Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Venison Pirogues!  (Read 3490 times)

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It was a busy weekend but made some great stuff.  Capped it off with this really good recipe from Field & Stream's "The Wild Chef" cookbook.  I got it for Christmas a couple of years ago and just hadn't gotten around to trying anything from it yet.  This was a winner, I'm glad I did. Very simple, too. I made these in two batches and the recipe below reflects a few changes I made on the second round that seem to make it work a little easier, so it's not verbatim to the book. But it worked better for me:

Stuffing:
1 TB - butter
1 whole onion
1/2 lb - ground venison
Salt/pepper to taste

Dough:
2-1/2 cups Flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water

For the filling - sauté the onion in the butter until translucent, add venison and cook until browned.  Salt and pepper and set aside to cool.

For the dough - in a large bowl, add the flour, make a depression in the mound of flour and crack the eggs into the hole.  Cut the eggs into the flour with a pastry cutter until crumbly.  Add the salt and water and knead until firm - this will be sticky! Let the dough rest in a warm spot (or under a warm towel) for 10 min. Roll out the dough on a floured surface until thin.  Cut rounds with a big glass (4" - 5" diameter).  Place a small amount of filling in the middle of each round and fold-over, sealing the edges well.  Boil the pirogues in salted water for 4 minutes and remove with a slotted spoon. You can either refrigerate/freeze them or cook immediately.  When ready to cook, melt a few pads of butter in a pan over medium heat and fry the pirogues until they have a golden brown crust.  Serve with beefy gravy (just a jar of the store bought stuff worked great). ENJOY!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
TL, can you PLEASE stop this now?!?! I can't take much more..... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you sir are killing it!!!!   that is so good looking!!!!   I need to move over that way!!!  where ever it is!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
om TL, I PERSONALLY INVITE U TO ICE APALOOZA, AS THE HEAD COOK!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll second; motion carried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  All in favor, say "aye" !" :happy1:
« Last Edit: December 12/03/17, 08:14:15 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline gophergunner

• Master Outdoorsman
Where I grew up in northeast ohio, pierogis are a big church dish.  Lots of churches mad them on Fridays as a fund raiser and sold them in the church dining room and/or for carry out.  Those were stuffed with potatoes or cabbage usually.  I like this twist on an old dish.  Gonna have to give these a try.

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
om TL, I PERSONALLY INVITE U TO ICE APALOOZA, AS THE HEAD COOK!

If it means I drink for free, I'M IN!

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Those are some very tasty looking Polish pies there. Yes gophergunner, living here in Pittsburgh they are a staple during lent and nothing better than church pierogies with a fried fish sandwich. The best are the cheese potato smothered with butter and onions or sour kraut. I've made a few stuffed with BBQ pulled pork and buffalo chicken.
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
OK, you guys are pushing me over da edge..... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :doofus:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
OK, you guys are pushing me over da edge..... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :doofus:
need a little help!!!!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Thunder I love it!!!  No venison here but I'll do it with beef.  Thanks for the recipe and the post.  good luck.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Kinda like a Latvian Pirozhki!   My favorite food ever.  My college Russian professor's wife made for me with ground venison.  They also had about 1/3 chopped bacon with the ground venison and onion.  Pirozhki are baked instead of boiled (pirogues) polish.
Making me hungry!!

Offline ThunderLund78

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Kinda like a Latvian Pirozhki!   My favorite food ever.  My college Russian professor's wife made for me with ground venison.  They also had about 1/3 chopped bacon with the ground venison and onion.  Pirozhki are baked instead of boiled (pirogues) polish.
Making me hungry!!

That's interesting, Corney -
I'm 1/2 Latvian.  My mother was born there and immigrated with my Grandparents and two uncles after WW2 - there's some great stories to tell, there.  My Grandpa was a forest ranger in Latvia when the war was going on and they had to deal with both Russian and German troops moving through their farm.  They got while the gettin' was good, refugee camps, etc.  But they made it.

My Aunt makes baked breaded bites stuffed with onion and bacon but we always called them "Pee Dogs" which  sounds gross, but it was an english bastardization of Pir - rog or "Pirogue"  It's all similar.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Drinks are free if you bring Pirozhki to Iceopolusa.... :tequila;   Don't forget to add BACON!!!