Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Isle Royale Wolf Decision  (Read 7546 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police: Park Service Nearing Decision On Isle Royale Wolves

Dec 2017

:reporter; ......
DULUTH — The National Park Service is getting closer to announcing its final decision on reintroducing wolves to Isle Royale National Park, and it couldn’t come a minute too soon.

:popcorn: ....
Wolf researchers for Michigan Technological University say the island may be down to its very last wolf based on analysis of trail camera data gathered over the summer and through September.

:scratch: ..
“We were able to document only one on a trail camera,” said Michigan Tech researcher Rolf Peterson. “It’s still possible that there are two.”

It’s not that having the final two wolves would matter much anymore because the pair was unable to produce viable offspring. :doah: The last two, a male and his daughter/mate, produced pups that didn’t survive, likely because they were inbred. :tut:

:police: ....
John Vucetich, another Michigan Tech researcher who studies wolves and moose on the island with Peterson, said it’s very plausible there is only one wolf remaining but that the difference is only an issue for people who are watching the wolves’ plight.

“Biologically it really hasn’t mattered for about five years. That’s when they (the island’s wolves) were last biologically viable,” Vucetich said.

Wolf numbers have crashed from 24 in 2009 to just the pair earlier this year — a 7-year-old female and 9-year-old male — as inbreeding spurred genetic defects that have crippled the wolves’ ability to survive and reproduce.

As wolves decline moose numbers on the island have skyrocketed, :happy1: from 1,300 in 2016 to 1,600 in 2017, and researchers say that number continues to increase. A new population survey will be conducted in January with results released in April.

It’s because of that unhealthy predator-prey balance that the National Park Service decided one year ago to intervene and bring new wolves to the island. Isle Royale officials held public input sessions earlier this year and then sorted through nearly 5,000 public comments on the proposal before submitting their final plan to Washington month ago.

A decision was expected by year’s end but it’s not clear now if that will happen. :confused: Mark Romanski, natural resource division chief for the park, said the final document remains under review by U.S. Interior Department/National Park Service officials in Washington.

“We don’t know exactly when that process will conclude,” Romanski said, adding that he expects a decision “fairly soon.”

In addition to the Park Service’s “draft preferred alternative” of introducing up to 30 wolves immediately to bolster the population, the Park Service considered a no-action alternative and a slower reintroduction, starting with just six to 15 wolves and waiting to see what happened.

Some people had suggested that the Park Service stay out of the situation and let the island’s wolves run their course, saying the definition of federal wilderness is an area not impacted by human action. But others say the problems wolves face — including climate change and vastly diminished Lake Superior ice cover, which makes it less likely for new wolves to come to the island — show humans already are having an impact.

The 45-mile-long, 143,000-acre island is located about 15 miles off Minnesota’s North Shore.

Moose came to the island around 1900, peaking at 2,445 in 1995 and hitting bottom at just 385 in 2007. Wolves are relatively new to the island, having crossed the ice in 1949. Their numbers reached a high of 50 in 1980, and 24 wolves roamed the island as recently as 2009.

Climate change, spurring fewer years of ice bridges between the island and the mainland, has reduced the number of new wolves venturing to the island and reduced the pack’s genetic diversity.

The 59-year Michigan Tech effort is the longest running predator-prey study in the world.

"And Now You Know Da Rest a Da Story" ......So Far :banghead:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 12/18/17, 07:04:50 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Well I'd gladly help. I'd suggest that the state of Minnesota exchange 50 Itasca county wolves for 200 of there moose.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Well I'd gladly help. I'd suggest that the state of Minnesota exchange 50 Itasca county wolves for 200 of there moose.

It's not a bad ider young fella. :happy1:
Does dis mean yer volunteering to help in da round-up :scratch:

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen pics of a pack of 5 runnin the west side of the lake, between the old resort over there & the little island.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

sure!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

sure!!!

Would you care to share some of your specialized round-up techniques wit us :scratch:

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Tonkin up day game plan right now!! :sleazy:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Tonkin up day game plan right now!! :sleazy:

Please tell us it don't involve any spearing :doah:

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Naw that be illegal!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Naw that be illegal!

Glad to hear dat Glenn :happy1: God forbid you'd have to go through life tagged as an outlaw such as I am. That nightcrawler incident I got pinned on me has ruined my life. Da worse part is I'm still committing  da same crime over and over :banghead:

Many BWCA Reports

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
:police: Park Service Nearing Decision On Isle Royale Wolves

Dec 2017

:reporter; ......
September.

As wolves decline moose numbers on the island have skyrocketed, :happy1: from 1,300 in 2016 to 1,600 in 2017, and researchers say that number continues to increase.

"And Now You Know Da Rest a Da Story" ......So Far :banghead:

But, but, but what about Climate change, and Brain Worm and all the stuff killing the Minnesota Moose, but Wolves!!!!  :confused:   :mad1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

On other News!

Lake Superior's last caribou herds: Ontario rushes to move remaining herd to avoid wolves

By John Myers  on Dec 10, 2017 at 6:00 a.m.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
they should kill all the remaining wolves there, and use it as a natural breeding grounds for moose... and move a few hundred to the mainland every year.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
they should kill all the remaining wolves there, and use it as a natural breeding grounds for moose... and move a few hundred to the mainland every year.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
If we only knew the politics and groups behind wolf preservation we would be shocked.  I remember years ago when they wanted to remove wolves from the island because they were going to devastate the moose population.  Huge outcry from the groups to "let nature take it's course" etc.  Anyway, now that the shoe is on the other foot..... not so much.  Only one thing to say, they are attempting to have it both ways and I'm sure the park service will bow to their demands.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"

Now that's the best suggestion I've heard yet!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

Now that's the best suggestion I've heard yet!

I tink it's down ta only one wolf left. But, yer on da right track! :happy1:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
No Wolves, no predators to control the herd, show me anywhere where that has worked. With out check and balances the herd will soon out grow the island, disease will set in and the weak and strong will all die. There are already no deer on the island and no one can explain that, which is good for the moose. Wolves have been on the island for over 60 years several members of the pack were found dead a few years ago and died to natural causes, something about a cave in or something if I remember.  This sounds like someone who just hates wolves and is not thinking about what they do in the food chain. I also don't think Michigan has a few mil to move moose to where? The island is in Michigan not MN
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
No Wolves, no predators to control the herd, show me anywhere where that has worked. With out check and balances the herd will soon out grow the island, disease will set in and the weak and strong will all die. There are already no deer on the island and no one can explain that, which is good for the moose. Wolves have been on the island for over 60 years several members of the pack were found dead a few years ago and died to natural causes, something about a cave in or something if I remember.  This sounds like someone who just hates wolves and is not thinking about what they do in the food chain. I also don't think Michigan has a few mil to move moose to where? The island is in Michigan not MN

Your Right, since we can't Hunt Moose in Minnesota much anymore!  Bring on the Isle Royale Moose Hunting season!  :Clap:

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
did you miss the part about the part where i said, relocated a few hundred of them to mainland (MN)?  sounds like herd control to me....
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
did you miss the part about the part where i said, relocated a few hundred of them to mainland (MN)?  sounds like herd control to me....
No I didn't, who is going to pay to move these moose. You can't have a cattle drive.  Even if you tried how many would die due to stress?
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wolves find food on Isle Royale

:reporter; ....
Two wolves recently relocated to Isle Royale National Park are on the move and feeding, the National Park Service reported on Monday.
The 4-year-old female and 5-year-old male captured in the Grand Portage Indian Reservation were released in Isle Royale early last week in an effort to rebuild the island's dwindling wolf population, Minnesota Public Radio reported.
But a second female intended for Isle Royale died on Thursday after being trapped, sedated and driven to a holding facility, MPR reported.

:coffee: ....
The two wolves that were successfully placed on the island are being tracked via wildlife cameras and a GPS monitoring collar, according to the park service. They're feeding on moose carcasses that were left for them. The female has moved at least 12 miles into the island's interior, according to the news release.

:popcorn: .....
The island is home to about 1,600 moose. Wolf numbers on the island crashed to just a pair earlier this year as inbreeding spurred genetic defects that have crippled the wolves' ability to survive and reproduce. :banghead:

Many BWCA Reports

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: i still dont understand this???????? :crazy: :crazy: why put wolves there to prey on the moose. if there is so many moose, transplant THEM in northern minnesota!!!! to me that would be money more wiesly spent then what there doing now!!!!

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yeah like the inbreeding qont happen again...glenn knows all about that, right glenn? they should have a moose hunt, right Glenn?
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Any one good with math want to run these numbers to %'s? May be we could do a little trade up!  :coffee:

All est from 2017 surveys. 

Isle Royale  206 sq miles.        Wolf Pop. 3          Moose Pop. 1,600

State of MN 86,943 sq miles      Wolf Pop. 2,860     Moose Pop. 3,710

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

But a second female intended for Isle Royale died on Thursday after being trapped, sedated and driven to a holding facility, MPR reported.

WHAT!?!  A wolf DIED?!?  We can't allow this program to continue if wolves are going to be harmed.  Not one wolf left behind.  Zero tolerance.  This program has to be shut down - and shut down now.  This can't happen again.  If they let one die, how many more will they allow to die just to serve their own interests.  Wolves are protected, don't you know.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

WHAT!?!  A wolf DIED?!?  We can't allow this program to continue if wolves are going to be harmed.  Not one wolf left behind.  Zero tolerance.  This program has to be shut down - and shut down now.  This can't happen again.  If they let one die, how many more will they allow to die just to serve their own interests.  Wolves are protected, don't you know.
AND  there eating a species of special concern!!!!!!!!! :tut: :bs: :surrender: :surrender: :angry2:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe I could get a part time job shooting mooses so the 2 wolves can eat.  I am thinking I will have to blast a moose a week to keep the wolves healthy.   :sleazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Meese er, moose have rights, too!!!! I know who's behind all this treachery....... :angry:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Relocated Isle Royale wolves making themselves at home.

September 25, 2020

:reporter; ...Associated Press

TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — Gray wolves that were taken to Michigan’s Isle Royale National Park to rebuild its nearly extinct population are forming social groups, staking out territory and apparently mating – promising signs despite heavy losses from naturalcauses and deadly fights, scientists said Monday.

They’ve also achieved a primary goal of the reintroduction initiative by reducing the park’s moose herd, which has become too big for its own good, researchers with Michigan Technological University said.

“They’re having no trouble finding and preying on moose, and that’s really significant,” said wildlife ecologist Rolf Peterson, who has spent decades studying the relationship between the two species on the Lake Superior island chain. “The signs are allpositive, I think.”

Data from radio-transmission collars worn by transplanted wolves and images from remote cameras suggest pups were born the past two years, although the number is uncertain, researchers with the park and State University of New York said.

Wolves are believed to have made their way to Isle Royale by crossing ice bridges from Minnesota (about 15 miles away) or the Canadian province of Ontario in the mid-20th century. After becoming established, their numbers averaged in the 20s before decliningsharply in the past decade, primarily due to inbreeding.

The National Park Service announced plans in 2018 to restore the population, which had fallen to two. Crews took 19 wolves from Minnesota, Ontario and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula to the island in a series of airlifts. Some have died and at least one wanderedback to the mainland.

A report released Monday by the Michigan Tech research team, which tallied live wolves Awolf is released at Isle Royale National Park as National Park Service staffers look on. (Phyllis Green/National Park Service)during low-altitude flights last winter, said 12 had been spotted. Two others that had been seen previously were unaccounted for, meaning the population could be as highas 14.

Researchers counted 15 live wolves in 2019, when the first pup was believed to have been born to the new arrivals. It may have been conceived before its mother was taken to the island, Peterson said.

In a separate report, the park service and SUNY scientists said images from remote cameras on Isle Royale in 2019 indicated a female wolf relocated from Michipicoten Island, Ontario, had likely given birth to at least two pups. Pup-sized scats were collectedfrom two sites this summer, and pup-sized tracks were spotted. Genetic analysis of the scats may help determine how many have been born on the island.

Four social groups appeared to be taking shape, displaying signs of courtship and willingness to mate, although they weren’t sufficiently structured to be considered packs, the Michigan Tech report said.

Two have staked out territories on opposite halves of the 45-mile-long (70-kilometer-long) park’s main island, while the others were trying to establish secure areas to wander and hunt, spending considerable time on smaller islands.

“The wolf situation on Isle Royale remains dynamic as these wolves continue to work out their relationships with one another,” said Mark Romanski, a park service biologist coordinating the introduction program. “It is expected that social organization oughtto settle down, but then again, wolves don’t always abide by human expectations.”

The plan calls for 20 to 30 wolves to be taken to Isle Royale over three to five years, but the coronavirus pandemic has put additional relocations on hold, spokeswoman Liz Valencia said.

The Michigan Tech team’s moose census, also based on aerial observations, estimated the population at 1,876. That is 9% smaller than the 2019 count of 2,020 animals, which scientists now say might have been too high.

Either way, it appears the wolves’ presence has halted a boom that saw moose numbers jump by about 19% annually from 2012 through last year. The wolves were averaging one moose kill every other day during the winter study period.

The moose explosion has damaged the park’s vegetation, particularly balsam fir, their food of choice during long, snowbound winters. They’ve killed off many of the mature trees. Last winter, moose munched virtually all the new growth that had poked abovethe snow in one monitored section.

A wolf is released at Isle Royale National Park as National Park Service staffers look on. (Phyllis Green/National Park Service)

:Photography:

Many BWCA Reports