Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: border waters  (Read 1821 times)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Just saw this, and thought it would be of interest to my northern buddies here.  Yeah, probably should post somewhere else but whatever.....  Feel free. 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2017/06/new_canadian_law_good_news_for_ny_boaters_anglers_on_border_waters.html

It is a federal thing so should also apply to minnesota.

Both houses of the Canadian federal government have passed a new law that when enacted will lift several years of uncertainty concerning the rights of American boaters and anglers on the St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, the Niagara River - in fact, on any border water of the two countries.

Under this new law, which recently passed the Canadian Senate and the Canadian House of Commons, American boaters who do not anchor their boat or step foot on Canadian soil will not have to report to Canadian Customs.

In addition, the measure will also exempt Canadian boaters from being required to report to their customs officials when they return to Canadian waters, as long as they met the same requirements while they traveled in U.S. waters.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
I think that's a good new law for a change.  Makes sense also.  good luck.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That will make it nice for us up here. Hope it covers all of the border.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Very Interesting! Now if they would just allow motors north into the Canadian side of the BWCA.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So no more imaginary line when fishing waters like the Rainy River???  That would be GREAT!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
So no more imaginary line when fishing waters like the Rainy River???  That would be GREAT!!!

That's what it sounds like, which is why I posted it.  I think you would still need an Ontario fishing license (licence?)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

That's what it sounds like, which is why I posted it.  I think you would still need an Ontario fishing license (licence?)

I wonder about the fishing part.  Would be great if we could fish the whole river with our MN license like we can in bordering states.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
So if you had an Ontario license, could you possess a limit from each country?   It will be interesting to see how things work out when this passes.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The answer to that Del is no.  There is a line north of the Morson area that runs parallel to the Rainy River.  Any fish caught in that area are considered in your limit in the Rainy River area.  Does not make sense to me.  Some people from here that owned the Royal Dutchman Motel also owned an island fishing resort by Morson.  I spent times up there with them.  I thought since I had an Ontario License I could have a limit from there and then fish on the MN side and catch another limit here. But no you can't.  Any fish caught in that "area" are considered in your daily and possession limit here.  AND if you fish in Canadian waters you can not keep a fish over 18" so if you have a 19" fish that you just caught a few minutes ago on the MN side you are in trouble.  I think that if you have live bait you may need a receipt from Canada saying you bought the bait there since you can't take it across the border with you except for night crawlers.  That is why when I moved up here I decided it was worthless to get a remote border pass to fish the Canadian side.  And no beer allowed in boats in Canada.  If you have a 12 pack and that paper case is opened even if you don't have an open beer it is like an open bottle I believe.  You can transport beer but don't open the package it is in.  Verify this yourselves but this is what I have learned....   SO I sure hope you only have to honor your home countries fishing rules if this open water thing happens otherwise it is not really a big deal and may actually entrap many people thinking they do have the same rights on that side of the river.   

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting information.  Thanks.