Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: May be getting a new smoker.  (Read 20126 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well as much as I have liked my Green Mountain Grill / Daniel Boone, I am thinking of getting a new smoker.  Their customer service has been very good to me.  I have had mine for about 4 years.  They have sent me the complete auger assembly with the electric motor and all twice.  I installed it and worked great for about a year then quits working again.  They told me I had the old style grill.  When it works it is great.  When it doesn't work is when you have a rack of ribs ready to go and a day planned around it.  I told them I want a new grill.  They were friendly as heck and said a different guy would call me back.  He hasn't yet and that was a week ago.  I left them a friendly reminder yesterday.  We shall see what happens.  It cost me about $600.

If this doesn't work out I think I am going to get a Smokin-It model 2D.  I have looked at them for some time and have read on the Smokin Meat forum under electric smokers some good reviews.  They are a knock off of another brand for 1/2 the price.  Still going to be about $700 but should last forever and every part is easily replaceable.  If anyone has one let me know how you like it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sure got great reviews from all the BBQ and smokin' sites! Good luck with it when ya get it!  :happy1:
(I'd be more than happy to assist you in a test run of it... :azn:)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
For 6 to 7 hundy you can get a kick ass treager
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
For 6 to 7 hundy you can get a kick ass treager

That's what I paid for the Daniel Boone.  Not sure if I want another pellet grill or not.  Sure was nice while it worked. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bettin' you'll love that new smoker, Barry! Looks like a doozy!   :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Then id get a cabinate smoker
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It sure looks like a "Cabinet smoker" to me...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Whatever you get LPS stay away from the same kind boar got! look how he turned out!!!!!! :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :doofus: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got to say I like my pellet smoker more and more each time I use it......

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I know the treager is the big dog on the block and I wish I had one but super happy with my bradley digital smoker,7 yrs old and so far so good not one miss happ,clean it after every use (grates and drip pan) works like a dream,well insulated for cold weather use stainless steel oven that heats up to 325deg if needed but for my use which is mostly smoking fish and jerky the temps never exceed 200deg.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Have heard those Bradleys are good ones.  Pucks are kind of spendy though I heard.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I love my masfer built
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Have heard those Bradleys are good ones.  Pucks are kind of spendy though I heard.

heard the same......

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Oh the pucks...yes buy em at local stores are somewhat spendy but I buy in bulk off amazon and watch for sales,120 pucks per box $30, just a few bucks per smoke outting about 10 pucks does the job for 4 trays of salmon.
« Last Edit: March 03/13/18, 02:01:00 PM by snow1 »

Offline infamousdave

• Outdoorsman
I've heard great things about the Smokin-it's but I've never actually seen one in use. I've always been a die hard charcoal smoker but I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker this winter to give it a try. I've only smoked ribs on it one time so far so the jury is still out for me.....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Keeripes!!!! Lookit the price on these!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :shocked:

http://pittsandspitts.com/shop/

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Keeripes!!!! Lookit the price on these!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know where you can get one for free.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I might hafta adjust my price a smidge.. :laugh:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy those Mavericks are spendy.  Green Mountain Grills are sending me a new control panel for my Daniel Boone.  They have great customer service.  I went out and started my grill whilst the guy was on the phone with me and we did a complete startup and did some trouble shooting on my grill.  The auger is running erratic so has to be the control panel.  I sure am looking forward to having it working again.  My brother got one when I did and his has been flawless.  Will have to smoke something this weekend.  Sure makes for a fun day when doing something on the smoker/grill. 

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My GMG Daniel Boone runs great now with the new control board.  BUT the best smoked stuff I have ever made was in my old frig smoker before it bit the dust.  I just ordered the Smokin-It #2.  I did not get the wifi version.  I don't need that.  Got a St. Pats special going now.  Free cover, rib hooks, chip tray and free shipping.  All for $504.  I am all set in the grilling smoking dept now.  I did not get the cart.  I will make one or find something else instead of paying $200 for it.  SO I have the Charbroil gas grill for great steaks and fast things like hot dogs.  The Daniel Boone make great chicken and stuff in the medium heat range and now the Smokin -It #2 for the good old fashioned low and slow smokin. 
« Last Edit: March 03/16/19, 12:25:12 PM by LPS »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Nicely done Lps, I've never heard of them so I had to check em out. Having room to hang grub is a great option. And good reviews to boot. I ended up getting a great deal on a pit boss five series vertical this winter, used it maybe 5 times , let's just say I'm still learning on how it works. Gonna give it a go tomorrow on a chuck roast..

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
looks interesting LPS!!  good for you!!!  and hope it works good for ya!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Should get it around Wed.  Can't wait.  I need to find a cart for it now.  Maybe one of them from an audio visual dept. at a school.  Like a projector stand.  OR make something. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Should get it around Wed.  Can't wait.  I need to find a cart for it now.  Maybe one of them from an audio visual dept. at a school.  Like a projector stand.  OR make something.

Boy, you dated yerself there!!! Hand me the Brownie camera!  :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

get one from the Walmart parking lot!!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
LPS,
I think you made a great choice. I have the Cookshack Sm009 which I purchased in 2009, a love it. Smoked whole briskets, shoulders, chicken, and ribs. All turn out great. The nice thing about them is you can smoke for 10-15 hrs with only 1-2 oz of wood. Built like a tank (all stainless) with a thousand degree insulation, so you can smoke at any ambient temperature.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice setup Coop.  I have always heard guys say you need 2 or 3 grills/smokers on the deck.  So what are you using for a stand there on your Cookshack.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
2nd that LPS on Coop's set up!!!  very sweet!!!