Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: electric baseboard heaters  (Read 13912 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
anyone else have electric baseboard heat?????? think one of mine is out of control??? its hotter than heck in our living room and cant seem to turn it off. i think i need to replace the control switch. so would menards have them?????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Might wanna disconnect that one, or call 911....................................trust me, pop the breaker to that one! Can be an internal crossover fault, ya need to check that out!!!!!! What kind of control? Bi-metal or electronic? LOTS of T-stats out there that need to be matched to yer electrical capacity on that specific heater....nothin' to screw around with!
« Last Edit: March 03/11/18, 07:43:53 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I have lelc baseboard. Id say ther cheap enough to replace, my house i base board elc. Ther reasonably priced, dont know if u can buy just the control. But menards would have them if u can. Id tur. Of the circut to that one. Sounds kime its going out and can be a hazzaed be safe buddy
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn!  From an electric manual on baseboard heaters.....heed it!! Just trying to help and maybe save ya!

Here's a little secret about resistive heaters that I use intentionally sometimes. If you apply 120V to a 240V heater, you get 25% of the heat. So, if you're still getting (roughly 1/4) of the heat an hour after you "shut the thermostat off", there's a good chance a heater is seeing 120V instead of 240V. The very serious question is WHY? An internal fault. Because whatever's doing that could burn down your house.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've replaced a thermostat/ control once before never the baseboard itself. That's working. This particular control also operates a heater down by the door where we come in and out. I shut off the circuit breaker to that heater and it quit heating.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I've replaced a thermostat/ control once before never the baseboard itself. That's working. This particular control also operates a heater down by the door where we come in and out. I shut off the circuit breaker to that heater and it quit heating.
Open the control box on the end of the base heat unit,you'll see a label sayin if its 240 or 120, or you can determin by the wiring.Menards will have the control.Yours stuck in the on pposition and overheating can create resistance then the unit may not produce full effiecent heat even with a new control.Their cheap I'd personally replace the whole unit, How long is it?I think the short ones 4-6 ft arent more than 25 30 bucks.But if ya want to just replace the control and take the chance go for it,Its pretty simple
« Last Edit: March 03/12/18, 02:11:11 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
this one is as long if not longer then the big window in front of the house dew!!!!!!! i really dont think its the heater unit , gonna try the control first. so iffin ya here of an explosion in cold spring tonite, well............................................. :doah:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn to wife: "Quit worrying! I told ya I've done this befo..  *ZZZZZZT*  :censored:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
electrical tester would most likely tell ya too......
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd just make the cat lick the terminal ends.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thats why i got married!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: gawd i hope she doesnt decide to log in here!!!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

but seriously, i think i got it covered, since it wouldnt shut off, i flipped the curcuit breaker and quit heating so no power there!!!!!!!!! oh a gotz one of them electrical thingys too!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 03/12/18, 03:12:16 PM by glenn57 »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you got cats??!!!!???   dats funny!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Be better than the movie "Cat on a hot Tin Roof".   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that could be true!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
thats why i got married!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: gawd i hope she doesnt decide to log in here!!!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

but seriously, i think i got it covered, since it wouldnt shut off, i flipped the curcuit breaker and quit heating so no power there!!!!!!!!! oh a gotz one of them electrical thingys too!!!!!!!!

Oh, this sounds real promising.... :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

good luck!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Dang it my post went away not goin to retype!!!!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mission accomplished. still kickin and house still standin!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: thanks to union labor.......rght DEL!!!!!!! :sleazy: :smoking: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:popcorn:  hope I don't run outta popcorn...
« Last Edit: March 03/12/18, 08:27:35 PM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
still working this morning???

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
still working this morning???
:happy1: :happy1: yepper.......house is still standing too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Reb......go back to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: it was the control on the wall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning Glenn!  That's good electrifying news!!  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Morning Glenn!  That's good electrifying news!!  :happy1:
:happy1: morning!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
okay dokey.................pretty sure one of my baseboard heaters took a dump. my issue is which one. its not the breaker, i looked, the control clicks in and out so not that.

i live in a split level home. the control runs the main, long baseboard in the living room, when it kicks in you can hear it and i havent heard it. it also controls the heater in the entry way. me and electricity dont see eye to eye. so how would a guy go about eliminating the baseboard that works and the one that doesnt??????????????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
UNION ELECTRICIAN.  ;)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
UNION ELECTRICIAN.  ;)
:happy1: :happy1: thats definetly what i was thinkin iffin dis boilermaker union guy cant figure it out!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Why bother screwing around with it? You'll *ZAP* the entire house, then ya won't have any heat, and will haveta move in with Boar for the winter....
« Last Edit: January 01/29/19, 11:12:45 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Why bother screwing around with it? You'll *ZAP* the entire house, then ya won't have any heat, and will haveta move in with Boar for the winter....
  :scratch: :confused: :bonk: :laugh: ;) :happy1:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon