Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Kitchen remodel going ok  (Read 7670 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
After a year of false starts (wife and I couldn't agree on appliances of all things) I finally started the kitchen remodel. 

Step 1. Finally settled on Bosh Fridge, stove and microwave.

Step 2. Modify cabinets to accommodate taller and wider fridge.

Had to raise the bottom shelf and add a spacer to make room for bigger fridge.

Step 3. Demo old backsplash and loosen counters.

Step 4. Move some switches and put up sheet rock. (Sheet rocker NOT I am)
Thankfully this will be covered with tile backsplash.

Step 5.  Off to the Granite store.... I hope the marriage can take it.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Lookin' good so far!! I just did mine 3 yrs ago.....hoo boy.  :doah:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
looking good deadeye. what granite store ya using? there is quiet a few in  the richmond/cold spring area. i think Granite Tops has an outllet around st meachal!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yesterday I learned a ton about buying granite slabs.  Turns out most places don't sell to an individual off the street (like me).  By accident I stopped at a place (pacific granite) to see what they had.  Turns out they are a "fabricator" not a slab sales place.  In short, the way it works (maybe not at all places) is you get a fabricator prior to going to a place to pick out a slab.  Once you pick out a slab, the place sends the information (note: no prices on slabs, just 1,2,3,4,5,6 or some version of that) to your "fabricator" who then measures your job to make sure the slab will work and then gives a quote.  Once given the go ahead, the fabricator buys the slab and takes it from there to the install.  At any rate, we did run into a few issues in slab selection.  We found several (at different locations) that we wanted to go with but the slabs were on "hold" for someone else. At any rate the same thing happened at M S International but they had another "pack" that they were able to pull a slab for us to check out.  We put it on hold and they sent the information to our "fabricator" who will then do his thing.  I really feel like a big shot saying I have a "fabricator". 

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Fridge, stove and microwave came today.  Hooked up ice maker to the fridge and the gas and electric (Duel Fuel stove).  Now it's time to get working on the granite counter tops. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lookin' great! Man, I love that dual fuel stove!!! :happy1:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I like it all!!  the SS is great!!!  what I can not figure out why the stoves all have a middle burner??? 

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I like it all!!  the SS is great!!!  what I can not figure out why the stoves all have a middle burner???

Cuz it's cool and you an't got one!  :happy1: 
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

well sir I do!!!!!  bought the stove before may late wife passed and she loved it..   that's all I know....  and the sir I'm wondering about.....

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

well sir I do!!!!!  bought the stove before may late wife passed and she loved it..   that's all I know....  and the sir I'm wondering about.....

Well if'en you gots one how long is it going to take you to finger out what the flame in the middle hole does?  :doofus:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I think it's so you can light them all when you put the wash tub on there on bath night.   :confused:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Well if'en you gots one how long is it going to take you to finger out what the flame in the middle hole does?  :doofus:

I can figure it out real easy, have used it.. but I never could under stand some one fingering their stove??????

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
rumor has it LEECH fingers a lot of things!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It's for a FLAT GRIDDLE, you faux cooks!!!! Cripes almighty!!!!! I don't think ANY of ya know!!! :doah:
« Last Edit: January 01/31/18, 08:10:52 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
rumor has it LEECH fingers a lot of things!!!!!!!

Well our stove is Black so it does need a lot of rubbing to keep clean. So you may be right there!  :pouty:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O here we go....black stoves matter.... :rolleyes:

Quit burning crap on it and maybe it wouldn't be so black..... ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
O here we go....black stoves matter.... :rolleyes:

Quit burning crap on it and maybe it wouldn't be so black..... ;)

You no like Black?  :mad1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Fridge issue.  Since I plugged in the new fridge, it trips the GFI (20 amp kitchen circuit) every 12-24 hours. I got to a Warner Stellian service tech.  Needless to say I wasn't impressed when he ask me what the fridge does when the GFI trips.  :angry2:  I told him it starts dancing and singing Dixie.  Then I had to explain what a GFI was and how it worked.   :thumbs:  Here's the issue.  They now tell me the Bosh fridge cannot be connected to a GFI circuit for this reason.  Anyone have same experience with this?  I do know it's not the best idea because a false trip could shut off the fridge but it's been this way for the past 20 years so I don't see a need to change the wiring.  Any thoughts?

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Fridge issue.  Since I plugged in the new fridge, it trips the GFI (20 amp kitchen circuit) every 12-24 hours. I got to a Warner Stellian service tech.  Needless to say I wasn't impressed when he ask me what the fridge does when the GFI trips.  :angry2:  I told him it starts dancing and singing Dixie.  Then I had to explain what a GFI was and how it worked.   :thumbs:  Here's the issue.  They now tell me the Bosh fridge cannot be connected to a GFI circuit for this reason.  Anyone have same experience with this?  I do know it's not the best idea because a false trip could shut off the fridge but it's been this way for the past 20 years so I don't see a need to change the wiring.  Any thoughts?
UFFDA............THAT STINKS!!!!!!!!!! we can swap the frigs though!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea i dont get that one either??????????

on second thought..............is the GFI breaker still good. we have a GFI  breaker/outlet at the cabin and went bad. had to replace it and been fine since!
« Last Edit: February 02/02/18, 10:37:27 AM by glenn57 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
same thought, change the breaker first....

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
same thought, change the breaker first....
and outlet???????????? :scratch:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
yuppers, meant to say both.... tanks....

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Already changed a couple breakers here & we've only been in the place since the Spring of '14. No problems since, either. Must've got a couple bad ones as they were fine to start.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, my thoughts on the GFCI's....(I do my own wiring) even though code says ya haveta have them, especially anywhere near water, I put my 'frig, downstairs freezer AND sump pump on seperate, non-GFCI circuits, exactly for that reason, Deadeye. They sometimes WILL trip circuit when the compressor kicks in. And no, technically, they shouldn't...but they do. Some people have issues with it, others don't.....but sometimes if the power goes off, then comes back on *TRIP*. That's why I put in "regular" breakers on just those outlets.
Just my thoughts...and my ice fishing buddy, who owns an Electric Co, as a licensed electrician, agrees....I consulted him on the same subject when I put my seperate circuits in for those items. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 02/02/18, 05:54:50 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
deadeye, I agree with what reb said. I only other suggestion is to put the frig on it's own circuit completely with a GFCi plug on the end. With 12 ga wire you should be fine......but please remember I'm not a lincensed electrican. Just a dopey maint. guy. Good luck and let us know how you fare.
mm

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well, my thoughts on the GFCI's....(I do my own wiring) even though code says ya haveta have them, especially anywhere near water, I put my 'frig, downstairs freezer AND sump pump on seperate, non-GFCI circuits, exactly for that reason, Deadeye. They sometimes WILL trip circuit when the compressor kicks in. And no, technically, they shouldn't...but they do. Some people have issues with it, others don't.....but sometimes if the power goes off, then comes back on *TRIP*. That's why I put in "regular" breakers on just those outlets.
Just my thoughts...and my ice fishing buddy, who owns an Electric Co, as a licensed electrician, agrees....I consulted him on the same subject when I put my seperate circuits in for those items. :rolleyes:
that explains your curly hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Ahh, go stick yer pee-pee in a non-polarized non-grounded outlet! :evil:  :moon:
« Last Edit: February 02/02/18, 05:55:46 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The amperage pulled from the compressor kicking on and off would be to much for a standard GFI outlet.

I have all of my freezers and fridges on their own circuit.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Deadeye, I did some more research on this for you, and found out it's a very common complaint. One thing I overlooked is that code for GFCI is in kitchen/countertop area; but does not apply to wall outlet for 'fridge. Best answer I found, off an electrical contractor website, is this:

Residential Kitchen
In a dwelling unit (residential), GFCI protection is only required for kitchen receptacles that serve the coutertop surfaces. There's no requirement to GFCI protect receptacles that serve a refrigerator. Unless the fridge is plugged into a coutertop receptacle.

National Electrical Code 2014
Chapter 2 Wiring and Protection
Article 210 Branch Circuits
I. General Provisions
210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall be provided as required in 210.8(A) through (C). The ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (10) shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

(6) Kitchens— where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces.

Why does the fridge trip the GFCI?
Any inductive load when switched off, can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI). This interference can, and often does, trip GFCI devices. Most vapor compression refrigerators have a few inductive loads, any of which could cause the trip.

Is there anything that can be done?

There are devices called snubbers that can be used to reduce, or eliminate the effects of EMI. Installing one between the fridge and the GFCI device, can prevent nuisance trips. The best solution though, is to connect the fridge to a non-GFCI protected circuit.

If that's all it takes, why isn't there already one built in?

While most (all) manufacturers are aware that refrigerators can cause nuisance tripping of GFCI devices, most (none) seem willing to provide a solution. It would be complete speculation for me to try and tell you why they don't care, so of course I'll go through a few possibilities.

Cost.
Plain and simple, it costs money to implement a solution.
Warranties and Operating Conditions.
Most refrigerators are designed to operate in a kitchen. Running them in dusty, dirty garages and basements could lead to more warranty covered repairs.