Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 10226 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone else that's feeding bluebirds or have nesting bluebirds still have them around?? Mine seem to have flown da coop??? Babies are no longer in the house either.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Haven't seen any around here for years. But, I never look for them in the house, either... ;) :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw a pair feeding their young today....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
How come I never see any??!  :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How come I never see any??!  :scratch:
you need to quit spying in the neighbor ladies windows.  :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: oh you make it Sooooo easy!!; :moon:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seriously though if you don't have bluebird houses and feeders it would be tough. It took several years before we had any.

Same with wrens, and there done darn noisy birds for there size but there bug eating machines!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Those stupid wrens tear up my hanging flowers trying to make a nest in 'em!!  :mad1:

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Dam Coons ripped up 3 of my houses on my bluebird trail. ... I think I've got 16 houses up!  I need to trap some of those buggers.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Here is a pic of a coon raided nest.. note deer stuck in fence!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so reading the paper this morning, there is a guy  that owns the bird feed store, or something close to that name has a blurb in there daily said bluebirds should start arriving around march 16th. i think the guy go into rebs stash but think he is nuts.

anyway tinkin of heading to fleet farm this week to pick up some meal worms to put out for the robins here in a week or so. they also had there 10-10-10 in the flyer ...........2 fer 15 bucks so gonna stock up on dat to!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bird food is on sale at Flat Farm right now...all different kinds. I've really never seen a bluebird here, dang it!   :pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Bird food is on sale at Flat Farm right now...all different kinds. I've really never seen a bluebird here, dang it!   :pouty:
don't think i seen the mealworms in the flyer.

we didn't have bluebirds till we put up a couple houses, even then it took a few years for them to find them. putting out the mealworms also helped.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they eat seeds and stuff?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
don't think i seen the mealworms in the flyer.

we didn't have bluebirds till we put up a couple houses, even then it took a few years for them to find them. putting out the mealworms also helped.
SamE here none till nEst boxes were put out,Now we have em every year one box down by cattails blue birds wont take,Tree swallows take that one.Guess their pickie on location? They sure knock down insects.

Watchin a flock a Grackles that arrived this morn
« Last Edit: March 03/04/18, 09:46:46 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Do they eat seeds and stuff?
i don't see them on our feeders, just the mealworms so i don't think they eat much for seeds. i believe there main diet is insects, its why i think they usually show up later. i only feed sunflower seeds, sunflower seeds mixed with safflower for grosbeaks and cardinals and thistle seeds. the other millet crap just attracts sparrows!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Rebel SS,
Just put out some blue bird houses and you will see them. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Might haveta try that....I'll look 'em up so I can make a few.  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Might haveta try that....I'll look 'em up so I can make a few.  :happy1:
yea i can see that already.........

ole reb in da garage....... :angry2: :angry2: :doofus: :bonk: :bonk: training-087 :banghead: :taz: :taz: damn nabit.......i cut dat twice and its still to short!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey skwirrel brain....who ya think built the wrap around deck on my house? And two of the tables in this house? And the bookcases? I've built more than a few feeders...think I can handle a birdhouse!
Just wish I never woulda sold my table saws! Ya maybe wanna run me one down?  I could build a smurf coffin..... :evil: :moon: :moon:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey skwirrel brain....who ya think built the wrap around deck on my house? And two of the tables in this house? And the bookcases? I've built more than a few feeders...think I can handle a birdhouse!
Just wish I never woulda sold my table saws! Ya maybe wanna run me one down?  I could build a smurf coffin..... :evil: :moon: :moon:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya know.....If I placed a bottle of KATCHUP in there, bet I know what I'd catch!!  :evil: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sone Viet cong midget working for wally world!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sone Viet cong midget working for wally world!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

now dats funny!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:doah:  :rotflmao:   Dung lai!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I just read that sparrows like to take over bluebird houses, will even kill them. Hole is supposed to be 1 1/2" to discourage that...how the hey will that do anything??! That's plenty big for a sparrow to wiggle into, isn't it?!  I've got my 1 1/2" Speedbore bit...might haveta slap one togedder in the next couple...
« Last Edit: March 03/04/18, 07:48:01 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Keep in mind when you put it up that the hole needs to get facing an open area. They like open spaces to go into the birdhouse.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Can I hang it about 7' up from my apple tree limb?  Or does it need to be on a pole?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure about the 7 ft. I have 2 hanging on wash line poles.

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just read that sparrows like to take over bluebird houses, will even kill them. Hole is supposed to be 1 1/2" to discourage that...how the hey will that do anything??! That's plenty big for a sparrow to wiggle into, isn't it?!  I've got my 1 1/2" Speedbore bit...might haveta slap one togedder in the next couple...

Keeping the sparrows out of them can be a challenge in town or out here in the country where there's livestock. Also cats and raccoons. Predator guards like the Noel predator guard can help with the latter; not so much on sparrows. I've tried the fishing weight & fishing line trick on the Peterson style houses. It seems to help somewhat. Nothing makes my blood boil more than finding a tree swallow or bluebird pecked to death in the bottom of a nesting box with a sparrow building a nest over the top of it. Reputedly sparrows are not fond of the Gilbertson style house made with PVC. That type of house is mounted on a chunk of conduit that's slipped over a rod or piece of rebar anchored in the ground. Pretty much predator proof as I understand. If these sparrows don't knock it off I'm going to try them. My present houses are of varying design, wooden & mounted on pasture fence posts. As the little blue feller says, they like to have a clear area for access although most of the successful houses here are on the edge of a wooded area. I've had them nesting at the neighbor's pasture for years now. Wrens also seem to pick some of the houses there. The bluebirds like certain boxes and will generally nest at least 100 yards from another bluebird.   
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)