Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Comparing states to countries in gun ownership.  (Read 8078 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

This Surprising Chart Shows All 50 States Compared To Countries With Similar Gun Ownership
Granted, this survey was taken in 2007, but interesting information.

Under The Gun: A Quick Peek At The Results

As you’d expect, the United States’ “superpowers” match up with some of the world’s superpowers:

California’s total of 33.08 million guns is closest to China’s 40 million
    Texas’ total of 22.33 million guns is closest to Germany’s 25 million
    New York’s total of 17.2 million guns is closest to Pakistan’s 18 million

Interestingly enough, the next biggest state, Florida, is closest to Mexico (16.7 million vs. 15.5 million). Given their proximity, let’s hope they don’t meet in a shootout, because it probably won’t end like a proverbial Mexican Standoff.

The number of different countries on our comparison map is 32. (That number could have ended up higher, but we didn’t list multiple countries in the event of they were tied on the Small Arms Survey list.)

The countries with the most appearances on the list:

South Africa: 6
    Spain: 5
    Uzbekistan: 3
    Turkey: 3

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Those California kooks have the most guns....?!  with the most vociferous people speaking out against them...... :scratch:  :shocked:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm.

The population of California in 2007 was 36.25 million - so on average - every Californian man, woman, and child had a gun?   :confused:

How do they come up with an accurate estimate of firearm ownership in COMMUNIST China?   :scratch:

Do you send a politely worded request to the Chinese embassy?
Do you run a query against the global firearms background check database?

Sure, an oppressive communist government is going to leave 40 million guns lying around.   :bs:

(At 1.4 billion people in 2007, 40 million guns works out to 1 for every 35 people.)

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Also, I'd love to see how the US numbers have increased since 2007 because of the Obama administration.

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution states: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

This Surprising Chart Shows All 50 States Compared To Countries With Similar Gun Ownership

As you’d expect, the United States’ “superpowers” match up with some of the world’s superpowers:

Interestingly enough, the next biggest state, Florida, is closest to Mexico (16.7 million vs. 15.5 million). Given their proximity, let’s hope they don’t meet in a shootout, because it probably won’t end like a proverbial Mexican Standoff.

The number of different countries on our comparison map is 32. (That number could have ended up higher, but we didn’t list multiple countries in the event of they were tied on the Small Arms Survey list.)

I don't understand what conclusion this post is trying to make? Kind of sounds like a liberal argument in favor of gun control to me.

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
Those California kooks have the most guns....?!  with the most vociferous people speaking out against them...... :scratch:  :shocked:

Well, they do have the most people so it would stand to reason they would also have the most guns.....

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
Hmmm.

The population of California in 2007 was 36.25 million - so on average - every Californian man, woman, and child had a gun?   :confused:

That's about how it works out for the entire country.

Actually individual gun ownership is decreasing but overall gun ownership is increasing so that means that less people own guns but the ones who do own more of them.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Wait What?   The Libbers every time they want to take away guns say we're the only Country in the World with guns?  :scratch:  :bs:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Well, they do have the most people so it would stand to reason they would also have the most guns.....

Not necessarily. Generalization. Depends on the attitudes of the people and what the guns are used for.

« Last Edit: January 01/30/18, 09:42:55 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
You hit the nail on the head when you said "attitudes of the people."

I did some more research on the internets, so you know what I'm about to say is true.  Washington Post reported in 2015 that there are more guns than people in the US.  The tipping point was in 2009 - when Obama got into office.  And we remember how strong gun sales were with the possibility of Hillary being elected president in 2016.

What are the guns being used for?

With the increased popularity of black rifles and concealable handguns, you'd have to say self defense.

This just just my two cents, but I believe that many, many guns were purchased because owners wanted to obtain them before it became illegal to buy them.  I have yet to see someone hunting deer in the woods with a Modern Sporting Rifle (although I know some do).  I'll bet that lots of the guns purchased in recent years go largely unused.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
All'st I'm sayin' relative to my previous post is that I'm doin' my best to keep those statistics accurate.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
And I agree. Cartoon post was because there is just so much out there, and a gazillion opinions.  :smiley:

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm witcha.  No offense was taken.

With all the sportsman in the state...  I sometimes wonder what the anti-gun news folks would say if - heaven forbid - a search warrant was executed against their homes; something like:

"... and a cache of weapons was discovered with enough ammunition to start WW III."

Weapons cache?  Enough ammo to start WW III?

Heck, they was just gettin' ready for skeet shootin', duck huntin' and a little plinkin' at the range next year.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Gee, we are 31st. Need to buy some more guns. :happy1:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
It just goes to show you that the media makes things up as they go along.

Here is what the CBS report says about Wyoming, the state with the most guns per capita.

Wyoming has the highest number of registered guns per capita of any state in America. For every 1,000 residents, there are 195.7 guns, about three times the rate of second-place D.C. That's 114,052 registered firearms in a state with a population of only 582,658 people.

But if you look at the Washington Post article I referenced below, it doesn't add up.

If CBS says the state with the most guns only has 1 gun for every 5 people, how can it be that the Post says there is 1 gun for every man, woman, and child in america with 40 million to spare.

Do you think the Post has some sort of agenda by presenting their "estimates" the way they did?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I estimate that there are 40 million idjits scattered around out there, with plenty to spare.  :crazy:

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman

Wait What?   The Libbers every time they want to take away guns say we're the only Country in the World with guns?  :scratch:  :bs:

They say that we have the most guns and this article backs it up.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy groundrat day!  :fudd:   :azn:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
It just goes to show you that the media makes things up as they go along.

Here is what the CBS report says about Wyoming, the state with the most guns per capita.

Wyoming has the highest number of registered guns per capita of any state in America. For every 1,000 residents, there are 195.7 guns, about three times the rate of second-place D.C. That's 114,052 registered firearms in a state with a population of only 582,658 people.

But if you look at the Washington Post article I referenced below, it doesn't add up.

If CBS says the state with the most guns only has 1 gun for every 5 people, how can it be that the Post says there is 1 gun for every man, woman, and child in america with 40 million to spare.

Do you think the Post has some sort of agenda by presenting their "estimates" the way they did?

No one, not even conservatives are disputing the 300 million number for guns in the US. I think the difference between the CBS story and the Washington Post story is that CBS is only talking about registered guns. The large estimate of US gun ownership is taking into consideration all guns, not just those that are registered. The post is not the only media outlet reporting that number, they all report that number.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They just didn't report the 10, 765 guns MS13 and the street gangs have, is all.

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
They just didn't report the 10, 765 guns MS13 and the street gangs have, is all.

MS13 in Wyoming?
 :crazy:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
« Last Edit: February 02/03/18, 03:22:38 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Dave's tr'in to stir the pot....when there ain't no pot ta stir......  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: February 02/03/18, 03:52:47 PM by HD »
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
'Cept the one around his middle.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 02/03/18, 03:38:58 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
Dave's tr'in to stir the pot....when there ain't no pot ta stir......  :rotflmao:

I'm just still trying to figure out what you were trying to accomplish by posting these liberal stats?