Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ban Crossbows?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Archery Trade Association Votes to Change Crossbow Position

ATA (the Archery Trade Association) recently voted to change its position statement on crossbows.

They will no longer support inclusion of crossbows in bowhunting seasons.

They realize the impact of superior weaponry in a lengthy, liberal primitive season.

Details will be released in about a month when the verbiage is crafted and approved

Thank your local MNBowhunters board member for their efforts with a 3 year subscription.  We may keep crossbows out of the MN archery season forever.  Maybe.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
They won't get any donations from me.  I like my crossbow and am not a threat to the deer herd.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Cripes, what's next??! Is there anything we can do for recreation that isn't "regulated" to hell anymore???!!"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so there saying screw the archery hunters that are medicially unable to pull a recurve or compound back?

ok i get it. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :thumbs: :pouty: :bonk: :bonk:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I say replace ALL the legislators, who are medically unable to THINK becuz they don't have a BRAIN!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I say replace ALL the legislators, who are medically unable to THINK becuz they don't have a BRAIN!

there won't be any left..................
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Exactly! That's where WE step in... :happy1:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Dumb asses. Suprior weapon?? I challenge anybody to a offhand hand shoot out to 35 yrds vertical vrs horizontal!! Vertical will win everytime.....
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya seems snobbish to me that they want to eliminate a group of bow hunters from their club.  Same thing happened when compound bows arrived.  Seems the deer herd survived that too.  Dumb ass does explain it too, good one Boar.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I misunderstood...sorry. The CLUB is banning crossbow's... I'm not well versed on that, but seems pretty unfair to some to me.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  I can see it, Keep it traditional! Unlike the muzzy season and the new blackpowder rifles. I always went primitive with a hawkin 50cal percussion or a 45 cal hawkin flintloc. I quit after the hoards started cause of the simple new rifles! Now they want to scope em JEEZE. make it easy and they will come then drive the
 traditionalists out.
 I still go either way recurve,compound or cross which I have the crossbow permit to hunt anything with the crossbow if I wish
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Dumb asses. Suprior weapon?? I challenge anybody to a offhand hand shoot out to 35 yrds vertical vrs horizontal!! Vertical will win everytime.....
Challenge accepted!!!! how much $$ on it? which type bow recurve? straight? compound? cross how bout each??

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
the use of crossbows was first brought up for people with medical restrictions.  :confused: :confused: me not understand????????????
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes Glenn that is correct.  Actually I brought it up to then Legislature Roger Erickson here in LOW County about 4 years ago.  Anyone 60 or over can use a crossbow for any season.  It passed in about 3 months.  I brought it up in April and was in the rule books that fall.  The first time I thought they ever did their job efficiently.  I have had 4 shoulder surgeries and am not going to pull back a regular bow as many others.  We pay for our licenses just as everyone else with a bow does so what is the difference??  Archery Trade Association doesn't have a clue....  This is not the first time this has been brought up, but this time it passed.  There are fewer hunters each year so we all as a group of hunters need to stick together as one group or the antis will divide and conquer us.  What are they thinking???

One more thing..  It is the Archery Trade Association not the MN Bowhunters Assoc.  Who the hell is the ATA?  Maybe they lose sales when someone buys a crossbow. 
« Last Edit: April 04/22/18, 07:58:19 PM by LPS »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
   LPS when you said> Anyone 60 or over can use a crossbow for any season.< Did they change the rules and my disability permit is the same as just buying a small game license for grouse,Pheasants tree rats bunnies etc.??
 I thought anyone over 60 could take deer and turkeys with a crossbow but not anything else?? Guess I havent kept up wit rules.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Still must buy a license but can use a crossbow for deer, bear, turkeys, rough fish etc.  Just have to be 60, no extra permits required.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :reporter; Crossbow expansion dropped from New York’s state budget.

April 23, 2018

:coffee: ....
Albany — Language within the state budget that would have expanded crossbow use into the entire archery season was ultimately dropped from the final version of the spending plan.
It was another disappointment for hunters – notably seniors and physically challenged sportsmen unable to draw a compound bow – who want to extend their deer hunting season.
Currently, crossbows are allowed during the final two weeks of the archery season, as well as during the late muzzleloader seasons and during any big-game season where a firearm is permitted.

The New York Crossbow Coalition, the driving force behind the push for full inclusion, said in an email to its members that the legislative option still remains, with bills introduced in both the state Senate and Assembly. Both proposals remain stalled in the environmental conservation committees of both houses.

“When they return for the remainder of the legislative session, there will still be time to get this done in 2018 through full inclusion crossbow bills A479A and S1386A,” the coalition said in an email. “In the meantime, let’s get all of our hunting companions, family and friends signed up and prepared to continue to push for full inclusion!”

The bills, which have the backing of the DEC, were sponsored again this session by Western New York Sen. Patrick Gallivan (R-C-I, Elma) and Assemblywoman Aileen Gunther, D-Forestburgh.
Several areas – Suffolk and Westchester counties as well as the archery-only areas of Albany and Monroe counties – would remain as “crossbows prohibited” areas.

In addition to expanding crossbow use, the proposals also tie crossbow use with the bowhunting license. That means if approved crossbow users would be required to take the state’s bowhunter education course before heading afield with a crossbow.
Currently, crossbow users must purchase a muzzleloader license to use the implement.

The legislative proposals would also:
Allow 12- and 13-year-olds to hunt big and small game with a crossbow. Because the implement is currently linked to the muzzleloader license, crossbow use is restricted to a 14-year-old minimum age. Hunters age 12 and 13 can currently hunt with a compound bow.

Eliminates the current 200-pound maximum draw weight restriction. That portion of the law was widely criticized by crossbow users and by shops that sell the implements, since it was put in place after crossbows were first legalized for use in New York during the late muzzleloader season. And it was imposed after some New York hunters purchased crossbows with draw weights above that limit.

Permits crossbows to be used within 150 feet of a dwelling – the same setback requirement as currently exists for compound bows.
Removes the restriction on minors and their mentors using a crossbow to hunt from the ground.
Permits bowfishing for carp with a crossbow.
Eliminates the 17-inch minimum width restriction on crossbows.
Allows anyone wishing to use a “draw-loc” device to do so without the need for a special permit.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again