Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: PICKLED FISH RECIEPE  (Read 11002 times)

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
here is a pickled fish reciepe that's really good.

ingredients include...….fish, I use nords...white vinegar, white sugar, onions, pickling salt and pickling spice.

loosely pack fish cut up fish in qt jars. add 5/8 cup pickling salt, fill jar with vinegar. shake rotate jars till salt is dissolved. open jar and top off with more vinegar. keep shaking rotating jars till salt is dissolved.

refrigerate for 5 days mixing up and shaking jar twice each day.

after 5 days remove fish and rinse good. put fish in ice cold water, I add ice cubes, for 1 hour.

I try to squeeze as much water out as possible, layer fish and onions back in jars, loosely is key, until 1/2 full. add 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons pickling spice, 1 bay leaf. crushed red peppers are optional and gives it a zing.

finish layering fish and onion till full. fill with new vinegar. as above shake and rotate till sugar is dissolved, again open jar and top off with vinegar.  shake stir, rotate jars good. refrigerate and shake ets again 2 times per day for next 5 days. about a week later ready to eat.
« Last Edit: June 06/14/18, 11:45:59 AM by glenn57 »
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Id to know how yu are one to be  telli g us a recipe, much less catch a fish for it. :rotflmao:
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Id to know how yu are one to be  telli g us a recipe, much less catch a fish for it. :rotflmao:
training-087 training-087 :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Seems like alot of work Glen,morries does a good job on pickled herring,buy a tube for $10....

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Contrary to popular belief I don't BUY fish. It may sound like a lot of work but it not really. Just some time commitment and a way hell of a lot better tasting then stinky herring.

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Just pokin fun Glen,hard to beat home made pickeled pike,lots of onions is always a good thing in the mix as well.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
MOREYSDid someone say Moreys.Glenn ya hear dat!! :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :confused: :smoking:
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just pokin fun Glen,hard to beat home made pickeled pike,lots of onions is always a good thing in the mix as well.
:happy1: :happy1: never mind that sqeeky guy!!! :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Glenn makes good bluegills..... :azn:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Hes just scavaging out the cleani g house bucket
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Hes just scavaging out the cleani g house bucket

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman

loosely pack fish cut up fish in qt jars. add 5/8 cup pickling spice, fill jar with vinegar. shake rotate jars till salt is dissolved. open jar and top off with more vinegar. keep shaking rotating jars till salt is
[/quote]  5/8 cup pickling spice with vinegar for 5 days  :confused: :confused:. We know what ypu meant  buddy, great recipe especially broke down per jar not per gallon, ill give it a shot after tgis batch is gone :happy1:
« Last Edit: June 06/12/18, 04:19:51 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
5/8 of a cup of spices in each jar???

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
ok i fixed it..........salt...........PICKLIN SALT!!!!!!!!! :doah: guess thats what happens when you try and type more then 5 words a minute!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
ok i fixed it..........salt...........PICKLIN SALT!!!!!!!!! :doah: guess thats what happens when you try and type more then 5 words a minute!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Back in 9th grade typing class, we had to do at least 35 WPM.... :rolleyes:

But I forgot, that's right, you need to update yer gear.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey maybe you could find one of those paint shakers to use.  That would be great!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Back in 9th grade typing class, we had to do at least 35 WPM.... :rolleyes:

But I forgot, that's right, you need to update yer gear.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:confused: :confused: :taz: :taz: :taz:don't you gotta go put some new bailing twine on your Snoopy rod!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Already done!  ;) Ready to slaughter 'em.   :stillfish:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :bump: :bump: here ya go boober!!!!!!!!!!! one key is to not pack the fish to tight into the jars!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Aaah there it is, thanks Glenn!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :happy1: :happy1: its in the :happy1: BBQ thread under the reciepe files!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna give er a try this week Glenn.  Besides white onions, have you ever tried pearl onions? Used to always put them little snappy onions in pickled eggs. Maybe a mix of both.. :scratch:
« Last Edit: February 02/10/20, 05:47:07 PM by Bobberineyes »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gonna give er a try this week Glenn.  Besides white onions, have you ever tried pearl onions? Used to always put them little snappy onions in pickled eggs. Maybe a mix of both.. :scratch:
nope. I've simply pickled pearl onions with this chili peppers in them. There a pain in the butt to clean. Give it a whirl.
I'm on day 2 of my batch!!👍

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: You buy some  :fish2:? ;) :rotflmao: Don't think I heard anything  :confused:'bout you catchin any Saturday? :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: You buy some  :fish2:? ;) :rotflmao: Don't think I heard anything  :confused:'bout you catchin any Saturday? :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:
:tut: :tut: :tut: :tut: BITE ME!!!!!!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I had some in the freezer.......probably from sand lake......helping the DNR. i did see some Y-bones in there so also probably some from BIG fish!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: :happy1:
« Last Edit: February 02/11/20, 08:42:44 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
last week i had both our secretaries asking about them too!!!!!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
what the Y bones???    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
what the Y bones???    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:pouty: :pouty: you 2 clowns need to get out more!!!!!!!!! :mooning: :mooning: yea the Y-bones. iffin ya could ever catch big enough fish you'd know who to do that!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

dont pay unless the fish is 5 lbs or bigger. my wife is spoiled now so............... when you take portion of the fish that has the Y-bone in it  out, there's plenty of fish/meat around the Y-bone. the way i do it anyway. waste not want not....i pickle that part!!!!!!!! people i share my pickled pike have no idea how many of those pieces they eat!!!!!!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :evil: :happy1: :happy1: