Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Strawberry's  (Read 2401 times)

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Any tips on planting and growing strawberry's? I bought 20 plants last week and want to get them in the ground but I have done this before with no luck. I have planted them in full sun, light soil and no weeds and still no luck. What do I need to get them to take off?
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
PF I've had a strawberry patch I started wit 50 plants 18 years back.I had so many berries we gave 1/2 to 3/4 away,The patch expanded to 100s of sisters.Now its dieing off cause a couple basswood trees grew an shaded the area. When we first started I hauled in compost from the county landfill 8 inches deep an tilled it in then tested PH and used acidic fertlizer.Thing about those berries is PH facter a neutral facter is about 7 and strawberries need a lessor PH around 5.5 to 6.5 more acidic.Thats the key.Can you test the PH of yer soil? There some cheap testers out there.Get the PH down to the 5.5 to .6.5 and keep it there with a acidic fertlizer. I'll guess if you test yer soil it will be about 7.0 to 7.3 or higher meaning to alkaline for strawberries.Use some fertlizer for blueberries,Azaliea an the like.Get the soil acidic then plant.If I remember right the strawberries will keep the soil right as long as you dont clean out decaying plants an leaves.Plant early and June bearing berries an you'll get strawberries from late     may till mid July Water if its dry!!
 When Reb reads this he'll rmember strawberry fields forever but he's a putz along with the smelt begger!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :surrender: :surrender: :moon:
« Last Edit: April 04/24/17, 03:29:53 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
PF I've had a strawberry patch I started wit 50 plants 18 years back.I had so many berries we gave 1/2 to 3/4 away,The patch expanded to 100s of sisters.Now its dieing off cause a couple basswood trees grew an shaded the area. When we first started I hauled in compost from the county landfill 8 inches deep an tilled it in then tested PH and used acidic fertlizer.Thing about those berries is PH facter a neutral facter is about 7 and strawberries need a lessor PH around 5.5 to 6.5 more acidic.Thats the key.Can you test the PH of yer soil? There some cheap testers out there.Get the PH down to the 5.5 to .6.5 and keep it there with a acidic fertlizer. I'll guess if you test yer soil it will be about 7.0 to 7.3 or higher meaning to alkaline for strawberries.Use some fertlizer for blueberries,Azaliea an the like.Get the soil acidic then plant.If I remember right the strawberries will keep the soil right as long as you dont clean out decaying plants an leaves.Plant early and June bearing berries an you'll get strawberries from late     may till mid July Water if its dry!!
 When Reb reads this he'll rmember strawberry fields forever but he's a putz along with the smelt begger!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :surrender: :surrender: :moon:
hey you ...........you ...............you......... tut_tut-3315.gif :censored: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087 :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: crazy-2239.gif doofus-2124.gif i didnt beg fer nuttin.............simply stated i aint had smelt in years!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
hey you ...........you ...............you......... tut_tut-3315.gif :censored: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 training-087 :taz: :taz: :taz: :taz: crazy-2239.gif doofus-2124.gif i didnt beg fer nuttin.............simply stated i aint had smelt in years!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here we go EH!! Did I mention yer name??Well other than Putz which you stole from me :doah: :moon: :moon:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Only an anal probe would bury putz-calling deep in a nonsensical narrative about strawberries.  :rolleyes:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Only an anal probe would bury putz-calling deep in a nonsensical narrative about strawberries.  :rolleyes:
my my......thats deep!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Need a enema REB?? maybe a strawberry one??Smile be happy!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
my my......thats deep!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao:

HA! That's what dewberry said.  :rotflmao:   Nope, Del is the resident expert on enemas and colon probing. Speaking of, where's he been.....did he get over-soused?  :scratch: confused-3316.gif
« Last Edit: April 04/24/17, 03:44:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
The first year once you get them going pinch as many blossoms off as ya can. It will put more into your plant establishing a good root system. And it doesn't hurt to cover them with straw or leaves that first winter as well.
After year 2 and every year after, till up the old plants in the spring and pick berries off the runners/or sisters as dew called them from the previous year. This will prevent disease and mis-shaped berries with the scabbed up ends.
Once that patch is established, you can't give them enough water.
If anybody is close to my area You can come get as many plants as you like come end of July!!
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Advise above is fine. But first you need to tell me what variety you bought. There are 3 kinds of strawberries and over the past 40 years I  have grown varieties of all 3. They all require different planting and growing methods. Juneberring.....Everbearing and Day Nuetral.....So......what variety did you get?
« Last Edit: April 04/25/17, 06:56:11 PM by KEN W »
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Advise above is fine. But first you need to tell me what variety you bought. There are 3 kinds of strawberries and over the past 40 years I  have grown varieties of all 3. They all require different planting and growing methods. Juneberring.....Everbearing and Day Nuetral.....So......what variety did you get?

Thanks for the advice guys, The ones I bought are the Juneberring verity. Two years ago, I bought the Everbearing and Day nuetral verities and they took off at first and then fizzled late summer. Last year I got another batch of everbearing from a friend and they did not even take. over 40 sets of roots and none of them grew. 
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....