Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: More Canadian Bacon  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer camp is coming up and I can't wait.  Got the franks made, and just finished 6  5 pound pieces of Canadian bacon.  Polish is next and some jerky.  good luck.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking fabulous Rh!! Get them done and kick your feet up...you deserve it!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I need you as a neighbor!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Sorry, I already got dibs on next available property... :moon: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

to had for you clowns, I'm waiting for the adoption papers to finalize. :bow: :moon: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

to had for you clowns, I'm waiting for the adoption papers to finalize. :bow: :moon: :rotflmao:

I guess I do not under stand smurf talk here.......... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
He think he Boar. Speak Boaranese. Later like Fireball. Heap big medicine.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer camp with RH must really be something.  Wake up have big breakfast with his sausages, take nap.  Have lunch with his sausages, take nap.  Have big supper with his special meats, go to bed early.  Do this every day  for a week then go home and eat boring stuff for 51 weeks waiting for deer camp next year.  Hey we forgot to go hunting again this year...  Oh well was a great deer camp.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey LPS don't forget the Canadian bacon too!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Deer camp with RH must really be something.  Wake up have big breakfast with his sausages, take nap.  Have lunch with his sausages, take nap.  Have big supper with his special meats, go to bed early.  Do this every day  for a week then go home and eat boring stuff for 51 weeks waiting for deer camp next year.  Hey we forgot to go hunting again this year...  Oh well was a great deer camp.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I can see it now at RH's Deer Camp....."C'mon guys, I've got an afternoon snack ready"..... :rotflmao:

« Last Edit: October 10/11/17, 07:50:42 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you sure that's not your lunch for today?????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Might be! I haveta make a BACON RUN this am.......someplace FINALLY has my favorite bacon on sale for $3.99 pkg. Unfortunately, it's SlyVee, home of the rip-off. Gonna load up with it and get outta there....

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks guy's.  Yes we heat well at deer camp.  No diet plan there and plenty of quality adult beverages.  My nephew is getting into it also there.  He brings up his big grill which makes a good impact.  He loves to cook and I'm going to help him with making sausage.  Probably next year I won't have to bring up as much as he will be making sausage also.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I gotta a question. Might be a dumd one. After all the prep I usually cold smoke then heat with more smoke on the smoker (gas) and they turn out marvelous.  Next time I'm leaning on adding heat in the charcoal offset, how much difference in taste is the charcoal going to do? The wife is handing it out as gifts for several clients but I'm not sure to stick with were used to or try the offset!! Any thoughts guys??
« Last Edit: October 10/12/17, 04:56:23 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. But, I'd like to sign up as a client.  :azn:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. But, I'd like to sign up as a client.  :azn:
pretty sure shedoesnt have grumpy old men! :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lookit me smile!   :mooning:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I gotta a question. Might be a dumd one. After all the prep I usually cold smoke then heat with more smoke on the smoker (gas) and they turn out marvelous.  Next time I'm leaning on adding heat in the charcoal offset, how much difference in taste is the charcoal going to do? The wife is handing it out as gifts for several clients but I'm not sure to stick with were used to or try the offset!! Any thoughts guys??

DO NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT IF IT IS MARVELOUS NOW!!!!!   You will regret it if you do.  I have done that and the next batch wasn't as good and then what????  Ok if it is for you but do you want to give it away if it is not as good as you usually do????   Well there is a couple of guys I would give it to...   :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd  screw it up. Next year they won't ask for more!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

DO NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT IF IT IS MARVELOUS NOW!!!!!   You will regret it if you do.  I have done that and the next batch wasn't as good and then what????  Ok if it is for you but do you want to give it away if it is not as good as you usually do????   Well there is a couple of guys I would give it to...   :rotflmao:

thats the way I'd go, try the other way for yourself first,  just my thoughts.......

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't tried it on indirect heat with charcoal.  I'm stuck with the way i do it because it turns out great that way.  However I use charcoal like everyone on many things including pork items and I never had a problem.  All you are doing is using charcoal for your heat source.  So I'm guessing you are cold smoking it first and then finishing the loins off on indirect using charcoal instead of propane.  So I see no problem that way.  I just like to use the electric smoker because I like having the smoke on and the temp at 225 at the same time using that tube smoker instead of the chip tray.  Always get great color and flavor that way.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the input guys!! The brinkman offset runs right around 100 degrees difference from the coal side to the bigger side and holds it well for quite a while.  She wants 2 bellies done and 10 # of cb done, so this is what I'm thinking.  Probably up the cb to 15#, 10 in the smoker with 2/3 of the belly and the rest in the offset with charcoal. I think it'll be a good mix, but wishing I had more open weekends to experiment before the deadline..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok can't stand it.  Today I am getting me a pork loin and doing a Pops Brine with it for Canadian Bacon. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok can't stand it.  Today I am getting me a pork loin and doing a Pops Brine with it for Canadian Bacon.

:happy1:   Must have pics!   :smiley:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother smomed a big Boston Butt at home before we left so we have a huge bag for pulled pork sammies while were up here. :happy1: Yummm!
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ok got the loin.  An 8 lber.  Thinking I will put it on a Pops Brine today and smoke it in 2 weeks.  I did my last batch of bacon for 2 weeks and it was awesome.  I did the couple of hours of soak in water then let it sit overnight.  Then smomed.  So actually it was a nice easy project since the timing is doing it on weekends. 
« Last Edit: October 10/15/17, 11:16:09 AM by LPS »

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
9 or 10 days would be OK to smoke that loin.  Cut it in half and brine it and you will be fine.  good luck.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Well here goes !! Some the smoker style and some on the offset.  It's gonna be interesting to see if the charcoal makes it taste different...2hrs of cold smoke then heat wit more.

« Last Edit: November 11/04/17, 01:20:10 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman