Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: another bust an slam for the spear chucker's...........  (Read 4026 times)

Offline chucker

• Minnow

News Release

New northern pike fishing regulations coming in spring 2018

December 4, 2017

Anglers and spearers pursuing northern pike this winter can prepare for new pike regulations that will be in effect for the spring fishing opener on Minnesota’s inland waters.

“Pike regulations remain the same this winter, with major changes coming this spring,” said Chris Kavanaugh, northeast region fisheries manager. “As anglers continue fishing for pike, we encourage them to get used to measuring their catches and even consider keeping some of the smaller ones in the north-central part of the state.”

The new regulations on inland waters will be in effect starting March 1; however, fishing for northern pike is not allowed on these waters until the fishing opener on Saturday, May 12.

Spearing season opened Nov. 15 and pike fishing remains open until Feb. 25, 2018. Current statewide regulations including the daily and possession limit of three northern pike is still in effect. So, too, are special and experimental regulations listed for specific waters in the 2017 Minnesota Fishing Regulations.

The new fishing regulations beginning in the spring take a cue from hunting regulations and will set up three distinct zones to address the different characteristics of pike populations in Minnesota.

“Anglers and spearers have an opportunity to use this winter as a transition period and become accustomed to measuring their catch before the new rules take effect,” Kavanaugh said. “We know many anglers already do measure fish, and spearers judge fish size, but we want to highlight the importance of those practices when it comes to northern pike.”

Pike zones begin this spring
When the new regulations take effect this spring, the majority of the state will be in the north-central zone where the issue is overpopulation of small pike. Anglers here will be able to keep 10 northern pike, but not more than two pike longer than 26 inches, and all from 22 to 26 inches must be released. Northern pike taken by spearing follow the same rules except one pike may be between 22 and 26 inches and one longer than 26 inches.

In the northeast zone, the new regulation will maintain harvest opportunity and protect large fish already present and anglers here will be able to keep two pike and must release all from 30 to 40 inches, with only one over 40 inches allowed in possession. Spearers also will be able to take two pike but only one may be longer than 26 inches.

In the southern zone, the regulation will intend to increase pike abundance and improve the size of fish harvested. Anglers and spearers will be able to keep two fish, with a minimum size of 24 inches.

For more information on the new zone regulations visit mndnr.gov/pike or contact a local area fisheries office. Contact information can be found at mndnr.gov/areas/fisheries or in the printed fishing regulations booklet.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :mad1: :mad1: what a crock of sheep sheet! :confused: talk about confusing.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure :scratch: how this will effect the lake we're on as the biologist that works our lake told us at the annual meeting of the property owners, in August, that there was a chance that the special regs we've had for the last 10 years might still be in effect for 2018. That was keep 9 < 22" & everything from 22-36" had to go back, guess we'll find out as we get closer to the opener. Just as a side note, in 2016 I caught the 1st pike over 30" on our lake in at least the last 15-20 years. They were asking for input this fall on this & I emailed our guy telling him I was in favor of keeping our regs in place. I agree glenn, this sounds very :confused:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i printed this off the DNR website, the more i read this, and its been 4-5 times, the more this makes no friggin sense. who's dumbazz idea was this? who is going to enforce this......and more importantly how.

i read and heard talk of this in the past but never in a million years did i think this would actually happen. i fish lakes that have an overpopulation of pike, a few lakes that have very few and some in between. what the hell are these lake surveys done for then if there gonna just put out an all inclusive rule/law. i had no problem checking the regs if i went to a lake that i wasnt familiar with.

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ignorant on ice/spearing fishing but how do you measure a fish under the water before you throw a spear into it.  :scratch: serious question
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A big part of the issue, I think, is that the people in St. Paul make the rules :bonk: & the people actually doing the work out in the field & those using the resource don't have enough say. It's easier for those in St. Paul but just the opposite for the rest of us.I wouldn't be surprised to see this issue revisited in a year or 2 & changed back to the way it is now. In order for that to happen there would need to be major resistance from the people who actually are using the resource.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm ignorant on ice/spearing fishing but how do you measure a fish under the water before you throw a spear into it.  :scratch: serious question
seriously...........you dont/cant. best bet is years of experience.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seriously...........you dont/cant. best bet is years of experience.

that's the best answer  I could give ya too...

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I know that. I just didn't understand how they could impose a size limit since you can measure and you can't catch and release with this type of fishing. I just thought there would be a possession limit and not a size limit on spear fishing. Just a guy from a non ice/spear fishing region wanting to understand. Thanks
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I know that. I just didn't understand how they could impose a size limit since you can measure and you can't catch and release with this type of fishing. I just thought there would be a possession limit and not a size limit on spear fishing. Just a guy from a non ice/spear fishing region wanting to understand. Thanks
hey coffee.....................dont feel bad i'm almost certain the idiots that thunk this up dont understand it either!!!!!!!!!! and no i aintz callin ya an idiot. :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Easy...  Just drop this down your hole...

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen from 33 to 40.5 nords come out of Lake Osakis already..  wow!! 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Received an email last week from the DNR biologist that works our lake sayin that the special regs we've had in place for the last 10 years will no longer be in effect. The lake will be under the same new regs as the rest of the region starting on the Opener.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner, not sure it will make much difference other then the 2 you will be able to keep from 22- 26. Besides how many people actually go out to get them little snot rockets. Well fisherman that have a good pickled fish receipe!! :smoking: :smoking:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Probably not, about the only people I know of were the ones who furnished the fish for the first lake assoc. meeting every year as that's always a fish fry. Seems that it's all small nords for that & with 60-80 people usually showin up, it's a bunch. I wish they'd kept the old regs in place as I don't think there's very many of the 22-26" ers & bigger in there. He said that it was 3/4 of the replies he got were in favor of the change & it does make it less confusing, so I understand. Now they can take 10 so ya never know, it could work, give it time & we'll see.