Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It's ON  (Read 8319 times)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
First when a few plants sprouted I kept up and ate asparagus every other evening,Then it was every night. When Bobber came out I was happy to give he an his wife a small bag (it was all that was sprouted last Fri Morn) Then I saw multiple plants erupting, bout 18 out of 22?24? plants.This morn after returning from Willmar I asked the ole girl to pick it, started raining So I just picked and am washing.Gonna freeze this batch and from now till July about every other or each 3ed day I will be picking this much each time. Probably over whelm me but I have other seeds by the Asparagus I need to see at least sprout befor I will let the spargus rejuvenate itself an go wild.Heres a pic this aint floating its all asparagus in the sink!! If yer near and stop before its picked you can have that days pickins.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 05/14/18, 07:04:44 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
that is great!!!  I might have to ride down that this weekend!!!!    that is some great eats!!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job dew2, really good stuff, 6 of us had pork sammiches and devoured the asparagus.  If it weren't gonna rain this weekend is be heading back out tgat away ..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Headed that way bright and early to check mine. But I gotta be in St cloud by noon.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I froze some a couple of years ago and it got all muchy.  What do you do when you freeze it? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I froze some a couple of years ago and it got all muchy.  What do you do when you freeze it?
  i just wash it, let it dry stick it in a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer. don't blanche it. its always used up by time the next stuffis ready. i prefer it raw or pickled.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  i just wash it, let it dry stick it in a plastic bag and throw it in the freezer. don't blanche it. its always used up by time the next stuffis ready. i prefer it raw or pickled.
Ditto cept mine goes in a seal a bag and gets cooked frozen dont thaw cook right in seal a bag Dr suss vid oh ask Del

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
went out this morning to my secret patch, only picked about 8-10 spears. also got me some more winter onions!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
went out this morning to my secret patch, only picked about 8-10 spears. also got me some more winter onions!!!!!!
ON TUESDAY?? Man they really over work you down at that hard job???!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ON TUESDAY?? Man they really over work you down at that hard job???!!!!!!!
i have to be in st cloud at noon. to drive 1 hour, office hours start at 8, then leave by 11 to be in st cloud don't pay. lookin out for our members money!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: and with a puter and cell phone..............i cant hide anyway!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

oh and i may take ya up on that first come asparagus, but its gonna be memorial weekend.
« Last Edit: May 05/15/18, 09:45:06 AM by glenn57 »

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow That many!! Must be that green thumb EH????? I got margrets,Peppercinis,an jalapenos flowering along with some early maters Independence and earlygirl Just put cages on em last evening when I picked asparagus.Hope to have real maters in early July,Earliest ever for me has been July 8th Maybe I can beat that date??

On another note with asparagus let me know foresure if yer commin for some aspa,ragus I wont pick for 3 days or so

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Will do.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey dew..........iffin your still willing to give up asparagus..................i'll be going out that way this saturday morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Hectic few days sandys mom fell hit her head an broke a finger I had to wait till Sat to drive just had a eye injection on Fri and its light sensitive. Got there Sat. and Mon or Tues Sandys best friend/cousin died of stroke.Had to stick around awhile.
 Asparagus was 3-4 ft tall yesterday,cut it all off none savable.
 What comes up in the next  3 days you can have I watered it this morn SOOO?? I hope it starts commin through this heat! I'll be here.Just shoveled 1 1/2 yds a compost into the trailor now have to unshovel it today before its to hot!!Another raisedbed ggarden for watermelon,squash,cukes zukes well vining stuff.Thought I'd have the boat water worthy by now NOWAY to much to do!! and that emergency chit!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sorry to hear that Dew2

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
X 2, when it rains it pours
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
cripes dew hope all goes well. i'll be out sat morning to check it out. need to put up some pickled asparagus.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sorry to hear ya hadda go thru all that..... :undecided:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We only have three spots here at our place where they grow.  I am keeping a closer eye on them this year.  Have dozen spears in the frig.  Man they shoot up fast.  May try wrapping some in bacon and cooking on the grill. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We only have three spots here at our place where they grow.  I am keeping a closer eye on them this year.  Have dozen spears in the frig.  Man they shoot up fast.  May try wrapping some in bacon and cooking on the grill.
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: :doah: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
You don't like bacon neither do you Glenn? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You don't like bacon neither do you Glenn?
nope...... like aspargus though!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Thanks for the well wishes! When we get older stuff like that aint no surprise just gotts roll wit da flow.

Plant some LPS iffin ya like it and if you wrap it in bacon cut the bacon strips in 3 pieces length wise  then its not over powered by bacon taste.Thats tasty stuff!!!

OH An 57 got a 1/2 sink for ya as of now

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the well wishes! When we get older stuff like that aint no surprise just gotts roll wit da flow.

Plant some LPS iffin ya like it and if you wrap it in bacon cut the bacon strips in 3 pieces length wise  then its not over powered by bacon taste.Thats tasty stuff!!!

OH An 57 got a 1/2 sink for ya as of now
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: pickled asparagus!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy: :sleazy:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So I have heard that if you want to transplant them you have to dig down 18" to get a big bulb.  Is that true?  I would like to dig up the three patches we have and move them to one spot.  OR as you said Dew plant some.  How hard is that to do?   I have heard that is a many years long process.  Would love to do it and thinking about the best spot for them.  Sunny or shady? 

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
seen it done a long time ago..  dig to the bottom of the roots as best as possible, what I seen was replant them that way..  it seemed to work too!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Once there established they have a hell of a root system. So yea dig and get as much root as possible. I've done it. My step dad bought 2 year old roots and planted them last year and I hear he,s picking. That's how I started with 2 year old Martha Washington plants from Jung's.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Once there established they have a hell of a root system. So yea dig and get as much root as possible. I've done it. My step dad bought 2 year old roots and planted them last year and I hear he,s picking. That's how I started with 2 year old Martha Washington plants from Jung's.
AhHurroundingahaha leave it to 57>>Mary Washington asparagus plants!!!!!!! I got 10 of them and 10 Jersey Knights they produce great.

I wouldnt dig em LPS I'd start new plants either I mentioned above they are for our climate. Have the ones you have to fill the 2 year space of no picking then 3 ed year pick 1/3ed I picked less the third year to make sure they were well established.

For 10 plants ROOTS in full sun
 Dig a trench 18 ft long 14 inches deep 4 inches wide at bottom.Then fill the trench with a mix a manure,dried well! Bone meal and mulch 4 inches deep,Then add 2 inches trench soil.Lay the starter roots in and cover with 8 inches trench soil,next year after they sprouted and in fall fill the trenches even with surrounding soil it'll settle.Then wait an wait for that 3ed and especially 4th year,Man does it come!! Dont have anything that needs sun near by! I made that mistake and my garden its in the east side gets sun only mornings the west side gets sun only afternoon when the east is in shade. Kinda tough to try to plant veggies that need morn sun but not evening and visaversa for the otherside :doofus:
« Last Edit: May 05/25/18, 09:53:21 PM by dew2 »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dew.  I am already picking the spot where I will plant them.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Dew.  I am already picking the spot where I will plant them.
yea the dew guys pretty smart...………...except when it comes to fishing!!!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: