Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 2018 gardens  (Read 59044 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
What to do with all of these green tomatoes?  :confused:

Psssst....they DO turn red... it's only August....;)

I know..... but I can't wait! And, I have so many! If they all ripen at once... dunno what I'll be doing doing with them then.....
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Well, what I always did...and it works....really! I wrapped 3-4 together in newspaper, then when I had 'em all wrapped in threes and fours, put the pile of all of 'em in a box downstairs or somewhere cool. They'll ripen at different times off of each other, over a couple months period. And they DO taste no different than vine ripened!  OR, do like Leech, fry 'em up! Make green 'mater salsa! Pickled green 'maters!

https://www.afamilyfeast.com/pegs-green-tomato-salsa/

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pickled-green-tomato-relish/
« Last Edit: August 08/07/18, 06:22:45 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
last night after i got unpacked from the lake i went thru the garden..........i got maters up the wazoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gonna need to use them us, salsa, stewed and juice is on the list this weekend. momma wants to go to the fair so...........

i got cukes also galore, need to get them taken care of. i yanked my cukes and green peppers. took 3 20 gallon garbage cans stuffed full for the cuke vines.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I wanna hear yer salsa recipe, please.....

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I wanna hear yer salsa recipe, please.....
it dont talk!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:pouty:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:pouty:
:nerd: :nerd: morning reb!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

4-9 x 11 cake pans skinned and 1/4ed  tomatoes
1 container onions  the container i use is the older, taller sherbert containers. cleaned and cut up.
1 container green peppers..........see above
1 1 lb container jalepeno peppers......i use the i cant believe its not butter container.
roughly 1 cup of chopped garlic.i also add some home grown celery.

cook down, as i'm cooking it down i use a strainer to get rid of some of the juice or it takes forever to cook off. the last batch i cooked down just the maters for a bit then added the other ingredients. once its cooked down some i add some salt and pepper and a couple tablespoons of ground cummin!!!!!!

put in jars and seal.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh, ya cook it? I was thinking fresh salsa, like for chips....yer stuff would be great spooned over lime-marinated chicky breasts, topped with shredded cheddar.... :tongue:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
my wife has a really good fresh salsa reciepe. for that we use roma maters, they tend to stay together better. but i can get her to get off her azz to make it!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Roma's are great for stuff!  :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Cleaned up the rest of the table onions tonight.....  :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh nummy!  :hubba:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Does look good. I ended up planting 3 clusters of black beauty zucchini and 3 gold clusters. Not sure how many double batches of bread we've made otta tge green ones but them gold ones are non stop. Been grilling most of them,  slicing adding to kaboobs or just grilling for a side, really good. Think I'll do those again next year.

When it comes to salsa we like it chunky,  so I've been slicing everything by hand except for  cloves of garlic and cilantro that run thru the ninja. Its pretty simple recipe,  maters , peppers ( bell, jalapeno,  serrano ) , onion, a clove of garlic per qt, lime juice, cilantro ,salt and pepper to taste.  I have lots of red serranos and jalapenos now, those will probably sweeten it up a smidge.
« Last Edit: August 08/26/18, 03:31:08 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Question......we are supposed to get a heavy frost tonight, I have a bunch of green tomatoes......

Can I, or should I....pull them off of the vine and hope they will rippen?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
not tonight....better chance friday nite!!!!!!!!!!

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
One year I had many, many green tomatoes on. It was about the 3rd week of September and it was predicted to get down to the upper 20's. I went out about 5 AM with the garden hose and drenched my tomato and pepper plants. There were many of them, 24 plants if I remember right, and the plants were huge, some of them 8 feet tall. I spent about an hour out there spraying. The ice on my tomato cages was over half an inch thick in places but I saved every plant and went on to harvest more tomatoes after the freeze than I had before it.
This year my tomatoes are about done anyway.  :pouty:
« Last Edit: September 09/27/18, 06:03:09 PM by roony »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Question......we are supposed to get a heavy frost tonight, I have a bunch of green tomatoes......

Per info I got on here I just put them in a cardboard box with newspaper on the bottom of it.  Then cover with newspaper and they will ripen.  Throw out bad ones as they occur.  Works great.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Velk my phone wedder says cold spring is in a frost advisory. Don't care only thing left is kalarabi and they will be fine.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Per info I got on here I just put them in a cardboard box with newspaper on the bottom of it.  Then cover with newspaper and they will ripen.  Throw out bad ones as they occur.  Works great.

He doesn't recall much, does, he?  :crazy:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman

He doesn't recall much, does, he?  :crazy:
Yes, I do recall that conversation.
I guess I should have worded the question differently.....

Would they rippen quicker left on the vine, covered so the frost don't wreck them? Or, put them in a box in the basement covered with news paper?
I've always been told that they taste better ripped on the vine. Is there any truth to it?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope. Ask Barry.....!  He did it! I've always wrapped about 3 together tightly in one sheet of   newspaper, then take all the wrapped piles of 'em and put 'em in a box down in a slighty cool area. Done that for many years.  They ripen great and taste no different, IMO.....make sure none are bruised or have bad spots, though. Plus, they ripen at different rates, when wrapped in different bunches, so I check weekly, had fresh 'mater's in November!  :smiley: Give it a try!
« Last Edit: September 09/28/18, 07:05:13 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I have done it both ways and the flavor is the same to me. I have a heated garage so i lay newspaper on a table and place on that then put newspaper over the top until the ripen.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: :scratch: i'll be out of fresh garden tomatoes by mid next week. no worries about how to keep them. :scratch: :scratch: :shocked:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I've got a lot of 'maters with a little blush on them so I'll pick tonite but the greenies are on their own. Frequently it's slow to freeze on the south facing slope where they're located.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have done them both ways and I prefer them vine ripened. Either way I don't think you get the full flavor that you get during warmer weather. Either way they are still better than what you can purchase at the store

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I pulled them all tonight...a five gallon bucket worth...
Gonna do it the JB way....put them on a table....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
The skwirrels were just waiting for that...... :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
I pulled everything....maters are in the basement covered with newspaper....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: Did the same thing with mine last thursday night.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I was out hunting so the garden was left to fend for itself.  Got back yesterday but haven't looked to see what froze yet.  :pouty:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***