Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fuel gauge issues  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
So recently my fuel gauge is pegged all the way to the right way past full. Doesn't seem to move at all. I was exploring online that it means there's a ground issue(usually) I checked the ground on the tank(sender unit) regrounded it. Checked the other ground an all was fine there. Took sender wire off fuel gauge an it still stays pegged to the right. I took out the float and moved it up an down with no results on the gauge. Im at a loss, no idea what's going on. It worked the week before opener when I had it out.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
I'm probably da last guy you want an opinion from but, here goes. Could it have something to do with your gas tank vent line is not venting properly :scratch:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Troubleshooting that issue....

You're dealing with 3 main components that could be the source of the problem: the gauge, the wiring and the sender or switch.

Temperature, Oil and Fuel Gauges

If a Gauge is pegged (up-scale) Temperature, Oil and Fuel Pressure:
1.Disconnect wire from the sending unit on the engine, if gauge moves to low-scale the sender is bad.
2.If the gauge does not respond, disconnect the wire from the "S" terminal on the back of the gauge, if the gauge moves to low-scale, the wiring is grounded.

My guess is the sending unit has shorted out....and with the other probs ya had with the kill switch, I'd say someone did a cobble-job wiring issue somewhere. Sounds like you have a resistance or negative prob somewhere in your system that is shorting out, IMO.
« Last Edit: May 05/20/17, 07:52:35 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
I did disconnect it from the back of the fuel gauge. Took the whole cluster off an removed it, nothing happened. Followed thrower to the bow an under the floor it went. Took the floor off an exposed the tank. Inspected the wires an none were broken or exposed. Tried to take the ground screw off but it broke. So I regrounded it to a mounting screw. Followed the green wire to the bottom of the rail(where the fuel cap is) that one was a bit loose so I tightened that down.but still the same results.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Gotta be a cooked sender or the gauge, Cody. I'd go with the sending unit first, have the resistance in it checked. (That's what the float does; varies the rheostat resistance)
PS...that mounting screw may not be a good enough ground.
« Last Edit: May 05/20/17, 08:06:47 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
Being a hvac guy I suppose I should of taken out the trusted voltmeter an ohmed out the sender.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
While googling it before. I seen guys had issues with there floats sticking because of seafoam. Anyone ever heard of that issue before? (I always add seafoam to all of my engines)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope, not me...unless it dissolves the gum in the crappy gas they have...that might goo it up. I'd question as to how they know it was the Seafoam. I use it too.  :scratch:
« Last Edit: May 05/20/17, 08:53:30 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
The float is actually made of a solid plastic material. There is no cavity in the float. It appears that the solid plastic design is only slightly lighter than gasoline and, when Sea Foam is added, the specific gravity of the gasoline changes and the float sinks.

So it makes the float slightly heavier then the gas an it sinks

(Not the problem I'm having)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy, must be a lot of Seafoam!!!!!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
26 ounces in a 32 gallon tank or something like that. I dunno I've never had a issue in any of my engines with it,then again most don't have a float to mess with

Offline hawg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cody, read this post
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536090&highlight=hawg

I had similar problems and went thru everything you are. I will say 90% of the issues are sending unit and ground but there are some easy tests that people helped me with in the post. It's a helpless feeling, I tried every ground, ran new wires ...........................on and on and on. The gauge itself doesn't seem to be the problem very often. Both parts are pretty inexpensive but it seems-It's Always The Ground!.
« Last Edit: May 05/22/17, 10:05:16 AM by hawg »
I've been your age, you never been mine!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
So I have it figured out. After serious troubleshooting I resorted to the gold old fashion give it a whack on the gauge it's self an well it works now so I need a new gauge.