Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Musky Tip # 1 by K.O.W.  (Read 4488 times)

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
First of all the KOW is Kanabec Ottertail Wadena the counties I spend the most time hunting and fishing in. Ok, so I'm not going to take 30 years of musky experience to my coffin and not share (sorry Ted Roos no disrespect). Every Randy Moss blue moon I will give you a sound musky tip that is true. Here we go. Water temps have been near 80 for awhile. You might hear by a big shot like Joe Bucher topwater time etc well that's partially true. If you're on big water and or cooler water temps sure thing Joe. If you are on a 1,800 acre pond with 78 degree or warmer water put that topwater away, my experience says overall the muskies do not like to be in that super warm surface temp type water. In those conditions tie on a bucktail that has some weight and retrieve it quickly at low light if you can handle the mosquitos for a bit that's usually when you'll get that strike. Muskies aren't dumb. When you get to that 1/3rd of your retrieve back to the boat make darn sure you do something with that lure. Flare the hair, pump speed it up some, keep rod tip low so the lure is deeper a bit and make a quality L turn out there some so you can see the fish as light wanes. This tip remember doesn't apply to June Muskie in Mn unless we've had a really warm spring let your temp gauge tell you what to do seasonally. Could you catch a dandy topwater 80 degree water I suppose sure but man unless you're on large Mille lacs type water or leech or the woods idk, if you're on a central MN musky water and its pea soup fish deeper they're likely deep in the cabbage anyway from pleasure boaters and or oxygen related shade etc tip 2 idk when lol. Might have been a few tips in there.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So no action on Tip 1 I suppose many are out fishing Muskies. It's the time of the year I would go orange or chartreuse bucktail, August that is generally. Now, these fish have seen tons of baits this Summer, it's a speed game and or its fish at night. If I could I'd only fish at night in August every year because of what takes place on these waters during the day. Now of course if you're getting ideal daytime musky conditions forget the night burning midnight oil, if it's hot sunny a ton night fish, your not going to set no world on fire in soupy warm musky water they won't come up into that top 4 feet of heated juice, plus they're so conditioned by now anyways. It's a low low low light deal. That's it for now, everyone always wants to know your biggest well it's 54 3/4" and I wish I could remeasure her but her safety won out but whatever she was a horse and fish # 4 that day. Good luck ! August by the way was always my toughest month by far except the night bite was always best in August

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
PS. The reference to topwater time Joe Bucher well I found some of those and the main video I recalled and saw they were on the Mississippi River well yes I think topwater would do just fine all season up to Halloween on that river sure thing but steamy lakes I say no deal and in that video of topwater they had a feeder stream entering the Mississippi wooded so cooled water entering well da but do not take that to the lake you must watch these videos with a grain of salt, stained rivers vs lakes are a totally different beast but if I didn't know better the title said summer topwater time or something well not if the water is too warm they don't mention that it's like hitting curve balls or sliders etc you have to adjust your game and a 1 size video fits all is not the case. If anything they can lead you astray. Get your boat equipment all of that to 100% then it's just fishing and using your experiences to drill em. Next ? I get is how many boated and I don't know exactly but after # 400 hit my boat we (my main boat partner) lost track a couple years back it just doesn't matter anymore only 7 fish over 50" but I've never fished vermilion Mille lacs cass leech the Mississippi big DL etc spend a lot of time on smaller water hence why I know the topwater warm water theory, good luck ! Tip guy if you don't have a sharp hook that you're casting you are wasting your time musky fishing.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Tip. Tenex elbow surgery guy here and musky fishing is likely why. I fished hard in my 20's man plus baseball ouch so I'd say no fish is worth surgery but if any is it's the musky :) !!! By my late 30's I couldn't squeeze a tube of toothpaste so I paid for those 275 fish I caught out of the 400 roughly. If your shoulder (next is my shoulder surgery) elbow etc listen to your body some or honestly lift some weights or prep yourself a little better as you get older sure the new reels and rods make it somewhat easier on the angler but this leads into tip #idk use smaller lures you can burn in better, my last 52.5" was a small bucktail with razor sharp hooks, if Muskies could talk you'd ask her if I had a double 10 on would you have bit also ? :) we don't get that info lol

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Tip time. So how has calm August been 2018 ? Can't be any floating vegetation wrecking some casts ? It's been deadness I would guess as I haven't gone out in a month. August set in so its night fishing until the next good front whacks us and or if somehow you could get a cloudy some wind type of day. Here's your tip to save you a trip and time and gas etc. OK do your night run if possible after a windy type day where it dies off nicely currently near that 9pm or so as like a zamboni it will blow the floating weeds to a shore making your casts come in clean. If you have a calmish type day and the pontoon PWC water skis etc r out in force it's why you night fish but the weed pile floating on many medium to smaller lakes will leave you wishing for your pillow. Remedy that if you wish by hitting leech Mille lacs cass etc a bigger water if the day is calmer and way less vegetation on top as you won't need to be in a bay to fish in August in MN. Picking gnarly weeds out of your lures in the dark plus bugs when your headlamp goes on. We didn't even hit the bug issue generally you get late enough and they will simmer down if or when that temp hits a certain point. Last tip there were nights when having your net free and very handy was necessary in a way, we would have like a 5 fish night and every strike was L turn at boatside and some we had to just short leash net em and every tool handy we had a good solid system you got to want to protect the fish the best you can because they're the future horses so to speak. Good luck !

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Canadian fires. My records show past years with that haze actually being or landing more fish then without it but far from scientific as maybe went more or less but it must cut some light off and heat on the angler. Keep an eye on water temps. As soon as you see a legit 75 or lower get that topwater out again. Here's your MN tip. Walk that dog and not too fast. Leave it side to siding in the strike zone as long as you can. In line buzzers etc save them for Canada Wisconsin and rivers. Stocked leech lake strain in my book do not like in line topwater much, the dog walking is $. Last tip is maybe you should hit your spots round 1 with bucktails one guy moving a smaller one fast other guy maybe a slower double and like me you are going to re-hit your favorite spots anyway so then round 2 slow down if round 1 wasn't active, now walk the dog and bucktail. However localized weather trumps everything and can ruin it all or make for wild activity, get the seasonal patterns figured out a bit more and I want to go less catch more, don't we all lol

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Big fish, big lure.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 08/19/18, 08:43:02 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Big Fish Big Lure depends lol. I think as bait gets eaten up all summer long the prey for Muskies also gets bigger I would think and the hiding places for smaller stuff grows literally in weedbeds and places they can finally escape into. I personally know I guess knew Ted Roos. He guided Cass Lake for many years before guides existed and the fish he boated on small small bucktails was crazy then again they weren't making the big blades back then but he fished small bucktails up until he passed away. He lived on Buck Lake connects to Cass and he likely never played the night musky game, didn't need to on that deep clear lake however I think it would be a great one for night fishing. Hmm. Tip # idk is more answering how to not ruin your musky fishing career. Don't get a DWI. New law August 1st say not only goodbye to driving a vehicle but side by sides atvs snowmobiles and I believe that very boat you need to musky fish in. No motorized nothing I think ??? If wrong please correct me. I know a fishing guide just received a 3rd degree DUI so is that game over for him ? If not it's a certain game changer. Be smart out there. Us musky guys know we can't drink out there as we stand and cast and cast etc and for reasons mentioned above but don't forget at the bar, etc could affect other vehicle driving as well. Fill your musky spool up good, you will pick up max line per handle turn max it out, you need to burn that bucktail in the days ahead hearing the forecast.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ok things are changing, get the top waters wet again, keep an eye on the forecast and shallow topwater September isn't too far away, some of those basin fish will move into a more vulnerable spot for seeing baits but timing is everything usually as these horses have been handled before a few times in their careers. Topwater for sure now the lakes must be cooling some and with tons of rain in places so it's easy on the angler for one boat guy anyway. Good luck,  sharpen that hook lazor it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Little Alan's law. DWI means you aren't driving any motorized vehicle.

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/2018/07/31/new-dwi-law-goes-into-effect-aug-1/

Fastest yer gonna go on the water after a DWI.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/29/18, 06:44:35 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That's what I thought rebel. Now that I look a little more often I sure do see plenty of whiskey plates. Be a drunk Hunter shooting someone and next DUI = lost privileges there who knows. Musky talk I love it. My tackle box is likely worth 3K lol that's insane really. So tip today is don't do what I did. Load up on your proven baits and some slight variations of the same baits and screw the rest. At $30 a piece or whatever don't stray buy your proven lures. I have tons of the same top waters, bucktails, and 1 soft plastic in particular but not sharing that lure just yet. I have some oddballs in there a suick that is deadly, a sub walk, etc. The stuff that gets drilled when the fish are going a bit or if you have a pattern going and figured out on a certain lake. One recent summer man from 3:00-3:30 was a certain strike on a certain spot and by a good fish or 3. There's a tip don't waste time. That window might be short so get on them. CPR that one and drill another before the window closes and celebrate a bit later. Maximize your opportunity. We know periods of slow fishing are more the norm So be focused and sharp especially if you connect or get a few follows that seem increasingly interested. The sharp as ever hook will bail you out sometimes when your not quit as tuned in after you release her you can lie and say you were ready lol. Alright last % point tip it's what it is you put all these little details and pieces to the puzzle together and make the right decisions to maximize your %'s. This tip idk why but in my boat we've done far far better using wire leaders VS fluorocarbon and I can't figure that out. I know others will swear by fluorocarbon. I have no idea we had such a drought maybe it was just faith. Line go 80 pound braid in green use backing and as it fades toward white unspool to backing and wind it back on from that true green burying the faded whiteish colored line and having fresh stuff again u get 2 uses that way and it's expensive I go tuf line but hey I do not endorse any lines lures whatever there's many great lines out there and I've used many there's only been 1 kind to fail me badly lost 3 fish etc anyway good night !!!

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Ok topwater the next 10 day period, if you have clouds topwater etc. The Summer peak is over it appears it could reappear somewhat for a stretch but the forecast is fall like to a degree. So topwater, bucktail you can mix rubber in there. Retrieve speed figure that out fast medium slow try it all now. These fronts etc shouldn't hurt the daytime angler too much pending is their that crisp N or NW wind following. Tip tonight is maybe re-grease your axles etc motor take a look at your tires and under your boat give it a full inspection, go find green weeds ideally cabbage, rocks if some wind or clouds and keep that fish down or try to as you fight her. Good luck !

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This front is a game changer. I'd hang on a few days with more summer like weather coming but here's where you will start to slowly notice boat #'s fading midweek especially football school etc exactly what guides can't wait for. I have fished with 4 different guides one twice. None of them caught a fish. I caught a 44" and a few small ones under 40" so it was not what my perception was. So that's 2K for ??? Didn't learn much. The best part was to ask them very specific ?'s and only about MN fish etc and that's where some of that 2K paid off just in confirming or getting maybe their honest take. So, there can still be some good night musky ahead yet also as its a good way to dupe a monster especially if you're fishing hard and seeing some and mostly lethargic big bonus is getting dark much sooner so by midnight anymore you should have 2 minimum or go. Look for summer like weather pattern of that comes then night program otherwise there will be mid day Windows starting to come your way soon, get topwater in shallow. Those sharp breaks also. One thing too are you fishing a tullibee or whitefish lake ? If so that spawn is up ahead and dial in on areas that is taking place. If not topwater the day lights out of those lakes that don't have them my general rule is clear water = white belly topwater, the stained or just not that clear go orange bellies. If you know your lake already go with that lure lol !!  Tip is some lakes a certain colored topwater or bucktail might get you bit more but it's always hard to say because we run our favorites and keep them wet the most so be thinking out there and good luck !

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So u boys chuck in meat yet ? Your more on your own now football coach guy got no time to fish em. I would think topwater meat soft plastics in white or blue sheen but would imagine the main breaks watch for lake whiteys or tullibees I guess and some Giants will be near. Good luck would think short aggressive Windows but green weeds r $ up until they get funky good luck tip is most days now until seasons end should be hooked up days it's just how many.

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Final 2018 report. You can't catch them all. The mental part of the game. Don't let these fish beat you up too bad. I truly think winter is a good thing. It's fair, no 1 can target them unless I guess you run tip ups etc but whatever I need/needed the breather from it financially a bit as well. It's what makes next June great. Throw meat out there bulldawgs other plastics also. Now is not the time to take a swim you must be safer now then we were July 15th as far as water temps being a factor. Best of luck now is the time until November 30th to catch that thick shouldered giant just like bucks are looking better each day so are the bodies on the Muskies and every critter for that matter. Raccoons Bears Etc putting it on now. 30.06 dialing that in tomorrow it should be on. Good luck see ya in 2019 !

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not a musky tip but a deer tip. Don't overlook muzzleloader season. I'm seeing way more deer then compared to a 16 day rifle season. The deer finally are patterning a little at least and coming out especially if weather gets them up. I finally connected tonight after 36 sits AM and PM. Nothing tremendous but solid see the deer rut activity and will be posting a photo their fairly soon. Don't give up depends on your situation. I have 2 main stands plus 5 others in 2 other counties but this is where I live. I had 20 or more bucks on trail camera randomly since July 15. Rifle comes and goes nothing on my camera to my knowledge was killed. Shooting was minimal I was out etc also but that means they are out there we have standing corn everywhere a section that goes unhunted full of corn and river bottom crp willow etc finally. Man what a battle. It's like musky fishing in a way if you've been in a slump or recently lost a horse. You wonder when will I where will I have that chance at a 50+ incher when again ? I do hold 1 mighty secret spot in Minnesota where I have caught Giants on opening day it's worth $800 bucks to me I've stuck some horses in the net and there isn't another boat anywhere to be seen. It's scary casting this area you need to be extremely ready. This spot is worth 10x what paying a guide for info is worth. I've seen hundreds of 45+ inch fish on this spot for years and years and I see nobody even still today which blows my mind. I'm going to auction that spot off so if you want a killer opening weekend lets call it spot you best get ahold of me. How legit well if I showed you a map and filled you in on why where when etc I guarantee you would not question this a bit. It must not be too big s secret of why am I not seeing boats certainly some come by later or here there but I've already released em. Decent buck tonight wow man my third ever December buck with a muzzy. You want that secret you should want it. Screw the guides buy this spot.

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
ive done some ski fishing years ago, then family came along and priorities changed, ive never hooked one. id love to. ill start the bidding at 100 bucks for opening day.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline K.O.W.

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Lol cool Boar. It is an absolute incredible spot takes a good hour to fish it thoroughly but you have to re fish it etc they are there no doubt. Are they ready to feed or not etc is the question but man there's large Muskies year after year but you'd have to follow my advice 100% for it to work for you also. Whoever wins likely we'd see each other maybe some years but I'm kinda fading away I have 3K in lures idk what to do with brand new Calcutta B on a shimano collecting dust never used boy idk. I'd certainly share the 2 lure types and colors that produced some of my giants and is likely share a monster I caught there with the background of that photo that would cement this spot that this isn't some clown messing around that's not the case. Saw a loon killed on this location by a Muskie it the spot actually has massive fish all season likely fall monsters also I would think I'm football coach goose Hunter so I've never tried it. Wrap those presents 19 days to xmas

Online Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
awzome, ill bump to 125.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"