Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: May be getting a new smoker.  (Read 20123 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered which one that was JB.  Thanks I will look it up.  We did a spatchcocked chicken.  Looked great but needed a little more time so I finished it in the oven.  The first batch was of course ribs.  I threw a few big hunks of hickory in and it was way too much.  Strong as heck so they are right to not put near the amount of wood in as in other smokers.  First time I have had oversmoked meat.  There is a learning curve and I think I have it figured out now.

double smoked is good but you have to be carefull!!!  your next might black!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I wondered which one that was JB.  Thanks I will look it up.  We did a spatchcocked chicken.  Looked great but needed a little more time so I finished it in the oven.  The first batch was of course ribs.  I threw a few big hunks of hickory in and it was way too much.  Strong as heck so they are right to not put near the amount of wood in as in other smokers.  First time I have had oversmoked meat.  There is a learning curve and I think I have it figured out now.

I don't follow the smoking instructions to a T, but I usually put about 12-14 hours of smoke to it. I would need a self running smoker to do what the directions say.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I don't follow the smoking instructions to a T, but I usually put about 12-14 hours of smoke to it. I would need a self running smoker to do what the directions say.
well???????? isnt that what the directions are for?????? :scratch: to read after all else fails!!!!!!!!!!! :doah:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That is a nice looking smoker!! Getting a handle on how it works is more  reason to keep firing it up  :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did a pork sirloin roast once in the ol frig smoker.  Turned out great and was actually kind of juicy.  Had no idea what I was doing.  Still don't.  Would like to try that again.  Was fantastic sandwich meat with the leftovers. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did a rack of real meaty spare ribs yesterday in the new smoker.  They turned out great!  That made me happy about my purchase.  I was getting a little worried about it.  SO here is what I found out.  I was using way too much wood.  I remembered I found an old Post Office scale in the scrap pile years ago at work.  Wasn't smashed so I brought it home an forgot about it.  Well It says to use 3-4 ozs. of wood.  How much is that?  The last rack that was so overdone I used about 13 ozs. according to the scale.  That is how much I overdid the smoke.  An oz is 1 chunk about 1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5".  3 chunks like that doesn't seem like much wood.  It smoked for an hour and a half appx.  The ribs were the best ones we ever had.  I rub with onion powder, garlic powder, Lawry's, pepper, and plain sugar.  That's my standard rub.  Then I put them in for 5 hours and 15 minutes.  I did peak at 4 hours to see if all was ok.  I had to do it Mike.  The suspense was killing me.  LOL  I did them at 235 degrees.  Then I wrapped in foil and let sit for 20 minutes covered in a towel to keep hot.   Had to pull the meat off the bones but it came off easily.  Perfect!  So sorry I forgot pics.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  that sounds real good!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
I just placed my order should be delivered on next Monday.  :happy1:. Gas, charcoal and smoker box.

[attachment deleted by admin]
if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Alright! You guys are rockin'!  :happy1:  Making me envious!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That looks fun as heck Coffee.  Very nice unit. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I just placed my order should be delivered on next Monday.  :happy1:. Gas, charcoal and smoker box.
smoked coffee beans!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Best I could do was...... :rotflmao:  :undecided:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Best I could do was...... :rotflmao:  :undecided:
thinking i need to replace them also, and maybe a whole new burner system. its a weber spirit!!!!!!!! was going to wonder threw fleet farm but havent had the chance yet. they TOTALLY changed the waite park store around. a guy could get lost in there!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what mine is. I shoulda gone down to the HVAC place to see if they had some sheet stainless laying around and made 'em myself......$35 is crazy! O well, back to the smokers...
« Last Edit: April 04/01/19, 08:44:39 AM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's what mine is. I shoulda gone down to the HVAC place to see if they had some sheet stainless laying around and made 'em myself......$35 is crazy! O well, back to the smokers...
i made some like that for my old grill. gubment job!!! :evil: dont work dere anymore so gotta buy them!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I got my smoker a couple of years ago - a cheap Masterbuilt electric.  It ain't nothing special, but it gets the job done.

Since there are a couple of guys trying out their new cookers, I thought I'd share a website I found...  AmazingRibs.com.  This guy has some great recipes, but he also talks about techniques and cooking science from a flavor perspective.  I won't do ribs any other way now.

His website is a little difficult to navigate because he is selling a book and lots advertising - so here are the links related to ribs.

The Science Of Rubs

Meathead's World Famous Memphis Dust Rub

How To Make The Best BBQ Ribs You Ever Tasted

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
interesting Steve...

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
If you want to read his book, pm me with an email address......   

meathead goldberg

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Not gonna lie,  I've checked out his site a time or two..

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I just ordered the Ring Bologna sausage kit from Curleys.   Have had it before and it is like the old fashioned Ring Bologna you used to get at meat markets.  I keep it sort of coarse grind when I made it with all beef the last time.  Great flavor.  I may add some pork this time.
 Not sure yet.  The casings that come with the kit have a natural curve to them so they make a nice ring.  Can't wait to put them in my new smoker.  It will work real good for that.  Here is their site:  www.curleyssausagekitchen.com  Remember the High Mountain seasonings said not to use a metal mixer and I did?  The meat tasted real tinny and I threw the sausage out.  I emailed Curleys and they said you can use metal mixers with their mixes. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ah ha! And guys said they never heard of that when I mentioned not to do it!!!!  ;)
That's why all the ground meat we did at the butcher shop went into PLASTIC tubs.....
That sucks, Barry. I hate wasting food. I'da probably cried!  :undecided:
« Last Edit: April 04/02/19, 08:35:16 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
It was hard to throw but I tried it many times and just couldn't handle it.  Must be some acidic thing in High Mountains that reacts with the metal.