Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ND angler w/e broke record  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
   :reporter; ND angler's walleye breaks 60-year record :doah:

:coffee: .......
BISMARCK — Neal Leier's walleye caught on May 18 broke the longest-standing state record fish in North Dakota, one that stood for nearly 60 years.

The Bismarck angler reeled in a 15-pound, 13-ounce walleye from the Missouri River near Fox Island, besting the old record by one ounce, the state's Game and Fish Department said in a release.

:popcorn: ....
The 32½-inch fish broke the record that was established from Wood Lake in 1959 by Blair Chapman of Minnewaukan

North Dakota Game & Fish Department photo

:Photography:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Interesting story his brother had caught 3 other big walleye over 13 lbs this spring they were using his boat.  They brought their dad along who backed the boat down the ramp the brothers launched, and Dad went to park the boat. Brother turned on electronics and saw a school of walleye just off boat dock. Pulled the boat to shore waiting for Dad to get back and told his brother not a big fisherman to cast a setup jig with white plastic tail ( no minnow).  First cast he thought he had a snag! Till the walleye head shake.   :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well.............it appears this record done got broke!!!!!!! over on IDO theres a post of a 16 lb 9 oz eye caught in the heart river south of mandan. that sucka looks like a pig, gotta be 5 lbs of eggs in that fish.

that heart river happens to run through the boss mans ranch south of mandan. he took me on a tour of his place, that river dont look like it holds much for fish come july but they got spots they do well on it at times.

with the water fluctuation he says it sometimes unearths old buffalo heads. 
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Truly an amazing fishery right now.  The heart river flows into the Missouri just south of town.  This fish was caught right below a low head dam by a shore fisherman!  Probably only 4 miles from where last year's record was caught.  With all of the big fish in the system right now, I would not be surprised to see the record broken again within a year. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
now i read thre's rumor or speculation that fish was actually snagged??????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think those rumors are from the people who own the sparkly $80,000 boats, and think they own the river,  upset that a shore fisherman caught it.  I have been over the bridge where it was caught half a dozen times over the past weekend on my way to/from turkey hunting and there were always at least a dozen trucks parked there fishing.  So I know there were plenty of witnesses at the time and the G&F department investigated and declared it the new record.  That is good enough for me to not cast doubt and negative speculation on the lucky angler who caught it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I think those rumors are from the people who own the sparkly $80,000 boats, and think they own the river,  upset that a shore fisherman caught it.  I have been over the bridge where it was caught half a dozen times over the past weekend on my way to/from turkey hunting and there were always at least a dozen trucks parked there fishing.  So I know there were plenty of witnesses at the time and the G&F department investigated and declared it the new record.  That is good enough for me to not cast doubt and negative speculation on the lucky angler who caught it.
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: yep........hearing that too!!!! jealousy makes people say stupid stuff!!!!!!!

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Congratulations to Tom Volk for reeling in a new state record walleye! On April 21, the Lincoln angler caught the 16-pound, 9-ounce fish from shore along the Heart River in Mandan, besting the old record by three-quarters of a pound that was set last May by Neal Leier of Bismarck while fishing the Missouri River. (Note: 32 and one-half inch was the length.)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
HEY LEE............... dat one puts your pint size ely walleyes to shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
HEY LEE............... dat one puts your pint size ely walleyes to shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :taz: :taz: :taz: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

I'd say sompin nasty but den you'd never get me dat autographed photo of Marie Osmond.
« Last Edit: April 04/23/19, 03:23:27 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Turns out its not a new record.  Bet that guy feels like an idiot after swearing up and down that he caught it legally.

Big Walleye Does Not Qualify as State Record

Mon, 05/13/2019

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department has completed an investigation into the 16-pound, 9-ounce walleye taken April 21 from the Heart River, and based on evidence provided, department officials have concluded the fish was foul-hooked, and therefore cannot be recognized as a state record.

To qualify as a state record, a fish must be harvested in accordance with rules for recreational fishing.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Not that it matters at this point... but I wonder if he ran a treble hook through its mouth after landing it to make it look like he caught it legit.