Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Tomato freezing methods  (Read 3214 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good morning all of you tomato raisers.  I used to blanch my tomatoes then pull the peelings off and freeze them.  Sort of a bag of mush but perfect for soups and stews.  A couple of years ago the wife just threw tomatoes in a freezer ziploc bag and froze them.  How easy is that.  They look nice too.  Still works to throw in a soup or stew or hot dish.  Now I wonder if it is worth the time to go through the blanching.  I suppose a guy gets more in a bag when they are blanched.  What do yous guys do?? 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so, when i got a whole bunch of extras, i wash them off, cut out bad spots and run them thru a food proccessor. i try to just get them chopped up so it dont take much. i then take a cake pan, spray it with pam, pour the maters in the cake pan. freeze it. when froze i stick in microwave for about a minute, this loosens it up from the pan. throw it in bread bags doubled up and throw back in the freezer.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good idea Glenn..  I'm not sure I am OK using the Food Processor while home alone and without the wifes Supervision!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
I do the blanch thing, 'cuz I don't want icky skins after being frozen throughout my food.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
 Good point.  Ok I am on it boys. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I do the blanch thing, 'cuz I don't want icky skins after being frozen throughout my food.
big baby!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
They get stuck in yer teeth and stay there!  Who wants to eat a buncha stingy 'mater skins?! :puke:
« Last Edit: September 09/11/18, 09:31:35 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
We just throw them in a ziploc freezer bag and into the freezer. When we take them out we just run them under hot water from the faucet and the peels come right off. Works easy enough for us. No peels to get stuck in your teeth.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I shoulda said ones that are coarse chopped or chunked up.....maybe it was stoopid to do that to 'em with the skin on. Glenn, shut up!  :moon:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I ended up doing the JB method.  Brought all of the red ones in from the garage where they have been ripening.  Rinsed them off just took the top of the stem area off and put them in Freezer Zip Locks.  Got 7 qts.  Actually fun.  Hunter, fisher, gatherer that we all are here. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Weren't you doing the "paper wrap" thing? I can't remember....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
No this worked pretty darn easy.  Hot as heck here too so I didn't want to do the blanching.  If it was cold out I may though.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I mean wrapping them in newspaper to ripen, and tuck away....I had posted on doing that to ripen green ones....

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
OH ya the paper wrap thing you told me about.  Sorry Rebs I didn't get it at first.  Yes I found a big flat box and I line it with old Outdoor News mags.  Then sit it on the deep freeze in the garage.  Lay papers over the top and it works great!!!  That flat full made the 7 qts that I froze.  Some of them were 2 weeks old and still just fine.