Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Home page article  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Anyone have input on this paragraph from the home page Bluegill article? I disagree with it, except for the tungsten ice jigs, which I use for a lot of pannies.  You're blowing any action of your jig by adding split shot right on top of it. That's why leadhead jigs come in different size heads. Finicky fish can sometimes be coaxed by good jig action, not a dead weight...if you can't feel the action or bite, you need to change line or rod action or weight for the size fish you are after.  JMO.  :fish2:

Paragraph:

You can also just add weight to your line directly above
your lure right above the eye of the hook. This gives you the best connection to the lure by allowing you to feel what's happening to your jig. With the weight up away from your jig, the fish can swim sideways with your lure and spit it out before you even notice a bite. Then you end up with a bait-free lure.
« Last Edit: June 06/30/18, 07:52:56 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Well, yes and no. One lake in particular I fish and there finicky and bite lite ya need a split shot. Your fishing this lake for gills in 15- 20 ft of water. I use strickly flu flu type jigs. It take forever to get down. Smaller fish have a tendency to grab on a slow decline. Even at the cabin lake you need  to quickly get closer to the bottom to bypass them little fish.

Now I'm not saying right above the hook, I like to put the sinker about 6 inches above. If to there that finicky, they can pizz off!! :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
                   :shocked:       :fish2:
« Last Edit: June 06/30/18, 07:52:18 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
                   :shocked:       :fish2:
:pouty: :mooning: I threw back more sunfish then you caught! :sleazy: :sleazy: :smoking: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
That WAS saying it sounds like ya DO know SOMETHING about pannies, but now I'm not sure..... :mooning:

:fish2:

:fish2:  :fish2:
« Last Edit: June 06/30/18, 08:44:36 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I use jigs and bobbers early in the season but then switch to beetle spins later. Just something about casting and letting it sink along weed edges and reeling slow is a hoot. Not to mention no live bait needed and usually it's mainly aggressive nicer sized sunnies and crappiies mixed in. Sometimes just a jig and tail works just as well.