Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minnesota Viking Updates  (Read 54616 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
from spicer mn...........wowzer...............thats just down the road a bit from me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mikey too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll warn them.  ;)

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Former Concordia, CFL standout signs with Vikings.
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings have signed coveted Canadian Football League receiver Brandon Zylstra, a former standout at Concordia, to a reserve/future contract.

The Spicer, Minn., native finished with 1,932 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns in 29 career games with the Cobbers.

Great... Now all next year we can hear about how the Vikings have two local undrafted free agent receivers that went to small Minnesota colleges.

Did you also know that Adam Thielen is from Detroit Lakes and went to college at Minnesota State Mankato?

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
sounds like it really could be a good thing!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Former Concordia, CFL standout signs with Vikings.
MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings have signed coveted Canadian Football League receiver Brandon Zylstra, a former standout at Concordia, to a reserve/future contract.

The Spicer, Minn., native finished with 1,932 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns in 29 career games with the Cobbers.

Great... Now all next year we can hear about how the Vikings have two local undrafted free agent receivers that went to small Minnesota colleges.

Did you also know that Adam Thielen is from Detroit Lakes and went to college at Minnesota State Mankato?
well Steve-o..............did you know that Eric Decker was once my neighbor??????????? :sleazy: :sleazy: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe they can coach this Brandon Zylstra guy up to be a serviceable NFL receiver.

If I was Laquon Treadwell, I'd be worried.  If Treadwell goes another offseason without being able to figure out what Zim wants from him or if Spielman can snooker another team into taking him - he gone.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is fantastic.  I am excited to see this guy in action. 

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
What a game last night!!!  Thought they were going to roll the Saints but through mistakes they came back and nearly took the game.  The Vikings are a tough team and do not give up like in the past.  Zimmer was right that there is no curse, only in our minds.  It was only one play a few times that took us out of the playoffs.  Like last years missed field goal in the last seconds by Walsh.  That was painful.  So this time around it was one play in the last 10 seconds that won it for us.  Eagles next Sunday SKOL!!  good luck.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Was kinda wonderin why they didn't blitz more? :scratch: Especially the 2nd half after they started comin back & Brees was gettin hot. It sounded like Aikman was a little surprised, a couple times too, when they played coverage over pressure. :confused:They won so............ don't really care now but.....................
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe Zim was reluctant to call blitz with Sendejo out of the game for fear of getting burned by an underneath throw by Brees.

I hope Sendejo will be back for the Eagles.

I'm sure Zim won't release an injury report until the last minute, but did anyone notice anyone else leave the game and not come back?

What about Tom Johnson?

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I love the fact that that last play was a perfectly exicuted pass touchdown, no goofy rogers hailmarry into the endzone and get lucky one of his player caught it. They earned that win.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I se the OC Pat S. is going to the Giants....
« Last Edit: January 01/15/18, 03:14:27 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Hate to lose Shurmur, or any key member of this Vikings team, but at least he isn't going to the Lions or da Bears.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
What really happend to the saints defense

[attachment deleted by admin]
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Forgot Sendejo was out. Pretty sure I seen Johnson back in there at the end of the game. Thought I heard 1 of the announcers last weekend say the NE OC was going to the Lions. As for the NO defense, they were told NO PENALTIES as they figured we wouldn't be able to score & time would run out. So the only way, they thought, they could lose was if there was a defensive penalty in order to give the Vikings a extra play to kick the winning FG. The DB was there a bit early & afraid he was going to get a penalty called on him, so went for the tackle & whiffed :applause:
« Last Edit: January 01/16/18, 07:50:24 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man this stinks, i just read on MSN,s homepage that Chris Doleman had brain surgery and is dealing with brain cancer!!!!!!! :confused: :confused:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
That sucks! Parents had some close friends who had to deal with that, it was very hard.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I know, posted this in another thread yday, but for those who didn't see....

Sherels Signs with Vikings

By Pat Lund, Sports DirectorCONNECT
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 5:02 PM CDT

(KTTC) -Rochester

Rochester fans still get to cheer on a local star, Marcus Sherels has signed a one-year deal to remain with the Minnesota Vikings. Sherels will be entering his ninth season with the Vikings it will be his sixth different contract with the team as an undrafted free agent coming out of the University of Minnesota.
    Reports on social media last weekend had Sherels headed for the Carolina Panthers but those were quickly retracted.
    Sherels is the Vikings all-time leader in punt return yards with 2-thousand-171, he returned a league high 39-punts for 372-yards last season posting a nine-point-five yard average.
    He's considered a core special teams player while making tackles and also returning kickoffs.
    The 30-year old Sherels is one of the teams longest-tenured players on the roster.The Vikings like his sure-handedness and reliability, he rarely makes a mistake which is key on special teams.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, I know, posted this in another thread yday, but for those who didn't see....

Sherels Signs with Vikings

By Pat Lund, Sports DirectorCONNECT
Posted: Mar 28, 2018 5:02 PM CDT

(KTTC) -Rochester

Rochester fans still get to cheer on a local star, Marcus Sherels has signed a one-year deal to remain with the Minnesota Vikings. Sherels will be entering his ninth season with the Vikings it will be his sixth different contract with the team as an undrafted free agent coming out of the University of Minnesota.
    Reports on social media last weekend had Sherels headed for the Carolina Panthers but those were quickly retracted.
    Sherels is the Vikings all-time leader in punt return yards with 2-thousand-171, he returned a league high 39-punts for 372-yards last season posting a nine-point-five yard average.
    He's considered a core special teams player while making tackles and also returning kickoffs.
    The 30-year old Sherels is one of the teams longest-tenured players on the roster.The Vikings like his sure-handedness and reliability, he rarely makes a mistake which is key on special teams.
:pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :mooning: :mooning:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

:confused:

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
          Was Kirk Cousins worth it? :scratch:

:confused: ......
This is perhaps one of the biggest questions facing any team this coming season. The Vikings temporarily made Cousins the highest-paid quarterback in the league, and the contract he signed was fully guaranteed, which was unprecedented. In the process of bringing Cousins on board, Minnesota dumped all three of its quarterbacks from 2017 — Sam Bradford, Case Keenum and Teddy Bridgewater — and brought in failed starter Trevor Siemian to be his backup. Needless to say, there’s a lot riding on Cousins this year, as Minnesota has a championship-caliber roster everywhere else. If he lives up to the contract he signed, then great. If not, then the Vikings will be left scratching their heads  :scratch: wondering where it all went wrong. :confused:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it is going to be a great Vikings season. 

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 Vikings rookie Mata'afa suffers season-ending knee injury. :banghead:

:pouty: ........
MINNEAPOLIS—Vikings undrafted rookie defensive end Hercules Mata'afa suffered a torn ACL on Wednesday when he was injured without contact on a kickoff in a practice during organized team activities.

He will be placed on injured reserve and miss the entire season.

Mata'afa's agent, Kenny Zuckerman, said Mata'afa was very distraught after suffering the injury, but that he felt better later in the day.

He took to Instagram and wrote that he will "make the Skol nation proud in the near future!''

"He called me crying (after suffering the injury),'' Zuckerman said.  :cry:

"I think he just thought (at first), 'Oh, now they're going to send me on a plane home tomorrow.' ... But I talked to Rick (Spielman, the general manager) and I talked to George (Paton, the assistant general manager). They really like him and they plan to keep him there in the building (during rehab) and he'll get ready for next season.''

As far as ACL tears go, Zuckerman said Mata'afa's was much less severe than many.

"It's a bad injury, but it's the best of the worse,'' Zuckerman said. "I mean, it's still an ACL tear, but he'll come back sooner than 90 percent of most ACLs.''

Zuckerman said Vikings medical officials are waiting for the swelling to go down and details for surgery have not yet been established. Mata'afa, a defensive lineman at Washington State, was expected to be drafted in April.

When he wasn't, the Vikings quickly offered him a free-agent deal.

Mata'afa was initially looked at as a linebacker. He was moved last week to defensive end.

"I think he was on his way to being on the roster,'' Zuckerman said. "Everybody I talked to (on the Vikings) said he's just been a real pleasant surprise. I think they were shocked by his quickness and short-area burst.''

Spielman declined comment on Mata'afa's injury. Mata'afa was unavailable for comment, but addressed his injury on Instagram.

"I'm really happy with the support of (the) Vikings at this moment,'' he wrote. "They made my day when it started off dark and cold. I'm glad free agency and God brought me here! Thanks to everyone else as well for the kind words. I will make the Skol nation proud in the near future!''

Spielman lauds Cousins' leadership:

Spielman had plenty of praise Wednesday for quarterback Kirk Cousins, who signed a fully guaranteed three-year, $84 million contract in March.

"He's a phenomenal leader,'' Spielman said at a Vikings charity golf event. "The players have really gravitated to him. The one thing I know, we haven't been able to stabilize the quarterback position, whether it would be my fault, I missed on a guy, or we had some significant injuries. ... Hopefully, this will solidify ourselves.''

Spielman missed on Christian Ponder with the No. 12 pick in the 2011 draft. The Vikings had injury issues with Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford.

Spielman joked about Cousins agreeing to come to Minnesota.

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Vikings plan a team approach to anthem.  :scratch:

6/16/18

:reporter;
In more than three weeks since the NFL enacted a new anthem policy that managed to cause more problems than it solved, teams and owners and league officials generally have managed to keep their heads low and their mouths shut on the topic.

For the Vikings, the subject became unavoidable on Friday, because the team publicly cut the ribbon on its
swanky new training facility.
Via the Minneapolis Star Tribune, owner Mark Wilf expressed support for the new anthem policy, and he explained that the organization remains on the same page.
“Whatever we do, we’re going to do as a team,” Mark Wilf said. “That involves working on social justice issues, hearing from the players and really partnering with them. We’ve been in the process of having those conversations to do some great things in the community as they have done for many years, but more focused on some of the social justice issues that are of concern to them. We look forward to advancing some of the great things we do in the community.”

The inescapable message is that the Vikings will stand for the anthem as a team. Reinforcing that message are recent comments from coach Mike Zimmer, who (as he usually does) made his position clear.

“I think it’s important we stand for the anthem,” Zimmer said at the time. “A lot of people have died for that flag. That flag represents our country and what we stand for.”
“Our players are very respectful — and our ownership, our organization, our franchise — of the military and what that flag means,” Wilf said Friday. “I can tell you as a son of immigrants I think it’s very important for our ownership. I think we all understand that. We’re in a good place on all this and we just look forward to really working together.”

Immigrants or not, the core of the debate continues to be whether conscientious player protests during the anthem aimed at bringing attention to legitimate societal concerns constitute disrespect of the flag, the anthem, or the military. Friday’s remarks make it clear where the Vikings stand as an organization. Come September, the question will be whether any of the 53 players on the roster feel comfortable bucking the internal position on the issue by staying in the locker room or by daring to defy the new policy.

Assuming, of course, that the new policy hasn’t been overturned by then, either by an arbitrator or by a judge. :crazy:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06/16/18, 05:58:25 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
As a team is the key words!! I don't watch much for sports besides hockey and I have never seen any of them sit or wait in the locker room and most of these guys are European  or a Canuck. Oh ya that's right, they're caucasian...I almost forgot.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
       :reporter; ....   Vikings-49ers injury reports:

Mackensie Alexander still out, Reiff and Rhodes limited
Cornerback Mackensie Alexander was just one of two Vikings unable to practice Wednesday as the team increased preparations for Sunday’s opener against the 49ers.

September 5, 2018 — 4:24pm

:coffee: ....
Cornerback Mackensie Alexander was just one of two Vikings unable to practice Wednesday as the team increased preparations for Sunday’s opener against the 49ers.
Alexander (left ankle) and running back Roc Thomas (ankle) were sidelined at practice. Alexander has yet to practice since injuring his ankle in the Aug. 18 exhibition against Jacksonville.

Four Vikings were limited, including center Pat Elflein as he returned to practice this week. Elflein, according to the injury report, is still dealing with both ankle and shoulder rehabs. He had injuries surgically repaired on both this offseason.

Left tackle Riley Reiff (foot), cornerback Xavier Rhodes (hamstring) and cornerback Marcus Sherels (hamstring) were also limited. :violin:
The good news is receiver Stacy Coley (groin) was a full participant as he returned to practice. Coley had been sidelined since playing in the Aug. 11 preseason opener in Denver.
Receiver Adam Thielen was not even mentioned on the injury report after leaving practice a week ago. A source had told the Star Tribune his exit wasn’t a long-term concern, and he appears good to go for Sunday.
The 49ers’ initial injury report will be released later today.

Many BWCA Reports