Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1993 Polaris starter Bendix  (Read 3451 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Why does my bendix quit working??>>Where the starter spins it and the gear flys forward to engage the fly wheel That thrust just quits I replace it new and soon its the same! Can I rebuild it? I havent tried to take it apart yet to busy.They are cheap at 16 bucks each But I cant see why they go bad.I install new and its fine for maybe 50 60 starts then poof the gear wont move to engage the flywheel it just spins :angry2:

reb ya ever rebuilt one? Heard of the problem? know a fix?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya, more than I ever wanna do again, dew, but not on a sled....but there isn't much difference. Replace the thrust washers, spring, and bushings (If you can). Centrifugal force is what throws the gear out, so if it stops doing that, something you can or can't see is binding somewhere. Is it shimmed? May or may need to be to get proper alignment. One thing I've learned...aftermarket bendix's, not OEM, are usually junk. Sorry, but that's what I've found...they will say China or Brazil on them....how do the teeth on the ring gear/bendix gear look? See any metal filings anywhere? Are the engine mounts and bolts tight? (ie; engine not moving)  That's the best I can come up with, dew.... :confused:

I had a '67 Polar bear (Polara) in high school with the 383 4bbl and automatic in it....every time I hammered it down hard, it would shift itself into neutral (on the shift lever, too!) Finally figgered out it had a cracked motor mount, that allowed the engine to flex, and the exhaust pipe would hit the shift linkage.... :doah:
« Last Edit: April 04/29/18, 05:49:15 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
i see the problem already..................POLARIS!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dang! There's that little squeakin' noise again!!!  ;)  :scratch:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, more than I ever wanna do again, dew, but not on a sled....but there isn't much difference. Replace the thrust washers, spring, and bushings (If you can). Centrifugal force is what throws the gear out, so if it stops doing that, something you can or can't see is binding somewhere. Is it shimmed? May or may need to be to get proper alignment. One thing I've learned...aftermarket bendix's, not OEM, are usually cheap junk. Sorry, but that's what I've found...they will say China or Brazil on them....how do the teeth on the ring gear/bendix gear look? See any metal filings anywhere? Are the engine mounts and bolts tight? (ie; engine not moving)  That's the best I can come up with, dew.... :confused:

I had a '67 Polar bear (Polara) in high school with the 383 4bbl and automatic in it....every time I hammered it down hard, it would shift itself into neutral (on the shift lever, too!) Finally figgered out it had a cracked motor mount, that allowed the engine to flex, and the exhaust pipe would hit the shift linkage.... :doah:
Well reb I have 2 machines that both do the same. Both Polaris 250CC ATV's one the 1993 I mention the other a 1985.Got both to rebuild while I was healing for 3 years.Thing is I just took the bendix off the 85 and the 93 works great,put the 93's on the 85 and its a no go? I have 3 starters and 3 bendix's 2 shot and this one left,Flywheel looks new on both,No metal shavings,no burs nothin lookin bad!! thats why I am stumped! After market bendix shot and the new polaris bendix shot.The one I just put on is old from the 85 machine starter was shot so I saved it and bendix. Got a old feller 35 miles south that has a shop and rebuilds starters and such oldtimer and everything I had him redo hasent failed SOoooo I guess it's to him with a shot starter and 2 bendixes an see what he got to say. In the mean time when I have a few minutes I'll see about disassembly of a bendix.dont really need a ATV right now so I got time.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Let me know if ya find out anything, it's got me stumped. But then, so did trying to open a zip-loc cheese pkg the other day.  :angry: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Let me know if ya find out anything, it's got me stumped. But then, so did trying to open a zip-loc cheese pkg the other day.  :angry: :rotflmao:
well that don't surprise me!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
O shaddup!!  Don't you have to do a tick check??    :moon:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
i see the problem already..................POLARIS!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
AH HAHaha says the guy who cant change a battery on a sled!!!! :confused:
 Oh Ya tell Glenda I found her clutch in my garage,The tan one that matches her pumps

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 Oh Ya tell Glenda I found her clutch in my garage,The tan one that matches her pumps
it was an ATV YA putz. And I could change it, it was figuring out an easier way to put a charger on it. SHEEZ!!; :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

And then we had to tell him what kinda battery to get, and where!!!  :doah:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman

Spray um down with some Gumout to clean them. Then hit them with some dry graphite power.
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Dne that leech.Talked to a local mechanic who gets all my work while I picked up my 2 trailor wheels and new tires.Seeing there is no shimming on these starters and the bendix end goes into a brass bushing on the flywheel cover while the starter is mounted on the bellhousing through bolted.I'm now gonna mic the bushing,I have a service manual and I hope it gives specs for max clearances.
 I'll get it just was hoping for someone's possible fix that seen it before

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dew, have you tried a BFH?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I was a carpenter to long got many rusty ones,They are hid from me I LIKE EM TO MUCH

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was a carpenter to long got many rusty ones,They are hid from me I LIKE EM TO MUCH
that's why his wife switched to cast iron pans..............he hid all her dew attitude hammers!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Dne that leech.Talked to a local mechanic who gets all my work while I picked up my 2 trailor wheels and new tires.Seeing there is no shimming on these starters and the bendix end goes into a brass bushing on the flywheel cover while the starter is mounted on the bellhousing through bolted.I'm now gonna mic the bushing,I have a service manual and I hope it gives specs for max clearances.
 I'll get it just was hoping for someone's possible fix that seen it before

Well the only other thing I can think of.  Stop, stopping so much and just Ride!!  :happy1:
That way you wouldn't wear out the starters shutting the dang thing off so much!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman