Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Polaris 450 bogging out  (Read 4223 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Any ideas? Polaris. Offer out today like it was running out of gas.. had full tank .. I was giving it a lot of throttle going through some muck and it sounded like it was going to choke out? Going to pull air cleaner and plug in the morning. Wondering if anyone has had this before. It’s a 2006.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Ours is a Grizzly & no issues with that but we had some problems with our boat motor. It was fouling out bad until I ran almost a full can of Seafoam through it with the next 6 gallons of gas. Then I switched from non- oxy premium gas to regular unleaded & haven't had a problem since.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Spent some time today changed the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter, oil and added some seafoam... ran like new after that. Also zip tied up a few cracks in the plastic
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
always use good gas and sea foam or satybill!!!!
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I always grab the “hot rod” non oxygenated gas when I can. Use that in the small chainsaw lawnmower and stuff also

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
That's all ya should use in any small engine. (and boat) Non-oxy. Real gas.  Even Kwik-trips have a non-oxy pump. :happy1:
« Last Edit: September 09/10/18, 08:33:14 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Our Yammie 115 hp owners manual says regular unleaded gas of at least 86 octane. Later on the manual says higher octane may be used but it may cause the motor to carbon up, it seems to make a big difference with our outboard. I've checked around & all the non-oxy I can find is premium & 91 octane. That loads ours up bad if you don't run it wide open all the time. :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting Gunner, I have not heard that before.  I use primo non oxy in my small engines.  And a splash of Sea Foam.
« Last Edit: September 09/11/18, 08:49:37 AM by LPS »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
huh?
boar.............just use fireball to run them canoe paddles!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe it was some old non-oxy, I'll havta try it again with some from M & H in GR, that I know isn't old.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Interesting Gunner, I have not heard that before.  I use primo non oxy in my small engines.  And a splash of Sea Foam.

Never heard that either. All non-oxy is 91 octane.(around here, anyway) I second Barry on the above. I'd try it again, Gunner.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
same as Barry here too.... 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Lower octane burns at a lower temp than high octane, and actually puts out more BTU's of energy than a higher octane...really! One does not burn "cleaner" than the other. Should not be any effect of "carbon build up" when using straight gas. If it's mixed gas, and yer not using a good synthetic or semi-syn, with lots of low end running, and higher octane, then I could see that.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Boy there are many theories on which octane to use in various engines.  Rebel SS is right, about higher octane and higher temp.  That is why high compression engines "ping" on regular and require high octane to prevent pre-ignition similar to how a diesel engine works.  I have had starting problems with small engines using premium fuel.  Switched to regular 87 and no more issues. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
all the new new Harleys call for 91 and I only had to put 87 in it once.  didn't seem to matter...  but still buy the 91....

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Used to field the same gazillion questions on my ice auger site, guys dumping in premium and telling everyone how much better it is to run. NOT for a small 2-3 HP 2 stroke air-cooled engine, it's not. That and the engines that are designed to run 50:1, they'd bump 'em to 100:1 mix so ya don't "Get all that smoke and fouled plugs". If yer engine is tuned right, has the right plugs and gas, you don't get smoke and fouled plugs. Then they wondered why their top end was sizzled. I used to race and build Yamaha motorcycle engines back in the day, and know a thing or two. I've never had "smoke and fouled plugs." But ya can't tell some people anything... :rolleyes: Got so bad, I just gave up the column and said to heck with it. Wasn't worth all the arguing back and forth with the curbstone mechanics. .

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
all the new new Harleys call for 91 and I only had to put 87 in it once.  didn't seem to matter...  but still buy the 91....

That's cuz their Evolution engines are 11:1 comp ratio, and 10:1 on the other engines. Need the higher octane. Try running 87 oct in a built 455 with 16:1 comp ratio and hemi heads.... :doah:  Stick with the higher octane, Mikey.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I do thanks!!!!