Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: BWCA 2018 Permits/Lottery  (Read 9121 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Seen a short piece on this on the Duluth news last night. I didn't remember the exact date but pretty sure they said 9 am it'll open, hope they do more testing of the new version before then. :bonk:

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — The U.S. Forest Service plans to relaunch a balky new Boundary Waters Canoe Area reservation system on March 4.

The system crashed when it first went live Jan. 30 on the first day to apply for permits. Only a few people were able to reserve permits before the system failed. The Forest Service says the technical issues have now been addressed.

Outfitters use the system to obtain permits for customers for popular entry points and dates. They warned officials that the crush of first-come, first-served online reservations would overwhelm its capacity. The service previously awarded scare permits by lottery. Permits for an area where motors are allowed are especially coveted.

The Forest Service says it’s confident the system will work now.

People who reserved permits earlier will have to reapply.
« Last Edit: February 02/22/19, 12:25:50 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Submitted by The Ely Echo

:reporter;    Lottery, lottery, lottery, lottery, lottery

:coffee:
The message was loud and clear yet the Forest Service didn’t hear it. From elected officials to users to outfitters, the one request was to reinstate the lottery system for the BWCA day use and overnight motor permits.
 That would alleviate much of the congestion that caused the online permit system to crash seconds after it opened on Jan. 30. It was an embarrassment to the Forest Service which had been touting the system for months.

Like a bull in a china shop, the agency continues to head down the same path, throwing warnings and pleadings to the side. The next date is Feb. 27 and there is still no lottery.

This debacle caused U.S. Representative Pete Stauber to hold a public meeting in Ely to discuss the digital disaster.
 Minnesota’s two U.S. Senators both called for “the lottery to be reinstated this year.” If you’re keeping score at home that’s one U.S. Rep and two U.S. Senators telling the Forest Service to do a 180 and go back to what works.

The Forest Service admits failure but does not learn from it. The system is broken and will not be fixed by Feb. 27:angry2:  The only solution is to bring back the lottery where everyone had a fair chance to get a high demand permit.

One excuse we heard said doing away with the lottery will cut back on the 38 percent of motor permits that don’t get used. :bs: How? No answer has been given. :confused:

We did hear a former elected official give the reason many people in Ely believe to be true. Those who don’t believe motors should be allowed in the BWCA purposefully reserve day use and overnight motor permits but never use them, thereby keeping Ely residents and customers of Ely businesses from being able to access the BWCA. No one has refuted that statement. :tut:

There is no way the Forest Service or its contractor can make internet access fair and equal. This is truly laughable. :rotflmao:  There are going to be people who are closer to major hubs with high speed access who will be able to get permits and others who live in rural areas like Ely will not. This is a fact, based on the digital divide that exists in the world today.

So why would the Forest Service sit in Ely on Saturday and listen to these concerns? Will they go back to the drawing board and start over? Will they admit their plan is flawed from the start? :bonk:

If you’re new at this game, we will give you a hint. There are people in the agency who could care less if the permit system is unfair to motor users. In fact, they relish the idea the system doesn’t work. It’s part of the :bs: overall plan.

Platitudes and not answering direct questions don’t fool people up here. We’ve heard and seen this too many times. We appreciate our federal elected officials for pointing out there is only one solution: reinstate the lottery process. :happy1:

We’re also wise enough to know the chances of that happening are slim and none. :banghead: And that’s the message that was received from the U.S. Forest Service. They were here to listen, but in the end, the lottery is not in their plans.

Note from Lee:

I''ve been going to the BWCA every year for 35 years! Every year on the one last daily trip into the BWCA I have a tridition. I stop my boat at the end of the lake, remove my hat, look up into the heavens, And thank GOD for giveing me the privilage of being there one more year!

A modest little wooden cabin
Is waiting for me there,
And as I enter into its doors
Away go all my cares...

My heart is filled with memories
That can never be replaced
Although they make me sad at times
I know life's too precious to waste

To fight a fish across the miles
And reel him into view
Or simply float across the stretch
Of endless tranquil blue

To sit upon the pier at night
And gaze at the star-filled sky
That's always bigger and clearer there
It doesn't matter why

A man must have a place to go
Where his mind and soul are free
If he's lucky enough to find that door
Then God will turn the key

Basswood Lakes my secret spot
Its banks run clear and strong
And each time I return to them
I know that I belong.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02/23/19, 08:39:35 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
    Forest Service to relaunch balky BWCA permit system March 4

:reporter; Latest article......
February 25, 2019
Associated Press

Read more..... :doofus:
ST. PAUL, Minn. — The U.S. Forest Service says it has finally fixed the bugs in a new online reservation system for Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness travelers that crashed shortly after its first attempted launch last month. It’s preparing to re-launch it at 9 a.m. CST on March 4.

Outfitters and other businesses on the edge of the northeastern Minnesota wilderness area were irritated  :angry2: that the Forest Service didn’t consult them before it decided last year to move away from a lottery for awarding permits for the most highly sought entry points and dates. It switched instead to a first-come, first-served online system akin to ticket sites that get bombarded with traffic when a hot new show goes on sale.

The system didn’t work when it first went live Jan. 30. The 1,200 to 1,300 people who managed to make reservations back then lost them when the system failed and will have to try again with everyone else. Here’s a look at some of the issues:

WHAT THE SYSTEM DOES

The Forest Service limits the number of parties that can enter the Boundary Waters through the most popular entry points and dates so that travelers don’t get too bunched up in the wilderness. For the most coveted permits _ for overnight trips using motors on the few lakes where they’re allowed _ the Forest Service used the lottery system through last year. It had already switched to a computerized system for most other permits.

Outfitters and resorts that serve Boundary Waters visitors regularly help their guests obtain permits. Many of those business owners thought the old lottery system worked just fine and gave everybody an equal chance. They warned that the crush would overwhelm the new system. They were right.

THE PROBLEM AND THE FIX
It was “just :whistling: a technical problem with the software,” Lisa Radosevich-Craig, who works in external affairs for the Superior National Forest, said Friday. “Technicians and contractors have figured it out.” She said they’re confident  :confused: of a smooth launch when the updated system goes live again, and that testing will continue.
Addressing a common complaint from before, the Forest Service held an online training session Friday with its “cooperators,” the businesses that help visitors get permits, to make sure that they understand how to use the system.

LOCAL REACTION
“Confidence is waning,” said Willy Vosburgh of Vosburgh’s Custom Cabin Rentals on Moose Lake near Ely. He said his customers are “frustrated and upset.” He also pointed out that the Forest Service had set the relaunch for next Wednesday, then announced Thursday a delay by one more week to March 4.

Vosburgh said businesses will have to compete for the limited number of permits with everyone else who will be trying to access the system from home or work when it goes live. A party of seven might have everyone try from their own computers when the reservation period opens, but Vosburgh said businesses like his have to access the system via special credit card readers. He said he can have only three, they cost $400 apiece and they can only be used to buy permits.

POLITICAL REACTION bla..bla..bla!
:angry2:

U.S. Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith, and U.S. Rep. Pete Stauber, whose district includes the Boundary Waters, have taken the Forest Service to task for the hardships :party1: caused to outfitters and tourists. :banghead:

“The ongoing failure to restore their ability to make reservations is simply unacceptable and needs to be solved as soon as possible,” the senators said Friday in a letter to Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, who oversees the Forest Service. And they asked him to inform them “how the problem came to be and how you plan to hold the contractor, Booz Allen Hamilton, responsible for the damage inflicted on outfitters and residents in our state.”

Stauber said his office had been inundated :doah: by callers with legitimate concerns about the impacts on businesses and the local economy. :taz:
“While I understand and appreciate that the USFS wants the relaunch of this new reservation system to be a successful one, we are another week closer to the busy season at the BWCA,” he said in a statement.
« Last Edit: February 02/26/19, 05:08:47 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
*TAP*TAP*TAP*   %#^$@ Why the hell won't this work?!

click on it   

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 02/26/19, 05:31:33 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Anybody try this? :scratch: I'm seeing mixed reviews elsewhere.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  :reporter;   Da beginning of da end!

Da competition fur permits opened at 9:00 am

This is to report my success or lack of in da BWCA permit process. First off Borgie and I are extremely poor at computer skills. :bonk: When It comes to trying to work together on applying fur da permits it turned out like a train wreck! :rolleyes: It was da blind leading da blind! :swords: Therefore being in a race to compete for permits I soon recognized :scratch: that this was not going ta work-out. :confused:

Therefore, I decided dat da phone method was my only option before all da permits were gone. Called da phone line and it was a busy signal. (not surprised)

Redialed once again. Dis time it rang! :happy1: lady answered after a short wait (it was now 9:20 am). Told her dat we needed daily permits for da first 3 weeks in July. She checked and stated dat none were left. :banghead: Then stated dat... hey wait a minute! I still see 3 left showing fur yer 3rd in July. "I'll take um says me"  "OOps! :oops1: now der gone" says her sorry.!

Our only hope is to wait and see if any others staying at our resort had gotten permits that we can get added to for some of the days during da 3 weeks. :doah:

I had ta tell the resort owner da after a great relationship of over 30 yrs dat we would have ta cancel if I can't piggyback on someone's permits during the 3 weeks. He said he has ta see how many others were successful in getin permits.

We will wait and see............. :confused:

Quick note:  Later The same day yesterday I received  an e-mail for two day permits. All dat after she said there was no more. :bonk: That would mean only 2 trips to Basswood on our last week of da 3 week vacation. :thumbs:

Here is an interesting fact stated by the former county commissioner.

Former St. Louis County Commissioner Mike Forsman said he has no faith that the Internet-based reservation system will be successful.

He also addressed that with the lottery system, at least 38 percent of those who obtained permits didn’t show up to use their permits on the specified date and entry point. "That 38 percent purposely don’t show up," he said. "This comes from the environmental community that typically have the permits and they’re trying to keep people out of the Boundary Waters.  :angry2: They get those motor permits and they don’t show up. They don’t want motors in the Boundary Waters." :moon:

He said the issue won’t change with the Internet permit reservation system. "I’ll guarantee that you’ll have another 38 percent that don’t show up because they are bought by the environmental community that has more money that anybody in this room," Forsman said. "They can buy as many permits as they want and they don’t have to worry about that poor person whose dad or grandpa used to fish on Basswood Lake, or Moose Lake or the Chain of Lakes."  :taz:

Stauber said he’s concerned about the economic impact the BWCA has on the Ely community. "The shutdown of the BWCA online permit system has economically impacted local businesses who rely on the hundreds and thousands of tourists who come out every year to enjoy the Boundary Waters," he said.

About 150,000 tourists enjoy the Boundary Waters annually which brings in $57 million in revenue according to one recent study.

"Those of us who live here know that we had restaurants that closed last year and never reopened. :lipsrsealed: "I don’t know how we got here but we have another MNLARS (state drivers license) system on our hands," Novak said. "Where was the field testing? All I see is the reactive. Where is the proactive? Our economy today is based on tourism. We have a government that is supposed to work for us. Basswood Lake used to be our playground. Now we are restricted from going to our playground." :tut:
« Last Edit: March 03/05/19, 11:10:59 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Of course this makes some sort of sense so they may not understand it.  Bear permits used to be the same way.  Tree huggers would apply for as many permits as they could.  They of course never used them.  Just prevented hunters from hunting.  SO the DNR changed it as most of you know.  NOW anyone can apply for a permit but all of the ones not bought by Aug 1 are returned to the for sale list.  Those are first come first served after that date.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's just insane, Lee!!! What a balls-up disaster! Are we the only state that has this type of situation/area, I wonder?

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That's just insane, Lee!!! What a balls-up disaster! Are we the only state that has this type of situation/area, I wonder?
:bonk: :crazy: :thumbs:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 Online BWCA permit system works for some, not for others :moon:

Submitted by admin on Fri, 03/08/2019 - 12:12

The third attempt at having all BWCA permit reservations done online went better than the first two but there were still many who were unable to get permits. (that would be me! :taz:)

After a disastrous start on Jan. 27, the U.S. Forest Service had to cancel a second scheduled date before making the system available at 9 a.m. on Monday, March 4.
This time the system didn’t crash but there were plenty of complaints from users who were shut out from getting permits for the 2019 season.
The Forest Service announced Thursday that nearly 10,000 permits were processed on Monday.

For those who weren’t so lucky, many posted their frustrations online. :banghead: (there goes my vacation)

Posting on Twitter was Lance Johnson who wrote, “The Forest Service wrecked the Boundary Waters permit application system. System is a complete joke and many locals who have gone for decades with their families were forced out. :moon:

“Sad thing is for the last ten years I have seen increasing numbers of empty campsites and far fewer paddle groups on Basswood. This is especially true when you continue past Washington Island, it’s empty.” This is very true just ask Lee! :embarrassed:

Misty Merhar of Ely appealed to U.S. Rep. Pete Stauber in her post.
“@PeteStauber Please, PLEASE bring back the lottery system!!! My husband and I didn’t get permits this morning. :banghead: His internet wouldn’t let him log in at work and mine were issued as paddle, not motor!!! We work and live in Ely and can’t go on either of the 2 weekends we are off!!!”

One Ely applicant was able to find permits, but noted motor permits disappeared fast.

“I was able to reserve several day use motor permits. All motor permits through Prairie Portage were gone in about 40 minutes,” posted Linda Maki.

BWCA user Nancy Mcready posted, “We had difficulties as well. Had to go back to the walk me through page for each day use motors permit. Who did this website? :moon: One would think a split screen with the calendar and entry points would work better than going up & down to pick a date then an entry point.”

Sitting on Moose Lake, Bob LaTourell of LaTourell’s Moose Lake Outfitters said his business took a direct hit when customers were unable to get permits.

“I had lots of people who couldn’t log in. There were some who tried to set up an account online and couldn’t or they had to reset their password and they couldn’t,” said LaTourell.
“I have many, many guests who have been coming here for 20 years who won’t be coming this year,” said LaTourell. (yep! dat's Lee & Borgie :lipsrsealed:)
Those empty cabins will have a direct effect on Ely’s economy.

“For us not to be able to provide service to our customers that is a whole segment of visitors to Ely who won’t be here anymore,” said LaTourell.
The answer is simple for LaTourell and many others.
“We need to get the lottery system back,” he said. :happy1:

Stauber has legislation to do just that. What he doesn’t have is the support of U.S. Senators :fudd: Amy Klobuchar and Tina Smith.
Klobuchar, who is campaigning for president, has been largely silent since March 4 on the permit issue. :bs:

Smith issued the following statement, ““While I’m pleased that the new system is up and running, the unacceptable start-up problems should not have happened in the first place,” Sen. Smith said. “The BWCAW is critically important to the economic well-being of Northern Minnesota, and the new online reservation system needs to serve the needs of the businesses and residents who rely on it. I’ll continue to monitor the system to make sure it works in the long term.”

Ely BWCA user Ross Petersen said the system didn’t work for him on Monday. He believes the online system is discriminatory.
“Poor people and rural people without good internet connections get screwed. Isn’t that discrimination?” Petersen asked.

He said the online system required him to get a new password but both he and his wife were unable to do so. (The same happened ta Lee)

“Both Carol and I were trying and we couldn’t get ours to work. After I tried that three times my internet went out. By the time I got back on, the one or two motor use camping permits I wanted for Basswood were all gone,” said Petersen.
Not able to access the system prior to it going live was a common complaint.
“I kept trying to get on and check it out to see how it all worked but I couldn’t until 9:02 a.m. That was a dumb thing not to have a tutorial.” :moon:

LaTourell said he had over 20 hours of testing the site and still had problems.
“We got kicked off on a couple permits we were trying to attain and I had 20 hours of testing the site for them,” said LaTourell. “To expect customers to have that level or expertise and go through that is not very realistic.” :tut:
Ely outfitter Dan Waters of Canadian Waters said this was another example of the Forest Service not listening to the users. :moon:
Waters said to have all the BWCA permits go live on the system at the same time made no sense. :doofus:

He advocated for staggering the permit availability or do what Quetico Park does and make the permits available on a rolling basis five months prior to the date someone is looking for.
Both Waters and LaTourell said despite all of the testing and assurances the system was ready, there were still multiple issues on Monday.
“There was lots of little glitches with the system and that magnifies the problems,” said LaTourell. “When that happens and you only have a few minutes to figure it out it’s not good.”
LaTourell said the Forest Service has claimed up to 40 percent of the motor permits are not claimed and go unused. He believes that number is false and has asked for proof but has not received any data from the Forest Service.
“Our no show rate is seven percent and that’s what other cooperators have told me as well.
“They said there was 40 percent no show rate so these are not permits that are canceled . The 40 percent are not put back in the system. I don’t know where that number is coming from,” said LaTourell. :scratch:

The Forest Service’s claim that a lottery is not needed also continues to be questioned.
“They said permits are not rare enough so they can’t use a lottery for that. But look how quickly the motor permits went Monday morning,” said LaTourell.
Motor permits for Basswood Lake were gone right away, both for day use and overnight trips.
“We need to get the lottery back.  :happy1: There’s a lottery process for the Easter Egg roll at the White House but we can’t get one for the Boundary Waters,” said LaTourell.
« Last Edit: March 03/09/19, 01:09:47 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
What a joke.  Too bad they screwed up the whole thing.