Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New-ish to MN - Picking a region to hunt...  (Read 1698 times)

Offline SpaceballOne

Hi everyone, my family is relatively new to MN. We moved up from Texas about 6 years ago where we hunted extensively at my in-laws' property. We're looking at buying some property to hunt here in MN, so i was hoping for a little guidance on where to look from some experienced folks here.

If i understand correctly, in most areas a MN license is good for only one buck that has to meet antler minimums. To get a doe or smaller buck, you have to apply for and win a lottery permit.

Common sense tells me that it would be better to get property in areas with more lottery permits. The idea being that more lottery permits = a better population and/or greater chance of winning a permit.

Is that correct, or does more permits = more hunters = not as good of a property?

If it makes any difference, we're not terribly concerned with trophy hunting. We mostly just want meat in the freezer, so i'll often pass on the better bucks and shoot the spikes or freaky-antlered guys.

Also - about the antler limits. If i remember right, they have to be 4". How strict is the DNR on that? If i shoot an animal that looks ok in the scope, only to find that it's 1/2" short, am i going to get in trouble?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
welcome to the site,, folks will chime in and help you if they can!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Glad yur here!  ::welcome::

Not all areas are lottery for doe tags....

Some are bucks only
Some are Hunters choice (buck or doe)
Some are managed areas (where you can buy a single doe tag)
Some are lottery (you have to apply)
And some are intensive harvest (where you can purchase doe tags across the counter, up to 5)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline SpaceballOne

Thanks for the welcome..

From what i'm finding, we're almost certain to end up in a lottery area.

HC areas are pretty far away (i live in the cities), Managed areas don't seem to allow rifles, it seems pretty obvious to avoid a Bucks-Only areas, and i'm pretty sure that intensive areas will be too pricey.

What i'm getting at is this.. Let's say i'm comparing two properties - one in area 157 (2500 permits in 2016) another in 159 (500 permits in 2016). How much attention should i pay to the number of permits?

Another question would be how much these numbers change from year to year? If they change a bunch, then it's probably less important than if they stay pretty consistent.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I think in some ways you could be over thinking this, if you driving around and vacationing in the areas you are interested in then look for an area you really like too.  I would think you would more than just deer hunting.  but I could be wrong.  just my 2 cents worth of thinking.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The permit numbers change from year to year depending upon what the DNR believes the quota should be for the population of doe's.

The area, I live in was intensive harvest for 20 years and just changed the last 4 years to hunters choice then back to managed.

So, depending on the doe population, the DNR chooses the permit size if any. Obviously the farther north you go, it changes to bucks only and the land prices are cheaper (except around the tourist towns)

And the rifle zone starts North of Hwy 95, so within and hour or so North of the cities.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline SpaceballOne

Yeah, we're definitely going to use the property for stuff besides deer hunting. The thing is that all of MN is pretty awesome, so if we're going to buy a place, it might as well be in a good area for deer.

< 2 hrs from home is a big deal. Being near-ish to Duluth is a nice bonus. Decent road access & being able to add electric service would be really nice. It's pretty easy to compare all of that stuff.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
look around Aiken area, I think that could a good spot. spent lots of time in that area.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a hunter but ::welcome::, hope you find what you're looking for. :happy1: I gotta believe HD hit on a good point, the more tourism= more $. So staying a ways away from the popular fishing destinations might be a good idea. Just my .02
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Once you narrow in on a spot, maybe ask around with the locals to find out what the wolf population is like.