Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 10230 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Thanks guys. I'll see what I come up with.....could be interesting.  :bonk:  Have some more diagrams to peruse...

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Along with the wooden ones, I have three of the pvc style ones on a pvc pipe.  I have them about 5 foot off the ground. I can lift the top off to check on the nest and clean it out.  Tree swallows and wrens have nested in them but never saw a sparrow.  I would take a picture but I can hardly see where they are due to falling snow.  We put a couple at our land but the #$%^^&$# bears bend them down to check for eggs. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Blue birds are nesting.  Here are some of my backyard boxes

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Kewl! Where did you get the PVC houses from or did you build them deadeye? Some of my older wooden houses are getting about depreciated out.  :sad:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I bought them from a guy at the Anoka Game Fair about 8 years ago.  At one time I found him on line but couldn't find it today.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I just seen something the other day for PVC wood duck houses I think too....  got to remember where!!!!

just found them!!!  google PVC bird house and wood duck houses....  saw them on Minn. bound or some show like it on PBS....
« Last Edit: May 05/01/18, 01:17:34 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
It is also said to be helpful to check the box and evict any nest that isn't from a bluebird.    Used to be a whole bunch of bluebird houses along mayowood trail.    I'm not sure if they became a casualty of all that construction out there or not.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I get bluebirds along the driveway in houses.  We love the tree swallows that nest in 2 houses right by the house.  They are very friendly.  Well the other day we saw our first two tree swallows.  I decided to check to see if I had cleaned out the houses.  I opened the door and out flew a swallow.  Darn.  Well that was a few days ago and I have only seen one since.  I think I traumatized her.  We put martin houses up too and had some 2 years ago but none last year.  We play a martin CD on the deck to try and attract them. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
It is also said to be helpful to check the box and evict any nest that isn't from a bluebird.    Used to be a whole bunch of bluebird houses along mayowood trail.    I'm not sure if they became a casualty of all that construction out there or not.
in my birding experience, the only bird house you DONT clean out every year is the Martin houses.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Been watchin for bluebirds aint seen any yet houses are ready,The tree swallows are here as of today,Pelicans mallards, teal, Mergansers, western Grebes showed today BUT NOT A SINGLE Wood duck,Got boxes ready made 2 more and no ducks?Kinda weird to me
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they are all here today too!!!  good to see!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Only bluebirds I've seen here are jays!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Anybody still have bluebirds around? I haven't seen the pair we had in a couple weeks. Same with those tree/ barn swallows that like to inhabit bluebird houses.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
They were still at our other pasture yet over the weekend. Tree swallows packed up a couple weeks ago here. So did the orioles, both the Baltimore and orchard types.  Still some barn swallows in the granary. Didn't get bluebirds at the ranch itself but hatched out bunches of tree swallows & wrens of course. A couple pics of the nesting box that produced six bluebirds at the pasture. Was able to keep close tabs on them. Seemed like the fence kept grounding out almost daily.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07/29/18, 10:25:02 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
in today's st cloud times, Jerry Carlson had an article about the bluebirds......or lack thereof................ he writes some interesting articles.

his article pretty much said the polar vortex or the bad storms down south this spring pretty much raise cane with the bluebird population. his sister lives in Missouri he said and is bluebird possessed.........when the weather cleared they found an awefull lot of dead bluebirds in there nesting boxes. both they say from the weather and lack of food. i guess they only eat seeds when its a dire need, so they had no bugs to feed on!!!!!!!!!

his article also said the robins took a hit too!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have been concerned about the bluebirds here too. Have seen none at the ranch for several years after fighting an ongoing battle with the house sparrow population. Tree swallows have fared somewhat better. The kindly neighbors whose sheep pasture we rent usually has bluebirds but they constantly fight not only house sparrows but wrens as well. Was scouting the field there a couple days ago and was checking one house not occupied by a wren. It was breezy and the Gator (diesel) was running so I couldn't hear much. All the sudden I felt a sudden rush of air by my head then felt it again. The female bluebird was dive bombing me! I decided they were the likely occupants so left them alone. Also noticed the roof on the house was in bad shape. Had a piece of plastic decking already cut so while spraying the fence yesterday, screwed it down over the top of the original roof board. Didn't want to disturb them any more than I already had.     

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The kindly neighbors whose sheep pasture we rent usually has bluebirds but they constantly fight not only house sparrows but wrens as well. Was scouting the field there a couple days ago and was checking one house not occupied by a wren.
YES!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You old wren hater you!  :rotflmao: