Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: New apple  (Read 13930 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
apples smapples...........i get them delivered to the house off someone elses trees!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Ya, that's 'cuz ya couldn't grow 'em right anyway!   :doofus:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, that's 'cuz ya couldn't grow 'em right anyway!   :doofus:
:pouty: :pouty: :tut: :tut: maybe....................... BUT i could make you grow a couple big ole lumps on your noggin!!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: training-087 training-087 training-087 training-087 training-087 :dancinred: :dancinred: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ooooooh.....big threats!  Here; I got a lump for ya... :mooning:     

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
I have been harvesting pears off my Luscious tree for about 5 years now. It seems they are best ripened off the tree. As soon as they come off the tree easily, they need to be picked. If they get bruised by hitting the ground they seem to rot. We keep them in a cool place and if we want some to ripen faster we put them in a paper bag. This year my Gourmet pear has a few pears on it for the first time. It will only get better.
I haven't picked any pears yet this year, but soon I will
Last week the warden and I broke out the old cider press and made apple juice out of the better looking windfall apples. We ended up with somewhere between 15 and 16 gallons of juice out of about 11 5 gallon pails of apples.
I have to learn to pick apples off the tree when they are small. My Haralred and Fireside trees are taking a  real beating this year.
Gold apple, pfffffft  :mooning:
Maybe I will risk castration from the warden and plant another apple tree next spring.
« Last Edit: September 09/13/18, 12:47:56 PM by roony »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch,
I have been harvesting pears off my Luscious tree for about 5 years now. It seems they are best ripened off the tree. As soon as they come off the tree easily, they need to be picked. If they get bruised by hitting the ground they seem to rot. We keep them in a cool place and if we want some to ripen faster we put them in a paper bag. This year my Gourmet pear has a few pears on it for the first time. It will only get better.
I haven't picked any pears yet this year, but soon I will
Last week the warden and I broke out the old cider press and made apple juice out of the better looking windfall apples. We ended up with somewhere between 15 and 16 gallons of juice out of about 11 5 gallon pails of apples.
I have to learn to pick apples off the tree when they are small. My Haralred and Fireside trees are taking a  real beating this year.
Gold apple, pfffffft  :mooning:
Maybe I will risk castration from the warden and plant another apple tree next spring.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: if you call your pear tree luscious....................wadda call your apple trees?????????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
getting personnel huh Glenn!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
getting personnel huh Glenn!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: inguiring minds wanna know!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
      :offtopic:    Let us stick with the intriguing apple discussions, please.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
      :offtopic:    Let us stick with the intriguing apple discussions, please.
:pouty: :pouty: yea...........whatever!!!!!!!!!!!! :tut: :tut:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Here I am trying to have a cereal discussion and the little blue smurf gets off topic again. At least they donut have blue apples yet.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Here I am trying to have a cereal discussion and the little blue smurf gets off topic again. At least they donut have blue apples yet.

:taz:  Don't lead him on!!!!!!!!!!!  :doah:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Dotch, my wild plums all died around the same time that my planted ones did.    Must have had a surge of pests.  Plum curlios or something, not smurfy or reb. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

:taz:  Don't lead him on!!!!!!!!!!!  :doah:
:banghead: :banghead: :pouty: i ask a serious question and get accused of being  :offtopic: :taz: :taz: :lipsrsealed:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
We had some wonderful Superior Plums and then they died a slow painful death shortly after the wild plums started to die off. Turtle Creek Nursery says it's a fungus that is prevalent in wild plums and if you have wild plums close by you might as well forget about trying to grow plums unless you want to spray them weekly with a fungicide. I found out the hard way that cherry trees get it also.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
We had some wonderful Superior Plums and then they died a slow painful death shortly after the wild plums started to die off. Turtle Creek Nursery says it's a fungus that is prevalent in wild plums and if you have wild plums close by you might as well forget about trying to grow plums unless you want to spray them weekly with a fungicide. I found out the hard way that cherry trees get it also.

That must be what got mine as well.  It took out all the wild ones too.   Something else got the cherry tree.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman

That must be what got mine as well.  It took out all the wild ones too.   Something else got the cherry tree.

George Washington?  :azn:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
The Warden and I picked 4 pails of Luscious pears this morning. Also found 16 of the Gourmet pears on another tree, first pears we've had off of that tree.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have heard, no personal experience, that pears need to be picked  before they are totally ripe and allowed to ripen off the tree.   Personally I never planted any pear trees.   

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I heard that shipping someone half a dozen pears will bring you good luck.   :rotflmao:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
We're all done with pears as of today. We picked the last dozen...... Pears seem to go every other year, last year's crop was minimal... this year we had quite a few.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
I have heard, no personal experience, that pears need to be picked  before they are totally ripe and allowed to ripen off the tree.   Personally I never planted any pear trees.

That is pretty much right. Pears are more delicate than apples also and spoil quickly if bruised.
I'd say maybe about 4 pears out of all we picked were ripe enough to eat, the rest will ripen inside.
Putting them in a paper bag speeds up the ripening.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Glad you mentioned that roony. I need to check the trees today again and probably pick what I can. In the past couple days some of the ground falls I brought in a few weeks ago finally started to change colors and get a little softer. So I sliced one in half for breakfast. OMG was it good! Texture was about perfect not mealy, very juicy and very sweet. Not much of a core either. Patience is a virtue I guess or as Seinfeld put it, fruit's a gamble.  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
got to get me some pears!!!!  to bad it will be store bought...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
We're all done with pears as of today. We picked the last dozen...... Pears seem to go every other year, last year's crop was minimal... this year we had quite a few.

Apples do that too.  Has to do with the tradeoff between making buds for next year or making fruit this year.   Thinning the fruit can help this problem, along with getting nicer fruit in the fall.    At least for apples.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I have crab apples every other year. This coming spring will be no flowers or anything. Bears on the even years.

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I have crab apples every other year. This coming spring will be no flowers or anything. Bears on the even years.

If you don't want the actual crab apples, there is stuff you can spray on to make them fall off.  Sevin will do it if you put it on in June.   Probably newer stuff available too.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They fall off on their own, silly. All over my yard. Mushy, fermented mess.  Drunken skwirrels and birds raisin' he** all over.  :angry:   :rotflmao:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 09/16/18, 04:46:31 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
This makes them fall off in spring while still tiny..... not in winter after they are full grown.  Basically keeps fruit from setting.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
As far as I always knew, Sevin is an insecticide...and it kills honeybees, too. NOT gonna be used by me! I plant lotsa bee friendly flowers and plants, sure ain't gonna kill 'em off! :angry:
« Last Edit: September 09/16/18, 05:55:25 PM by Rebel SS »