Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Hummingbird birds  (Read 30304 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :laugh: It seems like when we have a lot of wind they are a pretty scarce around here too. :scratch: I'm surprised you see any. ;) :rotflmao:  Seriously though, we have 2 feeders out & the only 1 we see them at, when it's real windy, is the 1 on the south side of the cabin & back on the edge of the woods. The other is along the shoreline & we rarely see them there when it blows very hard.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
speakingnof hummers... i could use one..... in the back yard....... at the feeder.
:tut: :tut: :tut: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
speakingnof hummers... i could use one..... in the back yard....... at the feeder.
:tut: :tut: :tut: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty:

That's how Glenn got a black eye on his first date! He was nervous, trying to think of something to say, when he just blurted out "I like hummers"!  :shocked:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 09/11/17, 09:13:11 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have bee hives across the hwy from us.  They are about 400 yds from our house.  We have 2 humming bird feeders right outside our windows.  This time every year the bees start eating the sugar water and grape jelly we have out.  This year there has been hundreds of bees here.  The hummers can't get close to the feeders.  May as well take them down.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anybody else have any hummingbirds around yet? Far and few between here. Thinking about taking them feeders down next week! :scratch:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
We always put up a hummin boyd feeder at da cabin while on vacation. Dis year Borgie bought one a dem-dare fancy deluxe feeder$$$$. We never seen even one a dem air hummin boyds'. Udder yrs. dares plenty. Here at home saw one yesterday at da feeder but he was jest sittin on da pole an den took off! I've seen one here an dare buzzin round da pine tree. I wonder if day like da sticky sap leaks from da tree? :scratch:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dem hummingbirds are like us poor union folk.... Nuttin fancy!! :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of hummers (with wings) around here lately.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dem hummingbirds are like us poor union folk.... Nuttin fancy!! :happy1:

ahhhh..... :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well I done think they flew da coop up nort. . didn't see or hear a loon either.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just did!!  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the hummer done left Itasca county...……...I think they left cold spring too!!!!!! feeders are going to get taken down, cleaned up and put away. but man are my wasp traps filling up fast. :doofus: 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Saw one at the ranch this a.m. working the feeder. Cleaned and refilled the feeders for what is most likely the last time for the year. Heard one buzzing around about dusk so hopefully I get a glimpse of it in the morning. They had left the cabin in Canada several days ago according to a friend there who also feeds the hummers. We refilled those feeders too just in case but unlikely they'll be used. Always a little bit of a bummer when they leave. Means we're getting closer to putting up with this crap again.  :angry:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
buzzing...…………..dusk...…….I think its the gin!!!!!!!!!! :drinking: :tequila; :tequila; :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

After 3 years of trying at home and up at the camper I gave up and throw my feeder in the trash! I've had more Oriole at the feeder then hummers!  :pouty:
Dam things are just another Big Foot story!  :mad1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

After 3 years of trying at home and up at the camper I gave up and throw my feeder in the trash! I've had more Oriole at the feeder then hummers!  :pouty:
Dam things are just another Big Foot story!  :mad1:

But, if ya check yer hollow trees, ya might find Glenns' relatives...those cookie elves....
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 06:29:50 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
the hummer done left Itasca county...……...I think they left cold spring too!!!!!! feeders are going to get taken down, cleaned up and put away. but man are my wasp traps filling up fast. :doofus: 
Seemed like all our hummingbirds were gone 'bout a week before we left, mid-September. I was still seeing a few Loons around out on our lake. They're not like the ones Reb's hearin though. ;) :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, mosta those are small and blue. Sometimes squeek.   :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :pouty: :pouty: :mooning:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Alas, no hummer this a.m., the bird kind or otherwise.   :sad: 
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :pouty: :pouty: :mooning:

Hey, ya don't haveta read it................do ya?   :mooning:   :nerd:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Good news: Still at least one hummingbird here at lunchtime. Working on the potted plants and cannas. As an added bonus there was also a white-lined sphinx moth working over the impatiens. In addition a sasquatch happened by so need to clean out their feeder tonite. Don't want them to feel left out. :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/26/19, 05:12:27 PM by Dotch »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna take our feeders down this weekend.  Haven't seen one for a week or two.  They like the glass feeder we bought this year the best. 

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still at least one hummingbird here yet. Saw it as I was walking towards the garage after chores. It was working over the flowering pots on the north side of the garage. Saw one last nite too on the cannas by the well when I was filling the brood ewes' water tank. One of these days the hummers will be gone. Oh well, at least I can still feed the sasquatch.  :happy1: 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm  :scratch: had a couple hummingbirds last night, there noticeably absent today. :scratch: :doah:

Musta done flew da coop!! :doah: just anudder sign snow will be here before we know it.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
had very few this summer,put out extra feeders hoping to attract more  little hummer's,didn't work.however they seemed to like my trumpeter vine flowers more than feeders?,I used store bought hummingbird  nectar and also made my own sugar water,neither were a hit,what do you guyz use?
« Last Edit: September 09/17/20, 01:03:50 PM by snow1 »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Still going full bore here. Seems like once the flowers start to wane they pack up and head south. Got to clean and refill one of their feeders with some fresh sugar water. Might last until they leave.

Snow: Just using standard 4:1 water to sugar ratio in our feeders w/o any food coloring. The one feeder is actually an oriole feeder but the hummingbirds love it so I leave it up. We've got a wide range of flowers from petunias, coleus, impatiens, salvia, morning glories, 4 o'clocks and cannas. All seem to get hit by the hummers at some point. It varies by summer as to their favorites here. This year they've seemed to lean heaviest on the 4 o'clocks, morning glories and cannas. They use the feeders too and appear to spend more time chasing each other around than feeding.