Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ticks  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Tom7227

• Outdoorsman
Sunday April 8 an inch of snow predicted.  Anyone see any need to put on the tick juice yet?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Nope, pretty sure there still sleeping.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
lol1 THE TITLE THE GLENNS NAME CAME AFTER... LOL! TICKS...gLENN. FUNNY......
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The wife mentioned it yesterday too.  Sure wouldn't think we would need it yet???

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Last year, they were out and about at this time...but it was a lot warmer, too. Once it get's into the 40's-50's, they're out and about. They'll move about when it's frozen, too though. May and June are the top months for tick bites in Minnysoda.
« Last Edit: April 04/09/18, 04:00:51 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Pulled a little booger off me last week,jumped off the dog sittin on my feet watchin the telle attached to my leg bye morning,not a deer tick thank goodness.Pup was rutten around in some fir tree's and cedar bushes,happens every year these tree's and bushes hold the daytime heat bringing these some beeches back to life early.

Up north,warden friend from silver bay said ticks are active all winter,they call'em winter ticks,they thrive in pine tree groves where moose and deer bed during cold spells,body heat draw's the little boogers outof the ground and pine needles.
« Last Edit: April 04/09/18, 12:20:37 PM by snow1 »

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Tracking a deer #2 son shot a few years ago. Sat down in four inches of snow for a smoke break (back when I smoked) and about half way thru spied a tick crawling across my leg. It was about 30 degrees out that day too.
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good info.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm taking the little sheltie with me up north. FW was supposed to pick up frontline Saturday at FF but forgot!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

she went down to the vet intown today...…...63 bucks  for a 3 month supply.  :doofus: :doofus: :crazy: I looked at FF website and it was 39 bucks.

then local hometown businesses beg you to do business in town. not at that rate...……. :bs: :bs: :bs:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have found 2 on me so far and one big one of my horse Bucko!.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I had one last week, and cant figure out how I got it. longest grass I was in was pulling grass along the neighbors fence??????????????????????????????

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
You were pulling something I'm sure!!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had 1 on consecutive days a week & a 1/2 ago. I did mow along the drive 'bout then & walked through the tree line over to talk to the neighbor a couple times too.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Picked 3 wood ticks off over the weekend. Tall, unmowed grass involved in each case.  :doah:
« Last Edit: May 05/27/20, 12:27:28 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
Went a clear cut behind deer camp on Sunday. I saw some deer hair in the grass about 100' away and decided to investigate. Found a couple of deer legs and not much else. When I got back to my wheeler we picked about 60 ticks off my pant legs. I have never seen some many in all of my 60 plus years. Still picking the little baster$$ off a couple hours while having a cold at the cabin. Skeeters were a pain in the azz too. Watch out if you venture into the woods or longer grass. This was in Hubbard Co by the way. :happy1:
mm

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd say you're experiencing an uptick in the pesky buggers...

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our SIL said also that they are really bad in that area Markn.  That is a lot of ticks.  Ugh!!!  How do the deer etc even survive them?

Offline markn

• Master Outdoorsman
  LPS I'm not sure what the deer do. We find ticks on them in nov. during deer season, but they're usally dead or gone by the time we get home from deer camp. Also we wear white shirts while skinning deer so we can see the little buggers.  :happy1:
mm

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
When I was a kid I read a book about a fox.  Was a fun book.  Well the fox had ticks on him so he picked up a stick and sat in a lake until the ticks crawled up on the stick and then let the stick float away with the ticks on it.  ???  I should contact the show Mythbusters to let them test the theory. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
A fun kids book about pesky ticks floating downstream unharmed on a twig...  That might have been the beginning of Political Correctness.

Our reality was that when we picked 'em off, dad would fry 'em with a lit match head - because everyone carried matches back in those days.

Online delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
A fun kids book about pesky ticks floating downstream unharmed on a twig...  That might have been the beginning of Political Correctness.

Our reality was that when we picked 'em off, dad would fry 'em with a lit match head - because everyone carried matches back in those days.

Zippo and pocket knife...   That's why I treat my canoing clothes with permethrin.   Cheap, lasts a long time, and kills ticks.