Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Old Fashion Franks  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Got them done yesterday and vac packed them today.  Used Curley's Old Fashion Wiener seasoning in a 25 pound patch.  This time I used just pork butts because I have a lot of them to use.  Normally I add some beef to each batch.  The step by step is on my site below in case someone want's to make some.  Not enough time to use the smoker so the oven did the trick.  225 deg. until the internal was 160 and then the cold bath.  This is one of the family's favorites and a proven winner every time.  Next up summer sausage and then polish and ring bologna.  Deer camp is fast approaching.  good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks great RH. 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I want some!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Those look terrific, RH.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
look yum yum there RH!!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Reinhard.....you say you put them in the oven and not the smoker.....don't hotdogs have to be smoked?
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice work RH!
These are on my VERY long list - I think I may have to bump them up on the priority list. Sept. is busy but Oct. is going to be an every weekend type of thing for me to get the freezer full. Bacon, Hocks, Kielbasa, and maybe some of these bad boys!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks everyone!!  I enjoy making sausage.  Ken,  no hot dogs do not have to be smoked but that's what I would have liked.  You can do them in the oven or even poach them.  As long as you get them to a safe internal temp.  You can even keep the links fresh and cook them on the grill later.  I got a buddy who poaches the links all the time and finishes them off on the grill for serving.  He doesn't like the smoke flavor, but I do.  But it's all about personal preference.  Most of the time they are smoked.  If I had the time that day I would of smoked them but there were other times when things came up and that oven came in handy and it worked out fine every time.  good luck.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
I have always smoked hot dogs. My family loves Ambassador hotdogs. Do you know if they are smoked? I will have to try them not smoked the next time to see what the difference is.

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken I used to work for Ambassador Sausage many years ago in the early 70's, my first job in the meat industry.  This is when they were locally owned here in Mpls.  They used natural casings and automatic linkers.  I think they cooked them at the time in 170 degree water until they got to 160.  That's what I do with swedish sausage.  Don't know what they do now since they are located out of state.  I remember when working for Cub I operated a comercial smoker were I had racks on wheels filled with polish or other links and did use real wood chips that were loaded automaticly.  It was all digital and also had a final cold rinse cycle.  Wish I had that one LOL but I think at the time it costs around $80 grand.  If you noticed on my franks I used hog casings not sheep casings.  I like a larger link.  good luck.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the reply. I knew you worked at Ambassador. Do you remember if the smoked their hot dogs then?

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I will say that if you like the taste of ambassador, the Kielbasa recipe on RH's page comes pretty close to that old ambasador flavor but much more meaty and no fillers. REALLY good!!! and I definitely smoked those rings when I made them.  Can't wait to make more!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya Thunder I"m going to make more of them myself.  Ken,  I can't remember if they smoked anything back then.  Maybe used liquid smoke in the process even the summer sausage.   I don't think a lot of the commercial makers of sausage actually smoke anything anymore.  It's a long process so that take's away production time.  Could be wrong but I think that's the way it is.  Some small specialty places  probably do it.  That is why we do it when we have the time.  good luck.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the reply. I will try them both ways. I also use pork casings for hotdogs.

Thunderlund.....I will try Reinhards Kiebasa recipe next time also. I am heading to Canada next week to hunt geese.......will have lots of meat to make sausages,jerky,sticks, and hotdogs with a 50-50 mix.