Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: 3/4 inch bolt no match for rock  (Read 1821 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
On Wednesday I was using the Swisher to clear trails when I hit a rock.  It  was a perfect hit on the bolt holding the swinging blade and rather than bounce over it, the head caught a ridge on the rock and snapped the bolt.  You can imagine how the off balance mower jumped around until I got it shut off.  I did this once before about 5 years ago.  This is one reason we have two brush mowers.  I went back to camp Near and Deer and got the DR brush mower to continue mowing without losing a half day for repairs.   

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Can ya step up to a higher grade bolt? Like a grade 8? Maybe it already is....just a suggestion. I've done that on various high-stress bolts in the past.

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
On Wednesday I was using the Swisher to clear trails when I hit a rock.  It  was a perfect hit on the bolt holding the swinging blade and rather than bounce over it, the head caught a ridge on the rock and snapped the bolt.  You can imagine how the off balance mower jumped around until I got it shut off.  I did this once before about 5 years ago.  This is one reason we have two brush mowers.  I went back to camp Near and Deer and got the DR brush mower to continue mowing without losing a half day for repairs.   

Dang, I bet you thought a Bear had snuck up on yea!   :laughroll:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I can see two of the grade marks on the broken bolt.  They are too close to be a grade three so I'm pretty sure the one that snapped is a grade 8.  I'm glad it snapped rather than bent.  It could be a real bitch getting out a bent 3/4 bolt.   :rotflmao:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Depending on who engineered it, that maybe in the design to be a sacrifice. If you go to a harder bolt, you may do more damage, that may cost more to repair.

Just a thought......
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's a good point. Reminds me of my old fishing buddy, who replaced a shear pin on his boat prop with a solid small bolt. He nailed a rocky shoal later that year.....I'll stop there.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Depending on who engineered it, that maybe in the design to be a sacrifice. If you go to a harder bolt, you may do more damage, that may cost more to repair.

Just a thought......
pretty much my thinking.its wht some of them a considered shear pins!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Subbed some soft bolts in for shear pins on blower augers many times. :happy1: Soft bolts = on hand & 4/ .25, OEM shear pins = not on hand & 4/$5 :bonk:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon