Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Black bear mauled hunter  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Bow hunter severely mauled by black bear in California

A :archery: hunter is recovering after authorities say he was severely mauled by a black bear that he had wounded with an arrow in the Banning Canyon area of Riverside County.
Three people were hunting together Friday at about 7 p.m. when one of the hunters shot a bear with an arrow.

:popcorn: .....
 When the man approached the wounded bear, it attacked him, California Department of Fish and Wildlife Capt. Patrick Foy said Tuesday.
The man suffered severe injuries to his upper torso, face and arms and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

While bear attacks on humans are extremely rare, Foy said, animals can become aggressive :taz: if they're wounded or feel threatened.

"It's something that we learn at the very beginning of hunter education: After you shoot an animal and approach it, you need to be very careful," he said. "They teach you to be prepared with a follow-up shot in case the animal runs or is suffering needlessly."

The bear died of its wounds and was taken to a lab to be studied. It was unclear how large the bear was, but experts say adult black bears can weigh between 100 and 500 pounds depending on the season and the animal's age and sex. Standing upright on their hind legs, black bears can approach 6 feet tall.

Archery bear hunting season in California runs from Aug. 18 through Sept. 9. Hunters are required to obtain a license and a bear tag. According to state rules, a maximum of 1,700 bears can be taken during hunting season in California. So far, 24 bears have been killed by hunters in California this year, according to Department of Fish and Wildlife data.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 08/30/18, 02:16:38 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, that is all part of the fun isn't it?  Can get kind of scary hunting bears at times.  Especially at dark. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Serves the guy right. Aim better. Grin and BEAR it.   :green archer:
« Last Edit: August 08/30/18, 09:09:40 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, that is all part of the fun isn't it?  Can get kind of scary hunting bears at times.  Especially at dark.
I will second that.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
its why I shoot bears wit 220 grain bullets!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
For as much of a thrill it would be to take a bear with a bow, I think I'd want to have a largish backup piece for the walk-up.

Short of sending an insurance arrow into a downed bear's chest from a distance, I can't think of any other scenario where being ready with a bow for a follow-up shot with a bow would be anything more than a "Hail Mary" if that animal decided to get up after you.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Save the last arrow for yerself.  :doah:

Online Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
I always used an .06 for Bears.  If you are going to shoot twigs at Bears.   :crazy:
Give them enough time to bleed out and die like this one finally did!  :coffee:
« Last Edit: August 08/30/18, 11:35:52 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya! What he said!  :happy1:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Damn, I was just planning on using a bow this year.  May have to rethink that. Especially after my encounter today.  Bear scared the crap scared out of me today.  Story in another thread.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Use a bow deadeye follow up with shotgun with slug if ya gota track.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I am planning to use a bow this year also. But my trusty 44 will be right there with me.
Hey look your bobber is up!