Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pickled eggs  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Crappy day outside so might as well boil up some eggs. Nothing fancy with these, vinegar,  sea salt ,onion and pickling spices, not to mention 3 different hot peppers, Serrano,  Tabasco ( little orange ones) and cayenne.  Seams eggs take a bit to absorb the flavors so I ran a toothpick through em to drive the flavors deeper.  We'll see!! :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Hmmm....good idea! I'm fartdoodling in da kitchen too, while it pours outside. Making a pigger steak, with carne asada seasoning, and lime juice. Got some candied sweet taters in the casserole dish....and munching on a hard-boiled egg until it's all done.   :azn:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Awesome!  :happy1: I just boiled some eggs after the pickles....
How many per jar? How much vinegar? Salt?
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
19 eggs I believe between the two, it was around 3 cups vinegar to 1 1/2 cups water which I had extra fluid. Ended up doing 2 tsp smoked sea salt for the two quarts.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm....good idea! I'm fartdoodling in da kitchen too, while it pours outside. Making a pigger steak, with carne asada seasoning, and lime juice. Got some candied sweet taters in the casserole dish....and munching on a hard-boiled egg until it's all done.   :azn:

fartdoodling   I don't care who you are I do NOT want in your kitchen!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:

the eggs look great fella's!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That was today's bling word. Kinda like a more intense puttering, but with a more creative passion. Not to be confused with fartblossom, which my Grandma and cousin used to call me; denotes a small, cute person.  :azn:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
That was today's bling word. Kinda like a more intense puttering, but with a more creative passion. Not to be confused with fartblossom, which my Grandma and cousin used to call me; denotes a small, cute person.  :azn:

oh heck no that means you smell!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I love pickled eggs and all of those terms could apply to one who has consumed many of them. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I never had one... :undecided:  Looked at too many floating in those big gallon jars in the little Wisconsin roadside taverns...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I never had one... :undecided:  Looked at too many floating in those big gallon jars in the little Wisconsin roadside taverns...
I'm with you Reb, I tried one once, that was enough for me. Not even katchup would make them edible in my mind!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Bobber, please let us know how the toothpick thing works out. If it speeds up the process great. I can't seem to wait long enough for the eggs to finish getting pickled.
mm

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I usually can't wait either, if they say wait ten days the jar is empty in 7. I believe the toothpick helps but we know how eggs are, it takes a lot to get flavors in. Next maybe is injecting???? Ya never know..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
How about vacuum infusing? Put 'em in that jar and turn the air hose fitting into a jar top fitting, turn up pressure to 150 psi or so......*FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT*   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Crappy day outside so might as well boil up some eggs. Nothing fancy with these, vinegar,  sea salt ,onion and pickling spices, not to mention 3 different hot peppers, Serrano,  Tabasco ( little orange ones) and cayenne.  Seams eggs take a bit to absorb the flavors so I ran a toothpick through em to drive the flavors deeper.  We'll see!! :happy1:

Those look very tasty!!! Not sure if this was a one time deal or if you are into trying different ways of pickling eggs but if you want another recipe for your book, I have come up with one that I love!!

1 gallon empty pickle jar
24 boiled eggs
1 12oz can V8 juice
1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce
1/3 cup salt (More or less depending on your taste)
6 Jalapenos (Sliced)
6 Sweet hot Banana peppers(sliced)
6 Red Serrano peppers (Sliced)
1 large sliced onion.
1/4 cup sugar (I've made them with and with out sugar and I'm not sure there is a difference)
2 quarts Vinegar
1/8 cup dill seed or (if you have access and want to make it better) 2 heads of dill.

Put vinegar, salt, sugar, V8, and hot sauce in a pot and bring to a boil stirring often. As soon as mix boils, shut it down right away. After the brine has cooled to a warm but still hot to the touch(About 120 deg) add all the peppers, onion and Dill to the brine.
Let it set for about 15 minutes more. Then I like to add a layer of eggs to the bottom of the jar an poor in some brine, making sure to get some of the dill, peppers and onion mixed in. Keep doing that until the eggs are used up and the jar is full. Depending on egg size, I have been able to fit 30+ eggs in the jar if they are smaller eggs but as a rule, the less eggs you have in the brine the better the flavor. You probably won't use all the brine but make sure all the solids are added to the gallon pickling jar.
Cover and let eggs sit in the brine for 2 weeks in the fridge.. Then, Enjoy!!!!! 

« Last Edit: September 09/18/17, 07:23:23 PM by pickelfarmer »
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow who's dis guy!; :rotflmao: nice to heat from ya;

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wow who's dis guy!; :rotflmao: nice to heat from ya;

:surrender: Finally get a night to take a breather and get online!!! Had a busy summer fishing Little Sugar Bush!!!  :sleazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea I bet you did!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That's an awsome recipe pf,  thanks for sharing.  :happy1: Ya I usually experiment with different stuff, sometimes sugar, sometimes pearl onions etc etc.  I do like v8 so I'll give that a shot fore sure!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the recipe PF. It's gonna take some serious will power not opening these with in 2 weeks..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is good looking!!!  I would try one but still like the smoked ones too!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh yeah mike, smoked eggs is a food group by it's self. Looks like we need to start a new thread!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the best part is they take on a whole flavor when you made other things with them!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And the room takes on a whole new aroma after smoked eggs, braunschweiger, and pickled herring!  :shocked: At least that's what Glenn said.
« Last Edit: September 09/13/17, 08:50:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I said no such thing! :mooning: :bonk: :rotflmao:

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Thanks for the recipe PF. It's gonna take some serious will power not opening these with in 2 weeks..

Oh, you're in for a treat there!!! And to be perfectly honest... There have been times I have not been able to wait 2 weeks!!  :hubba:

You might want to try one jar after a week or so to make sure they are not getting too hot for ya.. Depending on the peppers, I have had batches that were really hot and batches that fall a little short of my heat range. That is why I started adding the Hot sauce. I know I will get at least some heat in them with that.
Last batch I made I cut back on the dill to a 1/8 cup and I liked them the best. Hope you like them!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Looks great! but speaking personally, because of the way my body reacts to hard-boiled eggs (I can only imagine pickling would accelerate the reaction), I might be better off placing the eggs directly into the toilet.

I love 'em - they don't love me.  Those look especially volatile!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dude..... I'm so gonna make these!  :happy1:
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they look great, but a small batch!!