of dry will kill it. After 10-15 days, seed should be sprouting. Continue to water until seed is at least  1 1/2" tall and established. You can also get some the of the seed, fertilizer, and mulch, which is usually cellulose or wood pulp, in a jug that will cover about 75 sq ft. Hydroseeding in a jug, so to speak. Follow directions on container. Hope that helps ya get started...

https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/seeds-bulbs/schultz-reg-quick-lawn-grass-seed-mixture-3-lbs/p-1444424694342.htm
« Last Edit: April 04/05/17, 10:51:24 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Reb!!  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No, you need the good luck!  Let us know what happens....99% of the seed failure is improper surface prep and insufficient watering.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I think you are right on that one Reb.  I didn't do all the things you said to do.  Did some of the things but didn't water it enough.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had to mow again yday...second time in a week. Grass is really going to town. Boulevard that the $#@! GAS CO ruined last year, (No grass there this Spring),  where I put down new topsoil, seeded, fertilized and mulched three weeks ago, (what a job!)  has come in just dandy. Watered daily. A few weeks of warm weather and it should be solid and filled in, and have some good strong, roots down.  :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/22/17, 09:31:43 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks good!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I had to mow again yday...second time in a week. Grass is really going to town. Boulevard that the $#@! GAS CO ruined last year, (No grass there this Spring),  where I put down new topsoil, seeded, fertilized and mulched three weeks ago, (what a job!)  has come in just dandy. Watered daily. A few weeks of warm weather and it should be solid and filled in, and have some good strong, roots down.  :happy1:
so??? show us a picture of your OTHER grass crop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smoking_a_joint-408.gif smoking_a_joint-408.gif :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sshhh...Del's holding on to that one...   He's prolly mowing his new crop with the Deltron Custom Grass Widget Whacker... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: April 04/23/17, 09:14:36 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Up until last year I have had the same issue with not being able to grow grass. Talked to a local landscaper and he said to first make sure the seed I'm planting is in fact for my area. Most important factor in growing grass according to him. He also said that normally the big box stores sell a general type of grass seed good for some areas but it may not be for our area or climate. I went with the Scotts Hardy brand like he told me and I'll tell you, that stuff grows!! Didn't seem to matter what kind of soil I planted it. I have sand, clay and black dirt areas in my yard and it grew in all areas. Better in the black dirt but still grew in the other places.
Also, In my opinion, plant a lot of it! I eventually bought a 40 pound bag of seed to just throw out on light spots around the yard and spread it heavy. Good luck to you!
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
You need to read the bag of seed you buy....that's the most important issue.  What variety or cultivar do you want? Most northern climates cool season grasses are a mixture of perennial ryes and cold-resistant blue grasses, which are the predominant cultivar for our northern climate. These may be mixed with fine fescues and fast growing rye grasses. Different cultivars are continuously being developed, just like improved strains of tomatoes, etc. I'd honestly say I've never seen non-cool climate grasses sold in a big box store, ie; bermuda grass, zoysia, etc. Also, every bag has a "test date" on it, make sure it's within a few months of when you buy it..lots of older carryover bags in stores, that's part of the issue. Also check the percentage of weed particles in a bag of seed, shoot for no lower than 99%. When seeding, make sure the ground is WELL loosened up, the seed is raked in and covered, and kept watered every day for the first two weeks, then watered until it's at least 1 1/2" high and establishing itself. Hitting too heavy with seed will also kill off the seedlings; too close together and they struggle competing and trying to grow. I would bet the "Hardy lawn" mix you used is really Schultz grass seed, Scotts doesn't make a "Hardy Lawn" that I'm aware of. The Schultz Hardy Lawn is what I use, it's an excellent seed and bluegrass/ryegrass blend.  :happy1: