Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ticks~  (Read 2485 times)

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
All I can say is "WOW" might be the worst year for ticks ever in my area,went out schrooming and checking my patches of "ass grass" and was loaded with these little some beeches,left my dog at home thank god.

One place I never thought about checking for ticks on my pup is his feet...This pic was posted on FB.Now i'm itching like crazy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
PS~ And if your dog eats grass beware!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
permethrin is your friend.  I treat my clothes that I wear in the bush every spring.  Buy it in the farm section or farm store, dilute to 0.5% and spray or soak your clothes.    Let it dry for a day or two before wearing the clothes. 
It is safe for people, and the ticks die before they can bite.    It even kills mosquitoes.   

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
just got done mowing 2 yards and now I seem to itch a little!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  those pic's of the dogs are sad and scary!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
just got done mowing 2 yards and now I seem to itch a little!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  those pic's of the dogs are sad and scary!!!
brush your teeth!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
It's a little known fact that gin kills ticks!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
so does beer they say!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
del,beware with perm,3 years ago the FDA had retailers take the stuff off the shelves,claimed a health hazard,have a friend that owns a sports shop in st paul,he gave me the FYI..

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
There is no doubt you don't want to get that stuff on your skin.  That is why they say spray it on your clothes.

To me it seems to make sense to wear two layers of clothes: one treated, one not.  Otherwise your skin is in contact with the treated fabric.  If contact is deadly to ticks on the outside of the fabric, it can't be good for you touching that same fabric on the inside.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
del,beware with perm,3 years ago the FDA had retailers take the stuff off the shelves,claimed a health hazard,have a friend that owns a sports shop in st paul,he gave me the FYI..

might explain things about Del.........   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: May 05/23/18, 03:16:07 PM by mike89 »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I contracted lymes abkut y yrs ago. Check 1 check twice. Then check again. Never in my life have i wanted to end it, than going thru sysmptoms. Then flair up 3 yrs later was worse.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Doesn't sound good for us guys, I ain't staying indoors!! Might as well wear a serresto collar and get a Lyme shot right along with the pooch.. :confused:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
 Del, is that you?   ;)

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

found the epa statement.  FDA is only for the lice/scabies treatment
https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-109701_1-Aug-09.pdf
...Residential
    All handler scenarios (cancer and non-cancer) assessed were below the Agency’s
LOC.
    The non-cancer post-application risk estimates for adults, youth aged children,
and toddlers exposed to an environment treated with permethrin were below the
Agency’s LOC. All post-application scenarios for adults, youth aged children,
and toddlers were below the Agency’s cancer LOC. However, the combined oral
and dermal exposure for toddlers to indoor broadcast surface spray is below the
Agency’s cancer LOC.
    The Agency considered post-application exposure to both outdoor residential
misting systems and permethrin treated clothing. All scenarios were below the
Agency’s non-cancer and cancer LOCs.
EPA believes that the appropriate way to consider the pharmaceutical use of
permethrin in its risk assessment is to examine the impact that the additional nonoccupational
pesticide exposures would have to a pharmaceutical patient exposed
to a related (or, in some cases, the same) compound. Based on a worse case
scenario assessment, EPA estimates that the permethrin exposure a patient is
expected to receive from a typical single application of a 1% and 5% permethrin
pharmaceutical cream, respectively, is 450 to 2300 times greater than the
combined exposure from the dietary and other non-occupational sources of
permethrin. FDA has reviewed these estimates and determined that pesticide
exposure in patients receiving treatment with a pharmaceutical permethrin drug
product would fall within the expected range of exposure following treatment
with permethrin drug product alone, and would not present an increased safety
risk.
---------------
Also looked at http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html

I'll take my chances.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My Vet started carrying Bravecto or something like that.  Its a Florida thing where ticks and fleas are really bad.  So should work good up here too.  Give your dog a pill every 3 months.  $45 a pill for a 125 lb dog.  Hey Del I should have asked him if people can take them.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   And why the heck can't we????? Maybe Boar will take one and try it out for us.....

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems sort of expensive.  Permthring is like 10 bucks a quart for concentrate.    If it is good enough for our troops, good enough for me. 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
We have always put the stuff on their neck every month.  It is sort of slick for a few days and that is right where you pet them without thinking too.  I don't like touching the stuff.  At least with this pill we won't have that crap to deal with.  This new to MN stuff is supposed to work great.  AND won't wash off if our labs are in the water a lot. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That stuff actually puts a tiny amount of "insecticide" into their bloodstream. Had a girly friend at MAYO that was a Vet there.....got a nice discount on the Frontline I used to use on my pooch.  :whistling: My pooch didn't like the stuff, I think it kinda burned his skin when I'd put the goo on his neck.
« Last Edit: May 05/25/18, 07:03:11 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
This Vet is Dr Busby in Bemidji.  Google him.  He is a hoot.  He has a book that I have given to many friends and relatives.  The Vet Association does not like him.  His book is:  How to Afford Vet Care without Mortgaging the Kids.  Or something like that.  Tells you how the Vets Schools now teach Vets how to charge the hell out of everything they do and how to make you feel guilty if you don't pay big bucks to do things to your pets.  I have saved so much.  Instead of Frontline which is the biggest rip off of all times I get a  bottle of Ivermectin and give my dogs a couple of CC's every month in their mouth.  Costs $28 every two years and that is enough for two dogs.  SAME thing as rip off Frontlines active ingredients.   Get his book or call him and talk to him.  I was just there yesterday getting the Tick stuff.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
It IS a huge rip-off. That's why I got it for what MAYO paid for it. About 1/4 of retail price.....like all drugs.  They go thru a tson of drugs that they use on their research animals. Poor dogs.   :angry:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Me tinks day did research on you to! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :doofus: :crazy: :crazy:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
    :pouty: