Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Time for a new dog  (Read 3890 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Last winter we lost our beloved hound, Pixie the Wonderbeagle.  She was absolutely worthless as a hunting dog, but as a family member, she was one of the best you could ask for.  Old age and a bad heart finally caught up with and she died on a cold December night as the snow moved in and the wind howled.  We knew it was coming, but we were still devastated.

I've been sick for a while now.  Heart failure and prostate cancer.  I just finished my radiation treatments this morning, and we're gonna get a dog.  It will be another beagle-nothing fancy, and it will be a rescue dog.  If she hunts, great but if not, that's okay too.  Every family ought to have a dog as good as Pixie was.  Whatever dog we get, she will have some very big shoes to fill.

We are waiting to hear back from an adoption service we contacted.  Wish us luck guys.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Wishing you the best in all things, GG. Lost my best buddy 12 yrs ago and still can't think of another dog taking his place.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
every dog is different and I like that in them!!  good luck with both the dog and your health!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
prayer for ur health double G. have fun picking out a new buddy.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup another good luck here for you GG. And how fun is that to get a new dog.  A new personality in the house is what makes them so fun.  We noticed the other day how our new to us black lab that we have had for a couple of years respects our cat.  The dog is about 6 or 7 and the cat jumped up on the bed and Buddy the dog picked his head up and as the cat walked towards him he jumped off the bed.  LOLOL  It was hilarious.  I love watching pets figure things out.  Good for you GG, enjoy. 

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the kind replies guys.  I posted this over on 24 Hour Campfire and got lambasted for going the adoption route.  Some real asshats over there.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Tell 'em to kiss off. Most of my pooches were all pound puppies, except my hunting dogs. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is just so wrong!!!!!!  sorry to hear that happened to ya....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the kind replies guys.  I posted this over on 24 Hour Campfire and got lambasted for going the adoption route.  Some real asshats over there.

Good think you didn't tell them you were going to get one from the pet shop in the mall.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i love having hounddogs around...................and they dont talk back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: not sure what we will do when we have to say goodbye to the ones we got. all i know is its gonna really suck when it does happen. there the 2 most spoiled dogs there are!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
My wife and I, have been watching TCL....they have dogs on there from time to time for adoption....my daughter had got a dog adopted off of there, and we tried to get one ourselfs when it come up. Getting a dog like that is nothing to be chastised for....they need a home, as long as they are the right fit for you and them.......the one we wanted got a different family, but we still are on the preferred waiting list.....

It's a great program.....no matter how you go about getting on the list, I myself have nothing good to say about the process, even though we have not got our "perfect fit" yet....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Idda told them to Pizz off!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I've had a few pound pets, both dogs and Bob the cat.  All turned out great.