Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a Conservation Officer  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
:police:  Ask a Conservation Officer:

What can I do if I'm attacked by an animal? :scratch:

Q: What can I do if a big animal like a bear, coyote or wolf is charging me while ruffed grouse hunting? Am I able to defend myself? What if my dog is attacked?

A: People have the right to defend themselves and other people against an attack by an animal; however, that threat must be immediate and legitimately life threatening. In other words, if a bear or wolf is charging you and you have no other option but to shoot it to defend yourself or another person, you may shoot it. In addition, you must report the taken animal to a Conservation Officer immediately. Coyotes are unprotected, meaning that they may be shot to protect life or property.

Under Minnesota State Statute, a person may take a bear at any time to protect that person's property. Dogs are considered property, so a bear attacking your dog would be legal to shoot as long as you report the incident to a Conservation Officer within 48 hours.
Until late 2014, Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin had the legal authority to manage wolves within their respective states. During that time in Minnesota, it was legal to take a wolf if it was destroying property i.e. livestock, domestic pets, etc.

However, since wolves are now again federally protected and no longer managed at the state level, it would be a violation of federal law to take a wolf if it was attacking your property, including your dog.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
If a wolf was attacking my dog, I'd blow him clean away. Screw that stupid rule.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Without hesitation.  Same if one was in the pasture bothering the horses. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup. wouldn't even think twice about it.  :fudd:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, and just think... wolves are still thriving anyway.

Don't tell me they need to be protected federally.  Dang activist judges.

Offline savage270

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
:police:  Ask a Conservation Officer:

What can I do if I'm attacked by an animal? :scratch:

Coyotes are unprotected, meaning that they may be shot to protect life or property.

I wonder if the Wolf lover, tree hugging, tofu farting, fairies in their New York lofts would be hypocrites about what animals are ok to die if they knew poor Coyotes "little Wolves" were expendable and can be wasted at any time?  :scratch:  But, they may not have read that in their National Geographics?  :coffee:
« Last Edit: September 09/12/18, 05:03:01 PM by Leech~~ »
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Bet they'd shoot one if they lived in the Vegas suburbs and one grabbed little Fluffy the schnauzapoo for a snack.......

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet they'd shoot one if they lived in the Vegas suburbs and one grabbed little Fluffy the schnauzapoo for a snack.......

Except the wolf lovers don't have guns.  They would expect everyone else to drop everything and come save them.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Not sure what I would have done if I had a gun when I encountered that bear a few weeks ago.  If I had the gun pointed at him and he charged, I would have had time for one shot. Maybe.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :scratch: :scratch: Hmm.........nuttin on getting attacked by 2 legged cougars????? :doah: i have that issues alot!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!