Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: lake sakakawea  (Read 3022 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
hey where's corny been????????????

anyways been hearing stories about this system and its awesome fishing. there is a group of local guys that apparently go out there and just pound the fish. as i understand it you can spear both northerns and walleyes on this system. northerns are supposed to be huge. limit is a 10 fish limit per day with no possesion limit with stories of people bringing home 500 lbs of nord fillets.

that has just entered my bucket list. problem is its such a massive system where to go would be the issue. i've heard these guys head to destinations closer to montana then around/north of bismaeck/minot area.

any stories...............experiences anyone???????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
been there done that glenn,not quit that easy and timing is everything,locals pound the pike ,and yes huge pike late ice and right after ice out as they spawn,never herd anything about spearing walleyes? mid summer the walleyes are scattered like everywhere,nothing huge but good size to small,you can troll leadcore all day and scatch out a handful,have a customer that has a resort on south shore out of Hazen nodak.

Better luck and much closer is devils lake.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hmmm.........these guys made it sound like all ya gotta do is get there and cut the spearhole and throw a decoy down?????? and it was well before ice out????

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I suppose there are exceptions,but spring is when they load up on the big girls on south shore,they might be in a different area than Hazen...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea I'm still trying to figure out where they actually went.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
i would love to tip up fish that lake for pike
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Hey Glenn been a Lot busy with the new Job...no you don't need to go to western sakajawea to spear lots of pike.  The mid lake bays have lots of pike and is clearer water for spearing.  I've got a buddy that spears only in the far eastern lake and does well. But if numbers is what you are after there are some central Nodak slough lakes that are jammed with 10 lb pike.  You have to go to Sodak to spear walleye ( lake Oahe) and season for walleye spearing closes in feb.   The big trophy pike are best caught on tip ups late ice or from shore with early open water with ice still in the middle.   Let me know if coming over I'll tell u where my peeps are spearing. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks corny...........it could be a couple years. gotta few more years to work......after that.............. we shall see though.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
work??  how can u sleep.at night knowing thats what u call it.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
work??  how can u sleep.at night knowing thats what u call it.
:moon: training-087 :banghead: good morning to you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: