Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2018 gardens  (Read 59048 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
excellent Dew2!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Caught red faced. I don't have a chance against crows and deer. :pouty:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
those crows are something else for sure!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I've watched the danged things get a garbage bin top up, and tear open the plastic garbage bags inside for a smorgasbord...

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Picked 2 mater's, 10 peppers and an ice cream and a half of Reb's favorite. GREEN BEANS!!! also cut some dill. Becks gardens called and had pickles for canning yesterday but was in red wing, so next week.

On a side note momma picked up a case of cherries. 18 lbs for turdy bucks.  :happy1: that's $1.67 per pound. And are dey good.

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, you got a garden going on there or a game farm? Good luck!
mm

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It may be too late as most of the tomatoes have been eaten by the animals but I did put wildlife netting over the plants hoping to get some from the little green ones that are left.   :pouty:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard of shooting corn fed deer as the way to go, but this is something new.

Maybe next time leave them a little mozzarella, basil and olive oil for a caprese salad.   :deer:

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Them dang deer savaged our beets and sweet corn last nite. :angry2: :angry2:
Gawd they pizz me off.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not a garden, but the damned things snipped off all the flowers and plants in my Dad's Planter at the ceme.  Next person that says "OH lookit the cute deer"...*BLAM*
 Then I shoot the deer.    :angry2: :angry2: :fudd:
« Last Edit: July 07/14/18, 03:03:17 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
After being gone a week then having to go to the union picnic yesterday, when we got home I went thru and picked everything in the garden. Pulled the green beans. Today I'm pulling the onions.then it's making more pickled green beans and cukes. Needs more water to.

Offline KEN W

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Conservative on some things...Liberal on others."
Done with beans,peas early lettuce,cauliflower.Started making pickles today. First ripe tomatoes yesterday. Lots of zuchinni and squash.First sweet corn today.Raspberries going strong.

Went to Ontario to pick blueberries.....best I have ever seen.....woods was blue.
Conservative on some things.....Liberal on others.....Sane most of the time.

Only the best Packers get to be Vikings.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just a got a nice batch of yellow beans from my neighbor!!  cooking now!!!  good eats!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
How about this for an odd shaped cucumber.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm....dat make one funky lookin' pickle!  :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ended up doing up several jars of dilly beans and pickles yesterday,  but I might have screwed up, ended up not using a tin pot for the mix, I'm guessing its painted aluminum.. any thoughts on how that will make a difference??

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Is it safe to ask what dilly beans are?  :undecided:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Ended up doing up several jars of dilly beans and pickles yesterday,  but I might have screwed up, ended up not using a tin pot for the mix, I'm guessing its painted aluminum.. any thoughts on how that will make a difference??

I'll beat Del to the punch.....  :laugh:

Aluminium oxide is not very reactive and so protects the underlying metal from further damage. Aluminium acetate (the compound that forms when aluminium metal reacts with vinegar) is soluable so if you were to be scrubbing the surface of the aluminium while in contact with vinegar, it would slowly be eaten away.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
The pickles and beans gonna be edible yet Hd?

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The pickles and beans gonna be edible yet Hd?
Is the pan coated aluminum? Or bare aluminum? I know that all of the information I have, is not to use bare aluminum pans in the brine or in the liming process. ( Most likely from the "chemical" reaction)

If the pan is coated, the vinegar or lime wouldn't come in contact with the aluminum. I would believe, that would be fine.... I'll do some checking....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
This was pulled off the canning history website...

TYPES OF PICKLES

Fermented pickle vegetables below the surface of the brine. A glass jar filled with water makes a good weight.

Containers and Weights for Fermentation:
Pickles and sauerkraut can be fermented in large stoneware crocks, large glass jars or food-grade plastic containers. If you're not sure whether a plastic container is safe for food, read its label or contact its manufacturer. Another option is to line the questionable container with several thicknesses of food-grade plastic bags. Do not use aluminum, copper, brass, galvanized or iron containers for fermenting pickles or sauerkraut.
The container needs to be large enough to allow several inches of space between the top of the food and the top of the container. Usually a 1-gallon container is needed for each 5 pounds of fresh vegetables. Sauerkraut may be fermented in quart or half-gallon canning jars, but there is a greater chance of spoilage.
After the vegetables are placed in the container and covered with brine, they must be completely submerged in the brine. A heavy plate or glass lid that fit down inside the container can be used. If extra weight is needed, a glass jar(s) filled with water and sealed can be set on top of the plate or lid. The vegetables should be covered by 1 to 2 inches of brine.
Another option for submerging the vegetables in brine is to place on food-grade plastic bag inside another and fill the inside bag with some of the pickling brine. Freezer bags sold for packaging turkeys are the right size for 5-gallon containers. Close the end securely. Then use this filled bag as the weight on top of the vegetables. Filling the bag with brine is a precaution, in case of accidental puncture

Equipment for Fresh-Pack Pickles:
Pickling liquids should be heated in stainless steel, aluminum, glass or unchipped enamelware saucepan. Do not use copper, brass, galvanized or iron utensils. These metals can react with acids or salts and cause undesirable color changes and/or form toxic compounds in the pickles.
For short-term brining or soaking, use crocks, saucepans or bowls made from stoneware, glass, stainless steel, aluminum or unchipped enamelware. Except for the aluminum, the same containers can be used for soaking vegetables in lime. Lime pits the aluminum and can cause an increased level of aluminum in the pickles.

Boiling Water Bath Canner for Processing Pickles:
Use a boiling water bath canner or any deep pot that has a rack on the bottom and a lid. You will need to be able to have 2 inches of boiling water above your jars when you process them.

Canning Jars and Lids: Use pint or quart canning jars specially designed for home canning. Commercial jars such as mayonnaise jars break more easily than standard jars and may not seal. Check all jars carefully for cracks or chips. Wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse well.
Jars that will be filled with food and then processed for less than 10 minutes need to be sterilized first. To do this, cover the jars with hot water and boil for 10 minutes. Keep the jars hot until filled. Jars that will be filled with food and processed for 10 minutes or longer do not need to be sterilized.
Two-piece metal lids should be treated according to the manufacturer's instructions before use. These lids can be used only once.

PROCESSING AND CANNING
Processing is necessary for all pickles and relishes to destroy yeasts, molds and bacteria that may cause the products to spoil and also to
inactivate enzymes that could affect the color, flavor and texture of the pickled product. As in all canning, a seal is necessary on the jar to prevent other microorganisms from getting in.
Pickles and relishes are high acid products because of the large amount of vinegar added or because of the acid produced during the fermentation. Since they are high acid products, pickles and relishes are processed in a boiling water bath canner.
To Pack the Jars: Follow the directions in the recipe and pack the pickled product into the jar, leaving the appropriate head space (usually ½-inch). Remove any trapped air bubbles by sliding a non-metal spatula around the edge of the jar. Wipe the jar rim clean with a damp cloth. Place the lid (treated according to the manufacturer's instructions) on the jar and screw the screw band down fingertip tight.

For All Pickled Products: Place each jar as it is filled onto a rack in the canner containing simmering water. When canner is filled with jars, add more hot water if necessary to cover jars by at least 1 inch. Cover canner and bring water to a boil. Start counting the processing time when water reaches a boil. Process for the time specified in the recipe.

As an Option: Sometimes processing cucumber pickles in simmering water (180° F) for 30 minutes results in crisper products. To do so, pack the room temperature product into hot sterilized jars. Fill jars with 165° F to 180° F liquid, leaving ½-inch head space. Seal jars and process at 180° F for 30 minutes. Be sure to use a thermometer. This temperature is hard to maintain without one.
Caution! Altitude Adjustments: The processing times given for the pickle products in this publication are for altitudes of 0-1000 feet. If you are processing at an altitude over 1000 feet, see the chart for the correct processing time.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Hd. Looks like we'll be ok, since they mention aluminum under the equipment section. Although I'm gonna look up Mrs wages pickle mix (menards) to see if it has any lime in it..

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

Rebs, they're your favorite! Yellow or Green beans pickled, usually with some sort of heat (pepper flakes, chillies, or peppers)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Rebs, they're your favorite! Yellow or Green beans pickled, usually with some sort of heat (pepper flakes, chillies, or peppers)

EWWWW! Why wreck a chile?!  :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I pulled a mater plant today that wasn't cutting the mustard, also pulled 2 peppers I think we're habenero, kept 4 . They weren't jalapeno or green pepper so they had to go.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We both love green beans.  May have to plant some next year.  I have had dilly beans that were pretty hot and they were great!  Would like to try to make some of them too.

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What to do with all of these green tomatoes?  :confused:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Fry!   :happy1:

Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Psssst....they DO turn red... it's only August....;)