Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Poppin' Those Pannies Off On Some Beds  (Read 3028 times)

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
So now that I've gained your attention, we are approaching the most crucial time to put a lot of panfish in the boat and specifically male crappies and sunfish, in addition there are some perch opportunities as well depending on your body of water.  Why is this time so crucial, well many of us know that its prespawn for these fish and specifically those males are setting up bedding areas to attract in females.  Males this time of year are generally bigger and can be a lot of fun to pursue.  While most of us miss this chance because of work and such it is a fun time to play with a variety of plastics.  These can include midges, nymphs, nail tails, and small twister tails.  Colors may vary depending on water clarity.  I like to use a watermelon color for any body of water but that is personal preference.  General rule of thumb is to position in the weeds, pencil reeds are preferred with sand or gravel with a little silt, use a 7'6'' to 8 1/2 ft spinning rod and hold on because these fish will hit and hit often.  As soon as one gets popped another male is waiting to take its place, its that easy and this can be done over a couple of days.  Water temp to target begins around 56 to 58.  Then leading up to 62 degrees is when its prime for the picking.  These pannies stay hot and heavy and will soak your boat full of joy, but keep in mind that its okay to place a few eaters in the box as it helps with natural selection in the lake.  Happy Hookin' and Pop some Pannies!!  :sleazy:
« Last Edit: May 05/22/18, 03:05:51 PM by fishing32wild »

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
So now that I've gained your attention, we are approaching the most crucial time to put a lot of panfish in the boat and specifically male crappies and sunfish, in addition there are some perch opportunities as well depending on your body of water.  Why is this time so crucial, well many of us know that its prespawn for these fish and specifically those males are setting up bedding areas to attract in females.  Males this time of year are generally bigger and can be a lot of fun to pursue.  While most of us miss this chance because of work and such it is a fun time to play with a variety of plastics.  These can include midges, nymphs, nail tails, and small twister tails.  Colors may vary depending on water clarity.  I like to use a watermelon color for any body of water but that is personal preference.  General rule of thumb is to position in the weeds, pencil reeds are preferred with sand or gravel with a line of silt, use a 7'6'' to 8 1/2 ft spinning rod and hold on because these fish will hit and hit often.  As soon as one gets popped another male is waiting to take its place, its that easy and this can be done over a couple of days.  Water temp to target begins around 56 to 58.  Then leading up to 62 degrees is when its prime for the picking.  These pannies stay hot and heavy and will soak your boat full of joy, but keep in mind that its okay to place a few eaters in the box as it helps with natural selection in the lake.  Happy Hookin' and Pop some Pannies!!  :sleazy:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
nice post.............once they hit spawn mode.......i cut them slack and let them do there thing. :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
Totally agree that's why the article was directed at MALE specific fish, setting up the beds, not picking off females laying eggs, doesn't take 11 inch males to fertilize eggs, plus male crappies in nature as well as sunfish can actually be too aggressive and not allow the females in at times.  So this process works and it doesn't hurt populations!!  :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
but wouldnt you want that 10-11 male sunfish to fertilize eggs for the genetics??????? :scratch: not arguing with ya, just pickin your brain!!! :happy1:

just outta curiosity, i clicked on your banner and noticed your address as hutchinson, but your guide service banner says outing???????? i drive thru outing when i head to itasca county!!!

sunfish are my favorite to fish and eat!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishing32wild

• Outdoorsman
I live in Hutchinson and have a cabin in Outing, so I basically guide everywhere in between,  no argument here either.  Genetics are already present in the lake, from my studies of ichthyology at Bemidji State.  Natural selection specifically in Male fish is a crucial part of lakes success rate, while crappies are not as territorial as a sunfish, males during these water temps have two things triggering these territorial insticts.  1st is their nature to spawn, 2nd is their nature to eat during this process.  Therefore, picking off the most aggressive males in a system allows other males to come in and set up these beds and allow successful spawning from females. 

Thanks for the look on facebook, however I am most active on Twitter now as Facebook has broken some privacy issues with my personal account!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Messing up the population is not a genetic thing.   It is an environmental and population dynamics thing from what I have read.   

Keeping a bunch of big gills is a good way to ruin a lake and make it be full of potato chips. 

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to fish panfish out of reed beds with long cane poles.  It was a lot of fun.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
We used to fish panfish out of reed beds with long cane poles.  It was a lot of fun.

And bullheads...my Dad and I used to go over by Faribault to nab 'em.    :azn:
« Last Edit: May 05/24/18, 10:41:38 AM by Rebel SS »