Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: A family in need.  (Read 33156 times)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like a Yooper's parady......

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya got that stuff wrapped yet, or ya just blowin' smoke?!  :azn:

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, I got the mother of all boxes today from our one and only Boar.  He must be a true duct tape aficionado, as he used about 7 miles of it to close this box up.  Then I went and tried to move the box.  I think I now have multiple hernias, several slipped discs, and I must have sprained something-heck I think I even got an ingrown toenail lifting that box!  There's a lot here, and I'll have to inventory it and put it on the list for all to see.  Thanks to Boar, and everyone else who's contributed here.  We're gonna make the North Star burn a little brighter for this family guys. Thank you one and all.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
now dats funny too!!!   

way to go Boar!!!!!

Way to go Jeff!!!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
naw thaks to our brother double G! hes the real deal here,  stepin up, taking the front and humbling asking for help for those that need a little extra sunshine in their live this xma. Jef Grub! i salutle you! your welcome in the boars nest anytime brother!!0
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't really know exactly what to say.  I do this every year, just because I've been there my self in the past.  Christmas is such a "kids" holiday-I can't stand the thought of a family in crisis and not being able to provide Christmas for their family.  That's why I do this. 

Some housekeeping stuff here:

I haven't had a chance to inventory Boar's huge box of stuff yet.  I might not get to it until this weekend. I'm off Sat. and Sun.  I have the doctor working today, and a Regional meeting all day tomorrow.

As for the Christmas meal, I'm thinking I might just buy it on the way north when I go up to deliver the presents.  I'll be going by several Wal-Mart's along the way, so should be no issue.

Still looking for someone interested in tagging along.  Just putting this out there-I know we've all got other holiday obligations this time of year, and I understand.  My son might come along unless someone else wants to.  I think it will be good for him to see how others struggle.  Maybe I can plant the seed in him to carry on this tradition.

As soon as Christmas is over, I will start looking for a gun for next year's season of giving.  I always try to find either a .22 or an inexpensive shotgun.  Guns on the list that fit that bill include Marlin Model 60's, lower end, but sturdy pump shotguns, like a Stevens, Winchester 120, or Mossberg 500.  Other possibilities include deer rifles in common calibers like a sporterized Mauser, or a Savage.  I can't put tons of money into this part of this project, so they have to be inexpensive, but very useable.  If anybody hears of anything like this, or sees anything along these lines at a flea market or garage sale, I'm interested.  I'd prefer to stay as close to $100.00 as I can get, which isn't much, but it seems like every year I somehow manage to get this done in this price range. 

We'll see about doing this again next year.  I hate to beg from you guys every year, but as the old saying goes, it takes a village. 

Thanks again for everyone's support and donations.  I'm sure I'll be saying this many times between now and then, but Merry Christmas.

Most Sincerely,

Jeff

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And DON'T FORGET THE PICS with them, which we all wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
And DON'T FORGET THE PICS with them, which we all wanna see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1:

that would be good!!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Understood.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Guys, I'd like to talk to everyone about taking pictures of the family.  These guys are going through some very tough times.  I'm sure there will be some smiles on their faces, but I'm also sure those smiles will be hiding some hurt and tears. I'm really apprehensive about stripping away their dignity by asking them to let me take some pictures.  I'm just not real comfortable with that.  I understand your feelings-our members here have stepped up to the plate and contributed a lot of nice stuff for these folks.  I can see why you want pictures, but I'd ask that we not do this, out of respect for the family.  I am at your mercy, as you guys have contributed so much. I'd like to just let them enjoy their Christmas as a family and not be looking for any more out of this.  For one thing, I really don't plan on staying while they open their gifts.  This is "family time" and should be as private as they want it. 

I'd like to hear the group's opinion on this.  I will abide by your wishes as a group.  I'd rather see one of our members go with me, so there's no question of my intentions.  Please give this some thought and state your opinions here.  If you feel like you need some pictures, and that's the group consensus, I will respectfully ask them if we can get some. 

I hope this isn't a deal breaker for anyone.  I just felt the need to state my thoughts on this, guys. 

Thanks again for all the generous contributions.

Best Regards,

Jeff

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
hey it'a about them not us!!!!  NO PIC'S!!!!
« Last Edit: December 12/07/17, 08:30:37 PM by mike89 »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, know, I thought about that after I posted the pic idea, Jeff....and it's personal, but I'll tell ya why I thought about it. I think ya know I have assisted at the Salvation Army Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner things for many years. Well, the last three or four, I ate there too. The local TV stations always do a tidbit on the dinner, filming there. I didn't really appreciate being seen by everyone, and I always knew that some of the folks there were embarrassed by it too.....
So, I've changed my mind. Let's skip the pics. I have no issues with your intentions or what you are doing. I agree with your post completely, and it's well put. That's just my opinion on the matter, for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: December 12/07/17, 09:02:26 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Rebel.  Your opinion is very important to me. 

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I don't need any pics, that's their time.

I got plans on that day that are not firm, so I may be able to ride along. I'll know more after this weekend.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here, I don't need to see any pics
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, bad choice. I just like seein' pics of gathering's where everyone is happy and havin' a good time....and that's what I was thinking. Didn't think it out past that point. My bad.  :doah:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
her ya go reb! much ballpiness

[attachment deleted by admin]
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O wpw! Nwo im 'ovrejued, adn al warrm  adn fuzxy!  Tkhnx Boarski!   :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: December 12/08/17, 12:46:43 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
her ya go reb! much ballpiness
I'm scarred for life!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This is what makes Boar happy.....

I stopped by, and bought a case of beer....saw this, and thought of Boar....

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe ya could get him one of these......his own boar Fireball coolerator dispenser.

« Last Edit: December 12/08/17, 06:44:39 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What time do you plan on going up GG?
I'll be in town until Sunday morning, then heading north...

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope all goes well and it turns out as expected, gopher.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
What time do you plan on going up GG?
I'll be in town until Sunday morning, then heading north...
We haven't set a time yet.  If you want to coordinate, I can get ahold of Shane today and see what time works for them, and let you know.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Reb.  It should be fine.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just keep boar away from the final wrapping.............. ;)

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
I think he blew his wad in the duct tape department when he wrapped up the box to ship to me.  You could have tried to open that thing with a chainsaw and not gotten in!

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Last week to get in any donations to this effort.  I'll be going up Sunday to deliver the goods.  Shane has said they'd be home all day, so my travel itinerary is a little open ended.  I'd like to head up sometime during the morning, but other than that, I can vary the time a bit in case any one wants to tag along.  I could match up with anyone anywhere along the I-35 corridor from Prior Lake, north.  If anyone has gear they need me to pick up in the metro area, let's talk tonight so I can make plans.  Time is becoming of the essence. I don't have a day off work until Sunday, so I'd have to do it in the evening after work.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I won't be able to ride along. I'll be in town till late afternoon.

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the head's up.