Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 1994 Merc 40 hp trim not working  (Read 5271 times)

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hi guys.  When I google this all I get is changing the trim fluid.  Have done it a few times and have even squirted a lot of it in hoping to flush out bad stuff.  No deal.  I hear the trim motor running and sounds fine???  I got this pontoon boat 2 years ago and it sat for 12 years.  The engine runs great but the tilt and trim gets slower as time goes on.  Now it wont even raise the motor.  I turn the screw that allows you to manually raise the motor and then refill the fluid but no go.  I wonder if the pump is attached to the motor???  Sure doesn't seem to be much of a reservoir to hold fluid.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
The pump could be shot??? The gears Kaput!!!  I had that happen to mine years back, if I remember right it might have been the cylinder.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
So could be the gears in the motor, or the pump is shot, or the cylinder is bad.  Thanks for narrowing it down for me Glenn. 

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Maybe Reb can zero it in more but I'm pretty sure the guy replaced most of mine.  :confused: :scratch: when you get my age and it was beyond yesterday things get foggy!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Lps back then I almost worked on 57s t&t,I didnt feel confident so told him go to his mechanic in New London. :crazy:I can work on them since but explaining and on a Merc is easier this way a link
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+does+a+Mecury+outboard+tilt+and+trim+work&oq=How+does+a+Mecury+outboard+tilt+and+trim+work&aqs=chrome..69i57.31027j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: June 06/09/18, 10:25:37 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Reb can zero it in more but I'm pretty sure the guy replaced most of mine.  :confused: :scratch: when you get my age and it was beyond yesterday things get foggy!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
He did glenn I talked to him long after you had yers fixed>>He said its cheaper to replace than to test all parts the labor in hours is so much more than just replacement and use used parts if available

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
You said it "gets slower over time". That would lead me to believe it's the pump or valve body, fluid bypassing or leaking back from the cylinder due to bad seals or a worn pump or valve body....
That's the most common causes. You can have the pump/valve body rebuilt, or order the complete pump/seals rebuild kit and do it yourself, but sometimes it's cheaper to just chuck the works and get an entire "new" or certified rebuilt unit. Yer probably looking at around $275 or so.....if ya hunt around. :doah:
« Last Edit: June 06/10/18, 06:59:43 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not having much luck.  The only assy I found so far is over $900.  Ouch.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Not having much luck.  The only assy I found so far is over $900.  Ouch.

YOW!!!  :doah:   Maybe take it in and get an estimate, I guess. Keeps us informed...

Barry, try giving TCO a call, just for the heck of it. They have everything.....

http://www.twincityoutboard.com/
« Last Edit: June 06/10/18, 08:00:05 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great option HD.  I will let the local Marine place look at it and give me an estimate and take it from there.  This rebuild place looks like a possibility.  And yes TCO is awesome too.  Never thought of them Rebs.  Thanks to both of you.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We had an old Lund Mr. Pike with a 50 hp Johnson on it years ago that had a lot of the same issues. Knew a guy who worked for the marine dealer over in Clear Lake & he's an ace when it comes to wrenching on just about anything. He told us that it's was easier/better/cheaper just to replace the pump & found us 1 for like $300. We did it ourselves & it was a bit of a pain as it took a few tries to bleed it out right. That was probably 30 yrs ago though as the Lund was a early 70's boat.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
If yer good at wrenchin take the whole unit off,set it on a garage bench and run it see if fluid is comming out With a bit of pressure,check the motor brushes,by pass the solinoids,fill the ram put pressure on it see if it holds or goes down slow goin down is leaky valve.It could be one of many parts just have to eliminate

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I can send the pdf of the service manual if that would help.   

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you remember you sent me that manual right after we met on the other site Del.  I thought that was so generous of you.  That computer conked out so I lost it all.  Actually this is a 1995 Merc 40 hp.  I would love to see the manual again Del.  I will put it on a flash drive.  I may still bring it to the mechanic but would love to see it Del.  Should I message you my email?

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Del I PMed you to see if I could be so lucky as to receive a manual PDF also Thanks in advance

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our local marine place directed me to Tims Outboards in Hackensack.  Called him.  He can check mine out and see if he can fix it or he can sell me a tested used unit for about $450.  That is what the place in Florida rebuilds them for.   :scratch:  I just checked the Florida place and they completely rebuild for $425 and that includes shipping.  Sounding pretty good now.  Five Star Marine in Port Richey,  FL  they have a pretty impressive webpage telling what they do.  They also polish everything so the new seals last longer.  I like the sounds of that.
« Last Edit: June 06/11/18, 08:48:03 AM by LPS »

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds like the way I'd go...for what that's worth. Plus, I bet when ya open the box from Florida, you'll have a card in it that says "Inspected and packed by Bubba".  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/11/18, 09:48:19 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I like Bubba...   lol  Well I have it taken out and will box it up tonight and give to the UPS guy.  Was a bit of a challenge as youtube didn't have my motor so had to figure out as I went but got it.  Thanks for the moral support.