Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Update on the pontoon boat.  (Read 1863 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well the pontoon has that crack in the rear that is easy to get to.  There is also a bigger easy to see crack in the weld at the front area of the other pontoon.  No big deal weld them up.  Well I guess you can't weld aluminum upside down.  Vertical yes but not upside down.  SO now I need to take the motor off and flip the thing over or at least on its side.  It is only a 20' so probably won't be that big of a deal.  Have a couple of loaders here at the shop so should work.  I have wondered about foam in the tubes.  When we had the houseboat in Stillwater people used to spray foam in their old steel pontoon boats.  Worked great for a few years and then the foam absorbed water and they weighed a ton.  I have heard the new foam does not absorb water.  I wonder how much that would cost?  Darn always a challenge isn't there?  I guess that is what rounds a guy out... 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
how big is the crack??
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
why can't you drop the tube off?  might be easier, but not sure.  and I was gonna spray foam until you said it soaked up water.  did not know that. 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I do a lot of welding.... I mean....a.lot.....
And welding upside down REALLY sucks!
Impossible? No.....but, it sucks!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Easy-peasey!   :shocked: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya sort of like that... 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
He said alum upside down doesnt work.  Getting the boat on one side so a vertical weld shouldn't be too bad I guess. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I used too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: and I hate to agree wit HD........but I do. it really sucks.  never had any opportunity to learn how to weld aluminum!!!!!!! I did very little. now stainless..........................
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!