Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wild Parsnips!  (Read 3209 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
WARNING: PLEASE TELL YOUR KIDS TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLANT AND NOT TO PICK IT. Some kids might think its a pretty flower!!! If you are out and about taking nature walks, do NOT touch this weed/plant. Its called Wild Parsnip and it will give you a chemical burn/rash. The DNR says not to even weed wip it because it might get on your skin. If you think poison ivy hurts....rub up against this crap once. PLEASE RE-POST/SHARE!!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
oh yea..........my mom had a bout with that. wasnt pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Dem's nasty!! I'm gonna give the lazy I-won't-trim-my-weeds neighbor a BIG bouquet of them!!!   :evil:  :rotflmao:

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow!!! Did not know this.  I will keep my eye for this for sure.  I stay away from poison ivy because I have had fun with them but this stuff looks worse.  I also had blisters from poison ivy.  Thanks HD for this info.  good luck.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The sap in the plant is actually activated by the sun, and symptoms do not usually appear for 2-4 hours later. There is nothing you can do, except wash the area with soap and water, then cover with a cool cloth...because it's actually a BURN you've received, just like a severe sunburn. Calamine lotion and such will just make it worse. I learned this when getting my EMT Instructor's licence...we taught a lot of farmers around here in first aid classes.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
holy crapola, that's nasty, hopefully not your or your family's foot!!  dang
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
And the effects of this can continue for a year I believe.  Whenever you are in the sun it can reoccur.  Very bad stuff.  We have found some in ditches here in LOW County and have sprayed for it.  Then 2 years ago as I am walking down our path to the dock here is 3 big plants of this right along our path.  I couldn't believe it.  I got two big leaf type trash bags and put it on the three plants and with leather gloves pulled them out of the ground and stuffed the roots and all into the bags.  The ironic thing is that you can actually eat the root part which is the parsnip part.  DO NOT DO IT!!!   I just read it somewhere and it may not be accurate.  BOAR DO NOT PUT IT IN SAUSAGE!!!!   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There are a couple of other common plants that look like this plant.  Close but not exact as HD's picture shows.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Stick it in Glenn's garden and tell him it's dill.   :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Stick it in Glenn's garden and tell him it's dill.   :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:moon: dill isn't yellow like that! :moon: :moon:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It does kind of look like Dill too... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

It is now, dillweed!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/23/17, 10:40:54 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
News to me as well,I've seen this plant in my area,makes me wonder if it affects our dogs? or like poisin ivy we can get it from our dogs or from our cloths to skin? burn the crap will  it effect or lungs like poisin ivy?...geesh whats next?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :shocked:

The young plant:
« Last Edit: May 05/23/17, 11:24:24 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I said there is a common plant with the yellow flowers similar to the wild parsnip.  NOT the same plant.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Like I said there is a common plant with the yellow flowers similar to the wild parsnip.  NOT the same plant.

Prairie parsley maybe?

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes that's it Rebs.  The close up of the flowers on the top is what I think it the identifying mark.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
there s a lot of that up north in open areas. its loaded with it on one of the trails we go in on bear baiting.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Actually Glenndall... Mammoth Dill looks very similar....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thank you, HD. I used to pick that all the time for canning. Glenn probably doesn't even.....never mind.  :rolleyes: ;)