Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Better grab that oil....  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Went to pick up some Valvoline 30w for the mowers yday....Walmart no longer carries it...Menards doesn't...O'reillys doesn't...WTH??!?! Couldn't even find 30w Q-state. Found out straight weights are being phased out as most new mowers /equipment recommend 10-30. Not in MY  engines. They get hot in the Summer, and it thins out enough as it it. Did find it at two places later...for $6.49 a Qt!!!!  NOT!!! However, Fleet farm has it still for (on sale) $3.29 qt. I see Valvoline also has split it from the regular "premium conventional" to "Daily protection" dino style, so there are two different types.  I'm buying while it's hot, before THAT's all gone too. What next??!! :doah:

(Pic shows 10-30; they do have 30w in stock, I checked)

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/valvoline-premium-conventional-motor-oil/0000000238501

I see NAPA is also selling off whats left of it... :doah:
« Last Edit: April 04/24/18, 08:41:01 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Out here we have a Runnings farm and tractor supply store they have it 30# oil
 Maybe try yer local farm supply.No quarts only  1gal.- 2 1/2 gal and up
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been having the same problems for a while up here, Reb. We've went to running a decent quality 10-30 synthetic in most of ours up here. If we watch the ads, either L & M or FF has a 5 qt jug on sale for $2-$3 a qt in the Spring and/or Fall. When I was working on the golf course all we ever used was 30w but we always had a 55 gallon drum delivered at the beginning of the season then.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I've switched to all synthetic, so....
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Have tried to run the Case IH low ash 30W ($$$$) in the tractor for summer and Valvoline 10W30 conventional in the winter.  I run conventional Valvoline 10W30 in the Stude too and add ZDDP to it to help minimize wear. Been using the FF conventional Resolute brand 30W in the mowers. They're ancient & get a lot of use so nothing wrong with it. Have noticed too that some grades like 30W are getting tougher to find. Even at FF it's not as easy to find the conventional motor oil as it once was. A lot more synthetic blends & synthetics. Not always a good deal for older engines.
« Last Edit: April 04/24/18, 04:10:37 PM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Exactly Dotch, the older engines without that "tighter" ring to wall clearance will just let it slip by and burn it. Like you said, synthetic is not always the answer. Went out to Flat Farm, and it was going like hotcakes at $3.29 Qt, for 30W AND 10-30W. Both were the "Premium". I got the last 4 qts of 30w, and also grabbed 4 qts of the 10-30W, and one  of the last cases of the premium 30w. After that, the shelf was just about empty... ;)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The recommendation for 10W30 in these newer, small air cooled engines makes me wonder about their longevity or planned obsolescence. Those old twin cylinder 16 hp Briggs Vanguards in my mowers are both over 20 years old. They leak some oil but owe me nothing. Be lucky to get half that out of these new ones the way it looks.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I don't have things brought over on the Mayflower! :sleazy: :kiss: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Except the rocks in yer head!  :moon:    :bonk:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Exactly Dotch, the older engines without that "tighter" ring to wall clearance will just let it slip by and burn it. Like you said, synthetic is not always the answer. Went out to Flat Farm, and it was going like hotcakes at $3.29 Qt, for 30W AND 10-30W. Both were the "Premium". I got the last 4 qts of 30w, and also grabbed 4 qts of the 10-30W, and one  of the last cases of the premium 30w. After that, the shelf was just about empty... ;)

Was at FF in Owatonna yesterday on a mission so checked their oil sale quick. The only 10W30 conventional Valvoline I found there was the Daily Protection formulation. Luckily I bought enough of the Premium formulation last year so I should be covered on the Stude for this season. Need to take oil inventory for the mowers tho. Grass is roaring to life so it won't be long until I need to get out the orange mower that came over on the Mayflower. The White came over with Columbus glenn.  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Was at FF in Owatonna yesterday on a mission so checked their oil sale quick. The only 10W30 conventional Valvoline I found there was the Daily Protection formulation. Luckily I bought enough of the Premium formulation last year so I should be covered on the Stude for this season. Need to take oil inventory for the mowers tho. Grass is roaring to life so it won't be long until I need to get out the orange mower that came over on the Mayflower. The White came over with Columbus glenn.  :happy1:
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: your not trickin me!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That wouldn't be hard. Here; pull my finger.   :rotflmao:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A little tech update on the Valvoline product line up: Daily Protection Motor Oil was formerly marketed in North America as Premium Conventional so I can rest a little easier. Daily Protection is da same stuff, it just doesn't sound like it. Apparently trying to get the Premium Conventional labelled product out of the distribution system.    :huh:

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/pi-sheets

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now, if they'd just make it .88 cents a qt again in their SA station stores, where ya could also heat up one of those cool new Chuckwagon sandwiches in the infra-red oven, aka barfbombs, and grab a Slurpee after a hard nite of drinking and cruising broadway...
:doofus:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 04/25/18, 06:08:42 PM by Rebel SS »

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yep, for 10 bucks could buy 5 qts. of Valvoline, a Fram filter, then change the oil on the Gremlin and still have money enough left over for a pitcher at the Terminal Bar! It usually was terminal too... :puke:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Man you guys are old!! :shocked: :evil: :rolleyes:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
And your gettin old......................................FAST! :tut: ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And your gettin old......................................FAST! :tut: ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :confused: :angry2: dont you gotz some projects to tend too???? :sad: :shocked: :mad1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, for 10 bucks could buy 5 qts. of Valvoline, a Fram filter, then change the oil on the Gremlin and still have money enough left over for a pitcher at the Terminal Bar! It usually was terminal too... :puke:

Couldn't beat the .35 cent a glass, .50 for a frosty mug,  or $2.50 for a big pitcher. I remember everyone squawked when we hiked it all .25 cents across the board... :rolleyes:  Ever stop into The Keg out on Hwy 52, behind Ford, Dotch?

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

Ya, and you missed some of the best food the world's ever seen.....like when Pop-tarts came out! O for cool!   :dancinred:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Couldn't beat the .35 cent a glass, .50 for a frosty mug,  or $2.50 for a big pitcher. I remember everyone squawked when we hiked it all .25 cents across the board... :rolleyes:  Ever stop into The Keg out on Hwy 52, behind Ford, Dotch?

I remember when the price went up. 3 bucks was highway robbery! Gas went over $.65! We were running out of fuel and the world was coming to an end. Nope, never had the pleasure of visiting The Keg. Used to stop at Shakey's tho and have a libation while noshing on their pizza. Don't know what was in their crust that tasted different but I liked it. Made me lethal however the next day or even before after that. Make yer eyes water...  :cry:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Ya, and you missed some of the best food the world's ever seen.....like when Pop-tarts came out! O for cool!   :dancinred:
pop tarts?????? yea thats another thing that could disappear and i woundnt miss it. might as well  eat a tablespoon of plain sugar!!!!!!!

well unless of course they have katchup flavor!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :bow:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That's true of just about any breakfast cereal in the 60's....Sugar Smacks, Rice Krinkles, Cap'n Crunch, Quisp, Quake, Sugar Pops.... sugar buzz land.    :party1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
wheat checks!!! 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't you have some oil to mop up or something?  :rolleyes:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
you liked rice check!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a FYI guys, this weeks Shopper up here has Chevron 30 wt. oil for $1.99. Bet it goes fast, so if you want some..................get on it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Chebron for Glenn's Chebby!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  :bonk:  Boy, that IS cheap.... and Chevron is Havoline, and vice-versa. :happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/29/18, 05:44:48 PM by Rebel SS »