Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Garage door is balking  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
The garage door keeps reversing while I try to lower it.  I have tried resetting the opener but it hasn't worked.  I can't see any obstructions in the rails and the rollers all look good.  The door is only 3 years old but in the cold it just balks.

I am to the point where I think I need to clean the rails and lube them.  Grease or oil seem like a bad choice because they will gum things up.  What do you recommend that I use - if anything?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
By the garage doors at menards they have a specific lube for garage doors. Also I had a door that used to do the same thing but it was not predictable.. what it turned out to be was the sun would hit the reflectors for the safety laser. You may want to clean those lasers and make sure they aligned they could be all goobered up and got kicked one to many times.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
The garage door keeps reversing while I try to lower it.  I have tried resetting the opener but it hasn't worked.  I can't see any obstructions in the rails and the rollers all look good.  The door is only 3 years old but in the cold it just balks.

I am to the point where I think I need to clean the rails and lube them.  Grease or oil seem like a bad choice because they will gum things up.  What do you recommend that I use - if anything?

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Two things.
#1 if you have the safety eye's near the bottom they may have gotten out of adjustment and the door is breaking the beam when it goes down.
#2 when it gets cold you may have to adjust the down tension a little more. And like suggested above get the garage door lube and shoot everything.
« Last Edit: February 02/13/18, 11:15:50 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
#1 if you have the safety eye's near the bottom they may have gotten out of adjustment and the door is breaking the beam when it goes down.

This.  It took me a while to figure mine out, but I noticed that one of the rails my safety eye was mounted to would flex just enough at the bottom when the door came down to cause the beam to lose contact.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
After a few years a new door can jiggle loose and become un-square, gereally the rails, things need to be tighten up. After youve checked the lazer eye saftey feature
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
You need to look at the easiest thing first. Clean off those eyes with alcohol and Q-tip, and make sure beam is square and in-line with eyes. They will get out of adjustment too, turn yer down force screw 1/4 turn clockwise. After all that, if it still does it, something is binding somewhere. As for grease on door rollers/rails, that just collects crud and dust. Use a light liquid spray like LPS or silicone on rails and rollers. I've installed and worked on many doors in the past....like my own, too.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: February 02/14/18, 07:48:37 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
All good ideas, typically we'll check the electric eyes for alignment 1st. Have used a little lube before too, but usually found what Boar said was true. Some of the hardware had worked a little loose, either on the door itself or occasionally part of the rail had came out of alignment. Most of the time it turned out to be the safety eyes were a little off.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boar's eyes. Just had to.  :rotflmao:

:doofus:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
All good ideas, typically we'll check the electric eyes for alignment 1st. Have used a little lube before too, but usually found what Boar said was true. Some of the hardware had worked a little loose, either on the door itself or occasionally part of the rail had came out of alignment. Most of the time it turned out to be the safety eyes were a little off.

So then your saying what Leech~~ said may be true as well!  :bonk:   :coffee:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's yer problem...

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Sometimes a good talking too may fix the problem the door could just be sad or cold
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Tom spray each roller and shaft down with WD-40,Then work the door.
 I installed lots years back and many times got called back in winter Mostly rollers with  stiff grease,Frost heave would be safety beam alignment.BUT if it works then stops  near the same place each time Use the wd40 till warm spring then clean with carb cleaner and use a lub for cold weather.

PS tom you used to know me as sparcebag
« Last Edit: February 02/14/18, 10:43:27 AM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  Checked and everything was tight.  I cleaned the rails and the eye jobberdo and the door works fine now.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info.  Checked and everything was tight.  I cleaned the rails and the eye jobberdo and the door works fine now.

No Like button showing?  :confused: LIKE.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

:pouty: there's always the applaud button!! :banghead: :banghead: :Clap: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:pouty: there's always the applaud button!! :banghead: :banghead: :Clap: :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech never said to clean off the beam lens. No Like needed.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it all depends on the set up. We had an old heavy wood door with an old opener, worked great in the warm season but  fought the same issues in the cold. The eyes had nothing to do with those problems. I would wipe down the rail,  spray the chain and it worked fine. Fast foreword that herky jerky set up is gone. Ever notice they run nice and smooth in the warm but the cold they can jump around and hesitate... it's called lubrication.
« Last Edit: February 02/14/18, 07:25:25 PM by Bobberineyes »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech never said to clean off the beam lens. No Like needed.

Ok, ok Reb gets a pat on the back too, for the beam cleaner ideer!  :Clap:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah Leech~~ I noticed that (like button) yday too or that would've been my reply instead of repeating your post. :bonk::rolleyes: :laugh: Tom  :cool: ya got it workin. :happy1: I did fail to mention yday that we did have 1 time where we actually had to replace the electric eyes on Mom's garage door. The 1 in the corner where all the stuff gets put quit workin.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah Leech~~ I noticed that (like button) yday too or that would've been my reply instead of repeating your post. :bonk::rolleyes: :laugh: Tom  :cool: ya got it workin. :happy1: I did fail to mention yday that we did have 1 time where we actually had to replace the electric eyes on Mom's garage door. The 1 in the corner where all the stuff gets put quit workin.

Don't tell the safety Nuzis.  But when I installed my last door opener. I just taped the two safety eye's together and left it on top of the opener motor! Don't have any little kids around anymore and hate the durn things!  :mad1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that's where both of mine are..........  still together on top of the motor....

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

this is weird, noticed some time back some threads have the LIKE some don't?????????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :doah:

HD get on it!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Mine are still installed "properly" on the wood door frame....but one above the other, facing each other a foot apart.  :whistling:
« Last Edit: February 02/15/18, 09:34:18 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Mine are still installed "properly" on the wood door frame....but one above the other, facing each other a foot apart.  :whistling:

:happy1:   :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

:happy1:   :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1: :happy1: