Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Birds in the back yard  (Read 289561 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Unreal. While talking on the phone just minutes ago, I saw a hummingbird on the nectar feeder. Then after he left, a younger male oriole showed up on the same feeder. Must not have seen the jelly feeder yet but he'll figure it out. There. He just did. :happy1:
« Last Edit: May 05/05/19, 04:59:14 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Unreal. While talking on the phone just minutes ago, I saw a hummingbird on the nectar feeder. Then after he left, a younger male oriole showed up on the same feeder. Must not have seen the jelly feeder yet but he'll figure it out. There. He just did. :happy1:

:happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Latest arrivals include a catbird last nite and an orchard oriole this a.m. Both were on the jelly feeder. Heard the orchard oriole singing earlier this a.m. but couldn't place the song. They're pretty secretive too so it was hard to get a look at him. Heard a house wren in town yesterday but haven't confirmed one at the ranch yet. A lot of the birds like the orioles are pretty  skittish so far, perhaps because the trees have been so slow to leaf out. If the birds on the jelly feeder see any movement inside the house they're gone. As dirty as the windows are that puzzles me. :scratch: :laugh:

Add: Rose-breasted grosbeak cleaning up corn left by squirrel just a bit ago.
« Last Edit: May 05/11/19, 09:21:33 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not my back yard, but at my land.  I took this a couple weeks ago while setting up turkey blinds.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
This morning we had a rooster pheasant crowing on the edge the yard and while I was seated in the oval office, watched a pair of wood ducks checking out some cavities on the silver maple. Still have a spare wood duck house so may have to put it up someplace.  :scratch:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Had our first Oriole yesterday.  Right on the Hummer feeder in the window.  Then he went and pecked at the suet block for a minute. 

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw something new in the backyard...  Twice in the past week we've had a falcon visit - once sitting on the fence and once sitting on the wire.

I got one crappy cell phone pic, which really doesn't show anything.  It doesn't stick around long enough for me to go grab a real camera.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Had our first Oriole yesterday.  Right on the Hummer feeder in the window.  Then he went and pecked at the suet block for a minute.

We had our first Oriole yesterday too....pecked at the suet, and was gone.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
we have a few orioles around. seen a pair of males fighting. nite before 2 male cardinals where going at it.

only seen 1 hummingbird??? :scratch: :doah: no bluebirds or them barn swallows lately either.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hummers are buzzing around here now.   :happy1:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of action at the feeders this beautiful morning. Saw the first pair (for me) of indigo buntings for the year. Good day all!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of action at the feeders this beautiful morning. Saw the first pair (for me) of indigo buntings for the year. Good day all!

First pair of the year?!?  I've never seen one in my life!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Had one at the thistle feeder early this a.m. It was still dark enough that it almost looked black. The wrens were singing in time for me to check my cutworm and armyworm traps.  :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What kinda bird is this? I seen at least a couple dozen down by the beaver damn. It's no bigger than a Finch.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/14/19, 04:11:00 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
a black bird with orange spots!!!!!!!!!!! :smoking: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :taz: :taz: I know the name but dang nabit……….it isn't coming to me!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: I've seen them before too!!!! UGH!!!!!! :doah: :confused:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What kinda bird is this? I seen at least a couple dozen down by the beaver damn. It's no bigger than a Finch.

American Redstart?

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Orchard Oriole?

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

American Redstart?

I think you nailed it... web sez it is a medium sized warbler.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Definitely a redstart

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ok, i'll buy that!!!!!!!

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Put out the grape jelly and oranges on Tuesday and we had orioles within 30 minutes hanging on the feeders. We're thinking there's at least two if not three pair. As my bride and I were sitting outside enjoying the early evening last night this question came up; how come you never see any robins in the bird feeders? We have plenty of them around judging by the singing going on and the white spots that show up on pick up. At least I don't recall ever seeing them in a feeder.
mm

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
give them time, they'll find the grape jelly. they love that. robins are more of a worm/insect eater. I,ve been around bird feeding for a long time and that's the only feeder I've ever seen a robin on.

they also are a bit of a comedy show in a bird bath!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The robins in our yard are only occasional feeders on the jelly feeders. As glenn said, they like earthworms and crawlers which our building site has lots of. When they arrive ahead of the ground thawing in the spring here they survive on stuff like crabapples, nannyberries & American cranberry (viburnum) until the worms show up.

Effing house sparrows have taken a shine to the jelly feeder however which royally pisses me off. Tempting to put an oriole nectar feeder out too but they're a pain when the wind empties them out, not to mention the ants, etc. The orioles don't take any crap off the sparrows tho and hopefully as their nesting continues, the sparrows will knock it off. I know they will if I find their nests and snuff them!  :mad1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We put out our 2 feeders for the Hummers on Monday up at the lake & had visitors within hours. :happy1: :cool:
« Last Edit: May 05/17/19, 06:56:22 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen a pair of wrens and these tree swallows this morning. There bug eating machines!! :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
So.....when you guy's put out grape jelly....

Do you have a special feeder for this?
How do you keep yogi away?
Smuckers or Welches?

What about oranges?
Do ya screw them to a hunk of wood?
Or do ya have a board with some pointed wood dowels you just shove them on?

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, special feeder with a couple little plastic dishes. Got it at FF many moons ago.  No yogis here, just the occasional sasquatch.  Cheapest jelly I can find altho I just got Welchs at DG cheaper than the generic from the grocery store. Jelly feeder I have has a couple wooden dowels on each end for orange halves.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Just bowls? What happens when it rains?

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
So.....when you guy's put out grape jelly....

Do you have a special feeder for this?
How do you keep yogi away?
Smuckers or Welches?

What about oranges?
Do ya screw them to a hunk of wood?
Or do ya have a board with some pointed wood dowels you just shove them on?

Yogi not a problem in a good part of the state...  Like Rochester.    But I have never had much luck with oranges or grape jelly.   Or even those fancy freeze dried meal worms...

I need to put together a new feeder with a roof for the oriole smorgasboard.