Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New Smomer build!!  (Read 5277 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
wanna gomelectric with this. any advise and all.advise is welcome that pertains to the subject at hand lol.
helping a freind convert. gonna patch the bottom then convert to electric. element kits??

[attachment deleted by admin]
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
inside

78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup

78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That will be one heck of  smoker when done. What kind of electric elements? keep the pics coming.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that might be be enough for a fan to circulate the air while smoking....
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Maybe some 220 Volt elements out of a crematorium and a 550 CFM industrial fan.... ;)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
There is a place that someone posted here awhile back that had controls and elements for smomers.  I took the thermostat and controls out of a oven when I made my electric one. But had to use a 110 hot plate for the heat.  It lasted about a year then had to get another one.  Went through about 4 of them.  Had them wired for a fast change since they always go out when in the middle of a smome.  You can't just use a hot plate with it's own control cuz it will get hot so won't turn on until the smomer gets real cool inside.  Have to bypass that control.  Check the youtube videos on Smokin-It Smokers.  They fairly straight forward and will give you some good info.  They sell replacement parts which may work for his smomer.  The next smomer I get will be one of those.
« Last Edit: September 09/01/17, 08:26:19 AM by LPS »

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I use a control from Auber Instruments - I probably overbought for how I use it but it's worth its weight in gold.  I don't have to worry at all about temp control. I bought a higher-end model, but could've gotten away with one for less $$$ they have several models.  I would recommend getting one that has a dual probe - one for smokehouse temp and one for meat.  It will keep your smoker within a degree or two of your temp and let you know when your meat is done. For longer smokes, I've gotten going and either left it overnight or left for the day to run errands and I never have to worry about it.  Check this one out - should have all you need:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=380

Worth noting that this works off of 110 so if it's a bigger smoker, you might want to look into a 220 solution.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's a nice looking unit TL...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ok thanks tl, but i also need an element to be controled. what wojld you sugest
78.50"

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't get past the "smomer build" what the hell is that?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I can't get past the "smomer build" what the hell is that?

Fumble fingers Boaranese for "smoker build".   :rotflmao:

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
ok thanks tl, but i also need an element to be controled. what wojld you sugest

Ask and you shall receive, Boar!
https://www.amazon.com/Brinkmann-116-7000-0-Replacement-Part-Electric/dp/B004W4U0K0/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004W4U0K0&pd_rd_r=90K9YTNT6P4QZFXZFKY3&pd_rd_w=6ErGf&pd_rd_wg=cnMmn&psc=1&refRID=90K9YTNT6P4QZFXZFKY3

again, this works in my old fridge smoker that is Apocalypse Sow.  This plugs into the control unit and you plug your control unit into the outlet. The control regulates the power to the element according to the smokehouse temp.

« Last Edit: September 09/01/17, 01:22:31 PM by ThunderLund78 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
perfect thanks tl, with the size of the smomer u thik id ned 2 elememts?
78.50"

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think you'd be better off - but it begs the question if one control unit will support two elements from a dual plug-in attachment - I bet it would - the control unit is built to power an element and a smoke generator - you wont be able to use the smoke generator outlet on the back because it's a special plug, but I bet the unit could handle the load of two elements.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Perhaps you should just build it for him and send him the bill, TL!!!!  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Perhaps you should just build it for him and send him the bill, TL!!!!  ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Nah... Hockey clinics start this weekend - no time ;)

Maybe just a few sausages out of the first batch for the occasional (and questionably reliable) advice!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Should work out just fine.  A buddy of mine has one made from an old fridge and he put in a little fan for circulation but has a propane burner.  I think he got it from Northern Tool and Equipment for around $150.  It has three adjustable heat ranges.  Works well for all types of smoking temps,  but that electric should do the job.  good luck.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ok thunder love the info, just to make clear, the element you listed and the control device yu listed are compatable and the element just plugs into the control unit
78.50"

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yup. it's a standard plug into the back of the control unit. Again, I can't guarantee it will drive two elements - you'd have to buy a multiple outlet adapter (Just a standard 110 household adapter at the hardware store) to plug into the back of the control unit and plug your elements into that - but I imagine it would handle it fine.  Again, those control units are meant to be an aftermarket replacement for controls on many units that you'd buy in the store, some of which which have a main element and a smoke generator.  Since you wont be using the smoke generator output - which is a special plug - I would think the unit could regulate two elements through a multi-outlet adapter.  It might be worth a call or e-mail into Auber to verify - DO NOT substitute my advice for professional advice.  I'm a professional at nothing. ;)

Before you spend your $$$, you should contact them.  Let us know what they say, now I'm curious.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think one element would be just fine unless below 0 outside.  That frig is well insulated.  To much heat isn't good neither.  This is a smoker not a grill.  I ran my frig smoker on one little element like a single hot plate with a small cast iron pan on it for the wood chips or chunks.  Used it all year long.  Tried a propane burner but got way too hot and didn't work in summer because of that.  It got so hot so fast that it didn't turn back on for an hour.  Not a good deal. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I used an aluminum pie plate with a handful of wood chips on top of a little hot plate in my 'fridge smoker for years to smoke fish...