Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fresh Polish Sausage  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
A friend of mine wanted to have me make some brat's for his work party.  They will have other things also but wanted 50 links of sausage.  So I decided to make fresh polish for them.  25 pounds  total.  50 links for the party and the rest for me.  Used Curley's fresh Polish mix.  I did add cure to it.  Gives extra flavor and a nice color.  Also added the powdered milk, some mustard seeds and 6 cups water.  good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06/23/17, 03:34:38 PM by Reinhard »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Beautiful!  So 100% turkey?

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Must of had a senior moment.  How the hell did I type turkey there  :scratch:  Maybe the after effects of too many adult beverages while fishing up in Duluth yesterday.  No, Mostly pork butt and rest beef.  good luck.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Umm num...RH polish!!   :tongue:  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I am glad I asked.  This has always perplexed me.  They talk about how healthy turkey is instead of red meats..  AND I think all of the Subway meats are actually turkey and that is why they have such good calorie ratings.  BUT we all look down on the hot dogs with turkey in them.  Kind of ironic that the supposed healthy meat actually makes the hot dogs real junk food. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
One more question RH.  What percent of pork and beef do use in your brats?

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
It's never the same LPS.  I get as close to 20 pounds of pork as I can and then the rest beef for example.  I think this time It was 18 pounds of butts and 7 beef.  It's always a lot more pork than beef.  Beef adds some extra great flavor.  It could be all pork but not all beef for me in these types of sausage.  Now summer sausage types is the complete opposite.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
awsome. its never the same for me either. ki da depends on what im making
 at the time
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My summer sausage was great the first time with 3/4 beef and 1/4 pork.  The last time I made it I used mostly pork and it is not nearly as good. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I am glad I asked.  This has always perplexed me.  They talk about how healthy turkey is instead of red meats..  AND I think all of the Subway meats are actually turkey and that is why they have such good calorie ratings.  BUT we all look down on the hot dogs with turkey in them.  Kind of ironic that the supposed healthy meat actually makes the hot dogs real junk food.

if I remember right it is lots!!!!!!!    of turkey!!!!!  been a while....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

if I remember right it is lots!!!!!!!    of turkey!!!!!  been a while....
speaking of a  :Turkey: :laughroll: :laughroll:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Who you calling a turkey Glenn???? 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
he was looking in the mirror!! :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Just realize that's coming from a little blue guy who lives in the forest under polka-dotted mushrooms.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
My summer sausage was great the first time with 3/4 beef and 1/4 pork.  The last time I made it I used mostly pork and it is not nearly as good.

Yes......pork makes a soft summer sausage. We prefer at least 50% beef in summer sausage.Goose or duck is even softer.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Softer is a good way to describe it.  I really am not too crazy about it.  Wouldn't give any of it away.  UNLESS, hey Glenn want some sausage???

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
give it to Glenn he'll eat anything!!  that is except GOOD BACON!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
fric and frac.... Aka. Reb and Mikey;

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
fric and frac.... Aka. Reb and Mikey;

Yup, right from Glenn and buddy. Choose the buddy..... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Supposed to be a rainy day today so I thawed out 12 lbs of ground pork.  I will add 3 lbs of beef.  I went to town yesterday after reading this thread and got a High Mountain German Sausage kit.  I think I will keep it fresh instead of smoking them.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Next I need some summer sausage for sandwiches at work. 

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
good luck barry, myself would throw away the directions. and add at 15 lbs of meat.  i would add the water it calls for and then 1 cup of powerd milk to every cup of water. even for fresh. but thats me. good luck5
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup I think RH does 1 cup of milk powder and 1 cup of water for every 5 lbs.  SO 2.5 cups of milk pwdr and 2.5 cups water since I will have 15 lbs total of meat.  I am adding high temp cheese too, and some garlic powder and mustard seeds..

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds awesome Lps!! And I'm sure they'll be tasty.  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did the German Sausage today and it turned out great.  I added garlic, milk powder, and high temp cheddar cheese.  Boar mentioned to partially freeze them so they don't smash when vac packing them.  The one we did first did smash a bit so we froze the rest.  We just got done packing them.  What I wanted to say is how happy I am that I bought that meat mixer on sale at NH.  It is one great tool.  I was so tired of frozen hands and not getting the sausage mixed as good as it should have been maybe.  It turns easy too.  I wondered about that.  I had 15 lbs of meat in the 20 mixer and it worked better than I thought it would.  I will post pics when they arrive at my email. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The sausage.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup that is awsome sausage. please save so.e for camppalooza but thats ur call.  tools of the trade brother!!! makes it so much more enjoyable!!
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Darn right will bring some along. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Great job on the sausage.  This time of the year I make mostly fresh sausage so they can get simmered in beer and onions and then on the grill.  I partially freeze my fresh links as well before vac packing them.  I bet that mixer helped a lot.  That powderd milk will retain the moisture,  less shrinkage and better texture.  good luck.